shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this 1.35 RB H Vs1

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Love to hear any feedback on this diamond. While it's HCA checks out well, I recognize it has VG symmetry and VG polish, which I hear can impact HCA scores. I also noticed the GIA report is from Aug, 2011...Price seemed right: $9416. Thanks!

Carat Weight:1.35
Cut:Excellent
Color:H
Clarity:VS1
GIACertificate No:5131802260
Depth:61.20
Table:56.00
Polish:Very Good
Symmetry:Very Good
Girdle:TN-STK
Culet:None
Fluorescence:None
Ratio:0.00
Measurements:7.11x7.17x4.37

61.2% depth, 56% table, 33.5° crown angle, 41° pavilion angle
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.0 - Excellent

GIA Report: http://images.b2cjewels.com/Images//Certificate//2539750.pdf

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Looks good. Can you get Idealscope image? VG sym and polish is completely fine.

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Also: B2C was unable to provide me w/ a idealscope for it, but sent me these so-so images.

2539750_image_2.jpg

2539750_image_3.jpg

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately, it's really tough to make any use of those photos. You need a face on shot, where the line of sight is completely perpendicular to the table.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
teobdl|1403731793|3701052 said:
Unfortunately, it's really tough to make any use of those photos. You need a face on shot, where the line of sight is completely perpendicular to the table.

Hi RnR,

As Teo rightly mentions, we can't tell much by just those photos unfortunately and even with clear detailed photos, any info we can gain is limited, ASET or Idealscope are really what's needed. Symmetry and polish don't affect the HCA score, VG and above for each are said to be indistinguishable to the naked untrained eye so should be no worries there for this type of non Superideal branded stone. The proportions look good and taking everything into consideration, one might be justified in believing it's going to perform, but without images to prove how well all the proportions work together, plus the overall cut precision, we have no way of knowing unfortunately. Ask B2C again if they would be able to get you an Idealscope image for this diamond, there might be some way it can be done, explain you are very concerned with the optical performance of this diamond and see what they can come up with.

I take it you want this diamond for an engagement ring? Also with the age of the report, in the overall scheme of things it isn't terribly old.

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the the feedback thus far. It seemed the vendor did not have the tools to provide an idealscope but I am awaiting another picture which I will post still whenever I get it. Sounds like I shouldn't be concerned about the VG polish and symmetry or the date of the GIA report. Fingers crossed for now that this diamond checks out. I have it on hold for now and yes, Lorelei this is for an engagement ring I'm having custom made with ERD.

I would imagine for some on this forum no idealscope may be a dealbreaker. But sounds like for others they would cross fingers and hope that with a solid HCA the diamond will perform to their liking. I'm tempted to move forward with this diamond as it seems to be a great value and then have it evaluated/appraised (by someone with an idealscope)and if I'm not impressed, I can always return it. Does that seem reasonable?

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
That plan sounds fine. Just bear in mind that appraisals cost money, as does a return if you have to do it.

With those proportions it's likely to be a very nice diamond. When you view it, look at it face on: are the arrows symmetrical and evenly spaced? Are the arrows a decent thickness/thinness? If the answer is yes, then in this case, it's unlikely to have problems.

Look at some James Allen "True Hearts" diamond rotating images to get a feel for what the diamond should look like in person. Have you viewed diamonds in person before? At the end of the day, your eyes will tell you if it looks nice, provided you've developed a sense of what to look for.

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Since I'm going to get it insured wouldn't I get it apprised anyhow? Good call to keep the extra costs in mind. I have seen diamonds in person with about 5-6 different jewelers. By no means do I think my eye is "trained" but I do have a good sense as to how/what to look for. Hoping we get a decent image back today. Will post once I receive. Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockAndRoll2006|1403790073|3701417 said:
Thank you for the the feedback thus far. It seemed the vendor did not have the tools to provide an idealscope but I am awaiting another picture which I will post still whenever I get it. Sounds like I shouldn't be concerned about the VG polish and symmetry or the date of the GIA report. Fingers crossed for now that this diamond checks out. I have it on hold for now and yes, Lorelei this is for an engagement ring I'm having custom made with ERD.

I would imagine for some on this forum no idealscope may be a dealbreaker. But sounds like for others they would cross fingers and hope that with a solid HCA the diamond will perform to their liking. I'm tempted to move forward with this diamond as it seems to be a great value and then have it evaluated/appraised (by someone with an idealscope)and if I'm not impressed, I can always return it. Does that seem reasonable?

Yes, that is reasonable. For me, I can pretty much tell a lot about a diamond just from a photo, I don't always need an ASET/ IS image, but to be fair, I have been doing this for years and have studied and scrutinized thousands of images of different diamonds but if I am helping someone else, I prefer to do so as responsibly as possible and not take chances, therefore images are important in such cases. Other people's mileage might vary however, it's just up to the comfort level of the buyer and their requirements. Also with a diamond such as the one you are considering, it is also reasonable to have some confidence that the diamond will perform well, but it's certainly not a guarantee. I have seen diamonds with excellent proportions that score well on HCA be surprisingly disappointing on image and in reality, not always the case of course, but it can happen. You are quite safe that you have a solid return policy and intend to get an appraisal which includes optical performance, so I think this stone is definitely worth shortlisting for purchase.

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Arg, well so the image isn't very good that they sent me. Thats irritating. Anything you can make out from these 2 pictures?

b2c3.jpg

b2c2.jpg

RockAndRoll2006

Rough_Rock
Welp, feedback from B2C was that their vendor's gemmologist informed them "that the diamond has a very good symmetry. The arrows are quite even and very symmetric. Overall, this diamond looks gorgeous."

With that feedback and all of yours, I pulled the trigger! I understand it was VG polish and VG symmetry...but 13-14% ($1500) back of rap seems like a quality price with a great stone. More later...especially when my CADs come in!

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Great! I think you made a smart decision with the information available. Let us know how it looks in person!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockAndRoll2006|1403810540|3701601 said:
Arg, well so the image isn't very good that they sent me. Thats irritating. Anything you can make out from these 2 pictures?

b2c3.jpg

b2c2.jpg

Unfortunately, I can't responsibly tell anything much about this diamond from the images but see what you think when you see it, if you aren't sure, find a Hearts on Fire dealer or a Tiffany so you can view some well cut stones in person, that should give you a better idea how your diamond compares.

Congratulations!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results