shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions About Cut on 3ct Emerald Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jodi

Rough_Rock
Can anyone give me an opinion about the cut of this stone? I''m looking at a 3.01 ct emerald cut and the seller says it has very good polish and excellent symmetry, no fluorescence. The dimensions are: 66.7% depth x 62% table and the measurements are: 9.11x7.92x4.72mm...is this good proportion? Anyone?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
It looks promising. Can you request a Sarin so we can get more data on it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it that you haven't seen it? As Hest said, a Sarin would be very helpful. An idealscope picture give a little more clue as to how this EC will perform. What is the crown height?

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
I agree, the numbers look promising. They are not great, but they are good. The main reason being that the depth is "little" higher: depth around 60-64 range or even 65 would have increased the spread (surface area). I would look out for the crown height% in the sarin report. If the crown% is between 11-16, it should be good, with higher crown% meaning more fire. Also a higher crown% will compensate for the depth you mentioned.

Jodi

Rough_Rock
I"m sorry, I''m a complete novice. what is a sarin?

Jodi

Rough_Rock
Here is the link to the ring I''m looking at. I really like it on looks alone but it is not certified, so I''m very unsure. My husband and I are celebrating 15 years of marriage this year and I love the EC, more square types. This looks just right to me and the price is very, very good to me...but, of course, it''s not certified so I don''t know if it is what it says it is. An NGL certificate is 3rd rate, I''m told, so it''s likely a color and clarity down than what they say

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4959554895

Jodi

Rough_Rock
Just found out, it''s an 11.5 % crown

kevinraja

Shiny_Rock
Sarin report is a report that details all measurements of a diamond, including angles.

Couple of concerns:

1. Experts on this forum usually DO NOT recommend buying uncertified diamonds, especially from ebay.

2. From the link to your diamond of interest, it looks like the Emerald is more square to traditional rectangle.

Windowshopper not so recently bought a 3ct emerald diamond, WS can you please weight in on this one?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
hi

well--i personally would NEVER buy such an item off ebay unless it was a KNOWN seller like diamonds by aluren or somebody like that--- or buy what i consider uncertified. however the stone actually looks decent with all the numbers so if the seller is ny based or there is return ability or the option of a sale contingent on appraisal it may be worth investigating

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2005 2
6.gif
0:28 PM
Author: Jodi
Here is the link to the ring I''m looking at. I really like it on looks alone but it is not certified, so I''m very unsure. My husband and I are celebrating 15 years of marriage this year and I love the EC, more square types. This looks just right to me and the price is very, very good to me...but, of course, it''s not certified so I don''t know if it is what it says it is. An NGL certificate is 3rd rate, I''m told, so it''s likely a color and clarity down than what they say

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4959554895

is the one you want this 3.71 hvvs stone..............the NGL shown is just a sample????????????????????? it doesnt say what you have shared with us

Cath

Shiny_Rock
Since the diamond you are considering is being sold by Shenoa and Co., you might want to do a search on this site for "Shenoa" and read other people''s experiences with the seller before taking the plunge on so much money.

Jodi

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for weighing in on this! I appreciate it. The measurements and crown I got from the Shenoa rep I''m dealing with. I know it''s a gamble, but they seem reputable (have both a brick and mortor location and a internet store) and a money-back guarantee...I"m still looking locally though. The uncertified thing is what bothers me, but all the #s are looking good for me, a lot of bang for the buck and more square, which I like a lot.

I''m taking everything you guys say to heart - and really, really appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Jodi

Rough_Rock
My husband is concerned that the setting is hiding something, because it is a platinum basket with metal all the way around and down. This is a NY based company with a 5 day full money back guarantee, so we''ll see. We''re still thinking about it and looking locally - I''m very new to pricescope, by the way, and amazed at all this feedback. It''s good to hear other''s opinions that don''t seem biased. Again, thanks.

Hi, Jody:

Welcome!!!!

I''m not an emerald cut expert, but I did look quite a bit before selecting my ring with my wonderful fiance. I got some good advice that may prove helpful to you as well:

1) I was told to go with a G color or better on an emerald cut. That advice proved really helpful, because some lower colored stones that I''ve since seen appeared quite yellow. Emerald cuts seem to really show their true colors. J or K colored round stones that I''ve seen look incredibly pretty - the same color in emerald cuts that I''ve seen look soooooo dark.

2) I was told that a GIA certified stone is worth the money. Personally, I found that having the cert with a smaller stone was more important than a larger stone with no cert. Emerald cuts show EVERYTHING -- and a cert that isn''t based on rigid standards could really mislead someone, in my humble opinion.

3) I was told to go with a VS or higher clarity. The step cut allows the viewer to look deeply into the stone with little faceting -- think of ice, because that''s what these stones should look like.

4) If you''re going to buy online, buy from a seller who is willing to send the stone to an appraiser of your choosing. Emerald cuts in particular are so difficult to choose based soley on specs. I really feel that you have to see these beauties in person. I can''t say enough good things about Whiteflash, the vendor I used to set my stones. They were so honest with me, and their prices seem extermely fair.

