shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhilipMilmore

Rough_Rock
Hi all:

I''m shopping for a diamond for an engagement ring. The following three stones have surfaced as the leading candidates. I''ve seen each of them and they all look great. I''d appreciate anyone''s opinion about the diamonds themselves as well as the appropriateness of the prices. All are round brilliant:

Diamond A

EGL Cert
1.22 ct
7.02-6.94x4.14
depth 59.3%
width 57%
crown height 15%
Pavilion depth 43%
Girdle- thin-fac
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Culet None
Cl- VVS2
Color- F
Fluorescence- None
Last quoted price- $9490

Diamond B

GIA Graded
1.33 carat
6.99 - 7.04 x 4.38
Depth 62.4%
Table 57%
Girdle- med to sthk-fac
Culet None
Polish Good
Symmetry- Very good
Cl VS2
Color E
Fluoresence- None
Last quoted price- $9775

Diamond C

EGL Cert
1.26 carat
6.99 - 6.92 x 4.25
depth 61.2%
table 58%
crown height 13%
Pavilion height 44%
Girdle Med fac
polish- good to VG
Symmetry- excellent
Culet- None
Cl VS1
Color D
Fluorescence- V Slight Blue
Last quoted price- $9,800

Thanks for your assistance.

Philip Milmore

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure the more diamond-focused folks will be happy to analyze the crown angles etc.
Just my .02, but I don''t really care for EGL Certs. They have a reputation for grading, ah, kindly. I''ve heard this mostly in regards with color tho.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Based on the stats you have posted, these are all similar. #1 is more shallow, #2 is more deep, #3 seems "just right" from a depth perspective. Can you get more info or look at them in person with an idealscope? The colors are going to be indiscernable to most, as will the clarity since they are all high... (of these I like the VS2 clarity for value the best). So it all comes down to cut and performance.

EGL can be just fine -- read the lab grading report that Leonid and Garry did a while back to get a better feel EGL Isreal is known for being a soft grader, so you would need to have an independent opinion to know whether you were paying for what you were really getting or not. You shoudl do that with any stone. EGL stones can be a good value because of EGL''s rep. The cert doesn''t change what the stone really is, so if you get it verified, you might get a bit of a deal with an EGL cert.

PhilipMilmore

Rough_Rock
Thanks for both replies. My favorvite is diamond C and although I like the jeweler, I don''t know him well enough to know if I can trust his assertion that the diamond is a true D VS1. EGL diamonds appear to be discounted on-line 10-15% vs GIA so I''m concerned about what the market is telling me. I''d like to get an independent appraisal but I don''t know if I have time. Incidently, the jeweler for Diamond C balked at a sale conditional upon an independent appraisal saying that all I needed was the GIA report.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif
Diamond A actually scored the best on the HCA - a 1.2 Excellent, interesting that you prefer diamond C, however the eyes are the best judge. Personally I don't have a problem with EGL USA and I have a fab diamond which has been graded by them, just be aware that although the price may be less than GIA , the grading some consider might not be as accurate. However if you love the diamond, get an independant appraisal to ensure the diamond is as represented and you could find a great deal. The reason cutters send some diamonds to EGL to be certified is that hopefully the diamond might get a better grade with them than GIA, but I have heard that EGL USA has tightened their standards during the past year. The crux of the matter is this- if you fall in love with a diamond regardless of who certified it, it appraises correctly then that is as good if not better a reason to purchase it than many. If diamond C " speaks " to you, you have done your homework and are satisfied that this is the diamond for you then great. Also bear in mind that if having an undisputable D colour is very important to you, there is a chance albeit small that it might appraise as an E or F and SI1 - 2 in clarity, but if this is fine with you and the diamond is eyeclean all well and good.

PhilipMilmore

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your comments.

One last question- Diamond B has the lowest polish/ symmetry rating at:

Polish Good
Symmetry- Very good

To what extent does this affect the market value. The jeweler is telling me that it''s an "ideal" cut but this particular jeweler is a very fast talker.

Thanks, Philip

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
It makes me leery that the seller of diamond C refuses to let you have it appraised. I would not purchase the diamond because of that. If he thought the diamond would come back with the same grading, he shouldn''t really care if it is appraised. ESPECIALLY due to the fact that it is EGL.

Also, you said that he said that all you need is the GIA but that diamond is EGL. Was that a mistake?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert but I will try to answer this. Many " Ideal" cuts can be just the vendor''s " best" looking diamonds and aren''t actually Ideal regarding the proportions - these can vary so it can be a loosely used term - ask him exactly what he means by his Ideal Cuts and how he decides which ones are. Regarding the polish and symmetry, most of the killer top notch Ideal Cuts will have Ideal to excellent and many will settle for nothing below this. However many experts think that with good and above polish and symmetry will appear the same to the untrained eye, it takes an expert to discern minute differences. Hope this helps. These are probably lovely diamonds you are looking at and very beautiful, but they are not the cream of the crop with cut quality, then you would need to do some serious research and homework to get one of the Super Ideal cuts which many online vendors specialize in such as Whiteflash with their Hearts and Arrows Cuts and Expert Selections which are fantastic diamonds. But for a lovely sparkly better than average performing diamond these might fit the bill for you. Go by what your eyes tell you above all as you have seen the diamonds.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good vendor shouldn't have a problem with you getting a diamond independantly appraised and should be fine with this request. This is untrue that all you need is the GIA report, it is best to have the diamond verified by an independant expert to check that colour and clarity match the cert, check for durability issues and many other reasons. I would be very concerned if a vendor refused me this.....if these guys won't allow you to get the appraisal done during the return period and allow you to return it if not as stated I would go elsewhere quite frankly, too many diamonds and good vendors out there who will back you all the way out there to settle for taking a chance it will be ok on such a large purchase. I would ask my self why this vendor balked at your appraisal request, if the diamond is fine he really should not have a problem with it. It is routine and even encouraged by many vendors for you to do this so I would be very careful. JMO.

PhilipMilmore

Rough_Rock
Yes- it was a mistake- it was the jeweler for Diamond B that indicated that the GIA grade should suffice. In fairness to him, I''m pretty sure I annoyed him because he offered the diamond to me at $9775 on Wed & on Thurs I asked him if he would sell it to me for $9300. He refused to come off his original price and became kind of obnoxious saying things like- "ok, the price is $10,600 but I''ll bring it down to $9775 so there, I''ve come off my price" and "I''m doing you a favor by offering it at this price". It was actually an unpleasant experience but maybe provoked by my naivete in dealing with these guys.

Thanks and sorry for the mis-information.

Philip

PhilipMilmore

Rough_Rock
For those who replied, I''d like to thank them again and provide the end of the story. I ended up buying Diamond C- 1.26 Ct, D VS1, at a little discount under the last quoted price. I picked it up this morning, took it to an independent appraiser who came up with the same ratings as EGL except she was a little tougher on the fluoresence (which I felt I could live with).

Philip

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations! It sounds like a beautiful stone, and you went about it the right way to ensure you were getting what you were paying for.

Show us a picture!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats, I liked that stone the best. Pics please when you get a chance!!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results