shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions deciding btwn 2 antique rings

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Hi, I would really appreciate help deciding on a setting. I have a soft spot for antiques. The first setting is an antique reproduction and the second setting is a true 1920s deco. The thing is, my stone is a MRB (3 ct). I couldn't find an antique stone that fit my criteria. I don't know if these settings will look amiss w/a MRB. Please tell me which setting you prefer and whether it needs an antique stone to look right. Thank you!

The first one is a antique repo. In the photos on my hand, it is the one on the left - ignore the bezel mine would be prong set like the first photo. Also after finding this setting, I saw twosanguinehearts had a similar one for her OMC, which I thought was absolutely gorgeous. Minor detail but I think I would want the small round diamond on the side in a kite setting like hers.

img_1846.jpg

img_1865.jpg

img_1867.jpg

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Here is the art deco ring:

img_1891.jpg

img_1890.jpg

img_990.jpg

inyminy

Rough_Rock
First setting next to my stone (in temp ring holder)

_7060.jpg

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Sorry don't know why the pic rotated. Here is twosanquinehearts ring w/the side kite setting detail I like. Hope she doesn't mind me posting.

cushionhalo.jpg

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Hi luvsdmb, I actually visited that store and while they have many beautiful rings, most of them were not capable of holding a stone of that size.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Do you for sure want a halo?

I love that last ring you posted. :naughty:

inyminy

Rough_Rock
I'm actually not a halo girl. It just so happens these particular ones have them. The last ring is actually the same as the first it's just a cushion shape (which I don't want). I think it looks so much better because 1. it doesn't have the bezel & 2. it's a much better quality photo.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't see the details of the 2nd one you posted :(sad but the first one is beautiful!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That second one reminds me of CharmyPoo's vintage setting, which I adore ... but which I can't picture with a modern round, somehow. Also, a true antique is likely to have single cuts, which will be a bigger contrast with a modern round brilliant. I love SingleStone, I love that setting, I vote #1 all the way.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I think both are beautiful, but for some reason, the first setting does not seem very sparkly. The contrast is especially great on the shot where you have the ring next to your stone in the temp setting and it comes off as dullish. Is it just the lighting? They would have to match the melee or I would find it very distracting.

For that reason I prefer the art deco setting as the halo is thinner and it complements your large stone better.

inyminy

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your input. Peacechick, the second store had more advantageous lighting, but you're right the SS setting is dull. Every time I see the setting in pictures I love it, but in person it was underwhelming. I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause, but maybe that's it. I feel like I see too much metal and not enough sparkly stones. How can I get the reality to match the photos? Can one ask for more sparkly melee? Is there a certain kind that's blingier than the other?

The art deco ring doesn't have a typical halo in that the melee goes around the gallery, not the side of the stone. I like that it's less pronounced, but don't like how there's an airline between the stone and the halo. Gosh I wish someone could reach into my brain and determine what the best ring for me would be.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I vote for the twosanquinehearts ring, mainly because I like cushion halos better for round stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results