I ended up with a smaller center stone than I might have had we gone with a different approach, but I''m extremely happy with my ring. The other day someone told me that my ring had more sparkle than any other diamond she''d seen. A well cut stone that is a beautiful color actually looks larger (to me, anyway). Many people, including jewelers, think my 1.17 G VS1 center stone is actually 1.5 carats.

I hope you don''t mind all this input. I just want to make sure you''re getting the best you can get for your money.

Last, but not least, congrats on your 15 years with your husband. What a wonderful way to celebrate! Enjoy!!!

Smiles, Mary

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For something that BIG there should be a GIA cert somewhere along the line... If not, at least an agreement from the seller that the sale is not final until you have obtained a confirmation of grading from an independent party (grading lab or apprasal). For these, buying the stone loose is a good start.

In setting, weight cannot be checked, proportions only approximately and color / clarity grades would be given with at least one grade approximation... All of which add up to allot of cash. I have no checked the price, if it looks like a bargain, one or all of these details may as well account for it.

As much as I remember, one of the customer reports about Shenoa recounts allot of hassle obtaining their refund. You may want to check that.

Provided there can be an appraisal or, even better, certification by AGS or GIA by the seller before delivery... why on Earth not. Without, I''d be really sweating awaiting that delivery
32.gif

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Jodi -

Here is a link that will bring you to Shenoa''s neutral and negative feedback. If you look, many of the negatives have been mutually withdrawn so they aren''t counted in their rating. The comments are all very similiar.

Shenoa feedback

This is just to fully inform yourself before you spend such a large sum on eBay.

Jodi

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice...yeah, I''ve definitly got a new perspective. And, of course, after just following that link and reading the neutral/negs on Shenoa, I''m disappointed to see so much similar feedback, even if a lot of it was withdrawn. I''m going to check Whiteflash like suggested to see if a stone with the same ''specs'' so to speak is in the same $ ballpark, and of course, locally. Now that Mardi Gras is over and the tourists are leaving and shops will get back to thier reg. hours, my area will go back to normal...well, semi-normal. :)

Good night everybody,
Jodi

skimmy

Rough_Rock
my 2 cents...

we recently were in the market for a 3ct sq emerald and considered shenoa and co as well. one of my co-workers had gone to them for his engagement ring and several custom made pieces and he had nothing but high praise for his guy there. i would second the opinion that they are a reputable company. the guy i met with spent quite a bit of time searching for what i was looking for and came back with very competitive prices per carat. he also made the jewelry himself and told me he''d make me whatever i wanted. i''d be more than happy to share his contact info with you if you would like to contact someone directly. i would think they might be a bit more flexible with the price if you went directly to them and that you might feel more comfortable with the whole process.

hope that helps!

amytude

Shiny_Rock
Jodi--do yourself a favor and just don''t get a diamond off ebay. Don''t flame me for this--it''s just MO (BTW, I''m an ebay seller). I just got my diamond in today from DCD--looks great, going to the appraiser tomorrow. BTW, it''s a 1.78 EC.

First of all, are you having ANY luck with local jewelers getting in a stone for you to look at? I''m assuming you''ve seen in person a stone in your carat range. I had some difficulty finding what I wanted locally, so I wasn''t sure if you were having any success.

Have you done a search here on pricescope, yet? If you read more of kevinraja''s & windowshopper''s posts (maybe even mine), a well cut emerald will have a table & depth between 59-65%. You will probably want a VS2 (or higher); however, my SI1 looks eye clean and I believe kevinraja has an EC eye clean SI1 as well. For color, I''d say G or higher, but that''s just MO again.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Shenoa in the Diamond District. They were very nice but they did not have what I wanted and I was reluctant to waste their time sending for stones because I got the impression their prices were high.

I wonder why a stone of this size does not have a GIA cert.

There are several very reputable vendors on Pricescope. I bought from Whiteflash and was very pleased. If they do not have what you want in their inventory, they will look for one. Brian, the cutter, examines every stone before it goes out and will discuss it with you at length.

They will also send the stone to a reputable appraiser where you can see it and have it appraised before you pay. I recommend Whteflash very highly. There are several other Pricescope vendors who are highly regarded and I am sure will give you excellent service: GoodOldGold, EngagementRingsDirect, DirtCheap Diamonds, Diamonds Direct and a few others.

I know many people are reluctant to buy on the internet. My husband was very resistant. But Whiteflash made the procedure very easy and pleasant. You might try calling a few of the vendors and discuss what you are looking for. You really have to be careful when you are buying an emerald cut and I think you would do best if you look at what is available on the multiple listing and in stock( Whiteflash has their Expert Selection. The stones are chosen for high quality and good value). Then you can get an idea of what is available in your price range.

But I think you would do best if you buy from a vendor who will actually see and discuss the stone rather than one who has it drop shipped.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results