shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this elongated cushion?

doingmybest

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I am proposing to my girlfriend in May. She loves elongated cushions... as do I! We have done some searching in person and I found this one on BlueNile: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD21658640

Seems to be pretty perfect in every sense besides the VS2. I will be purchasing a yellow gold band so the Color I shouldn't be too bad at all. Only crystal and needles as well. No clouds.

The LW ratio is also amazing. We saw a 2.3ct Color I in person with the same cut (based on the GIA report photo) and that's going for $19,500 because it's IF.

What does everyone think? Thank you so much!

TXwidow

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone!

I am proposing to my girlfriend in May. She loves elongated cushions... as do I! We have done some searching in person and I found this one on BlueNile: https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD21658640

Seems to be pretty perfect in every sense besides the VS2. I will be purchasing a yellow gold band so the Color I shouldn't be too bad at all. Only crystal and needles as well. No clouds.

The LW ratio is also amazing. We saw a 2.3ct Color I in person with the same cut (based on the GIA report photo) and that's going for $19,500 because it's IF.

What does everyone think? Thank you so much!

Have you compared it to the Brian Gavin cushion cuts? https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...diamonds::shape=Cushion&pf_rs2_size=2.00:2.35

Last edited:

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Hi. Congratulations on your upcoming engagement. I am not an expert so I can't help you, but I'm sure someone who can will be along soon. Weekends tend to be slow.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a little mushy in the faceting. Watch it as it turns. There are areas at both ends that are mushy. I only screenshot one. It is more difficult to find an elongated stone without it, but this would not be my pick unless you have seen and loved it. It looks like there's some mushiness also at where 6:00 would be. Now this could be an issue with the video setup, but I don't love it personally.

Screenshot_20230314-175609.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Also, if I was shopping for an elongated cushion, I probably would reach out to David at Diamonds by Lauren.

Yes, they do specialize in yellow and fancy color, but he and his team have a really good eye for unique cut stones and looking for stones that are not the average modern round. In a nutshell, I would trust them and have trusted them for fancy cuts.

This is an example of a cut that I think is more visibly pleasing than the stone you link. Yes, it's a very different size and very different color, but if I was looking for a stone that was elongated I would prefer that faceting versus the linked one.

Different preferences of course, but I think it would be worth reaching out to David.

StephanieStephaniya

Rough_Rock
Hi there, you mentioned that you prefer the faceting on a stone that's more visually pleasing to you than the one that was linked. While it's a different size and color, you would still prefer that particular cut if you were shopping for an elongated cushion.

While they specialize in yellow and fancy color stones, they have a great eye for finding cuts that are not your average modern round, nice one.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Can you post a video?

doingmybest

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 - What do you think of the diamond in the photos above? I trust your instinct.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you provide the link to the stone that you provided pictures of on a finger?
Is that the first BN link?

The first one you linked is not bad. On a tilt, it will show mush on one end and "nice" facets on the other end so I dont really
take that into account because that's almost any fancy-cut stone. This stone does show some mushiness around the edge of
the table (typical). I think this stone will have a decent combination of bigger facets (for those bigger flashes of fire) and smaller
twinkly facets that can only be seen up close.

If you are able to view it in person, try viewing it outside of the jeweler's lights to see if you are good with how it looks.

Most of the other links in this thread did not work for me.
BGD link did not work
rare carat link did not work
Whiteflash link didn't work

doingmybest

Rough_Rock
Can you provide the link to the stone that you provided pictures of on a finger?
Is that the first BN link?

The first one you linked is not bad. On a tilt, it will show mush on one end and "nice" facets on the other end so I dont really
take that into account because that's almost any fancy-cut stone. This stone does show some mushiness around the edge of
the table (typical). I think this stone will have a decent combination of bigger facets (for those bigger flashes of fire) and smaller
twinkly facets that can only be seen up close.

If you are able to view it in person, try viewing it outside of the jeweler's lights to see if you are good with how it looks.

Most of the other links in this thread did not work for me.
BGD link did not work
rare carat link did not work
Whiteflash link didn't work

Can you give your opinion on the photos I attached? Not the link but the ring on the finger. Thank you! Your opinion on the original Blue Nile one is helpful too!

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
You really need a video to give an opinion. You can’t tell how the diamond reacts from a still photo.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you give your opinion on the photos I attached? Not the link but the ring on the finger. Thank you! Your opinion on the original Blue Nile one is helpful too!

Its about the same as I commented on the BN linked one. Bigger facets in the middle and smaller facets under the edge of the table.
I think this is a good combination of both big and small flashes. The only other "look" I would like in a cushion is all big facets (big
flashes). I'm not a fan of crushed ice cushions which would mostly be small twinkly flashes but lots of them. Do you know what "look" you want to see in a cushion?

Bigger facets in red (very nice light return and will have bigger flashes). This area will also tend to go dark in bright sunlight just
like a well-cut round brilliant that returns light well. Smaller, twinkly facets around the edge of the table outlined in blue. These
tend to be more virtual facets.

How did the facets near the edge of the table look as you tilted it from North to South? Sometimes the stronger center facets will
stretch out to the edge of the table (this is good). Sometimes not, but as long as it doesn't go mushy (gray/no twinkles) it should be
ok. Mushy = gray with no twinkles or minimal twinkles (bad)
cushion.png

Last edited:

doingmybest

Rough_Rock
Its about the same as I commented on the BN linked one. Bigger facets in the middle and smaller facets under the edge of the table.
I think this is a good combination of both big and small flashes. The only other "look" I would like in a cushion is all big facets (big
flashes). I'm not a fan of crushed ice cushions which would mostly be small twinkly flashes but lots of them. Do you know what "look" you want to see in a cushion?

Bigger facets in red (very nice light return and will have bigger flashes). This area will also tend to go dark in bright sunlight just
like a well-cut round brilliant that returns light well. Smaller, twinkly facets around the edge of the table outlined in blue. These
tend to be more virtual facets.

How did the facets near the edge of the table look as you tilted it from North to South? Sometimes the stronger center facets will
stretch out to the edge of the table (this is good). Sometimes not, but as long as it doesn't go mushy (gray/no twinkles) it should be
ok. Mushy = gray with no twinkles or minimal twinkles (bad)
cushion.png

Amazing I really appreciate the write up!!! @tyty333 - if I’m looking for LW ratio of 1.2+, are larger facets on the entire thing even possible?

I agree that I prefer the larger facets I just haven’t seen one (so far) that has them on the entire diamond with such an elongated cut? Is it a fruitless search? Thank you sir!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results