shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this 1.1 carat "champagne" diamond

cbird

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

My original post was in the "colored stones" section of the forum, but it was recommended I run this stone by the rockytalk section for opinions.

A little background: My gf and I wanted to do something a little different with our engagement ring and she was set on a round, 7mm "peach-champagne" sapphire. After an extensive search which yielded few results, I decided thanks to our friends in "colored stones" to look into champagne diamonds. My budget for the entire stone is between $3000 and $3500. I have an idea about the setting but I am not fixed. A lot of it depends on the stone I choose. So, I have negotiated a price of $2600 for this stone:

http://www.leibish.com/champagne-diamond/110ct-light-brown-round-vs1-95293-16531

There have been a few comments about the lack of quality cut of this particular stone. I do like the fact that based on the pictures, the inclusions don't seem to immediately visable. However, I don't want a brown looking stone, it is very important that it is a light champage color.

Any opinions and/or links to other options are greatly appreciated!

cbird

Rough_Rock
Thank you for posting that link! One thing that is also important to me is that the stone doesn't have any immediately noticeable inclusions. I'm under no illusions with my budget. I know I have a lot to learn but that is why I am here!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've said it before so I apologize but honestly I just really prefer the 1.25. Whats the reason you dont want to go with that? have you tried to discuss price on that?

cbird

Rough_Rock
Hey Niel,

I was going to post that one as well! They guys from Leibish are on holiday right now so I plan to speak with them ASAP. My apprehension is that from the video I can see the inclusions whereas with the 1.1 I can't. One comment my gf has made throughout the process is she prefers not to be able to see the inclusions from the top angle.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413242902|3766655 said:
Hey Niel,

I was going to post that one as well! They guys from Leibish are on holiday right now so I plan to speak with them ASAP. My apprehension is that from the video I can see the inclusions whereas with the 1.1 I can't. One comment my gf has made throughout the process is she prefers not to be able to see the inclusions from the top angle.

From looking at the pics and the GIA grade of VS2, I have a good feeling its eye lean. Keep in mind these are soooo zoomed in. That will bring out inclusions that wouldnt be visible to the eye. Of course, easiest thing to do is ask leibish when they are off holiday if its eye clean.

I would guess by looking its eye clean, I like the color, cut, and the size would be noticeably larger, for really not a lot of $$$

if you dont mind me asking, what is your setting idea??

cbird

Rough_Rock
Niel|1413243319|3766662 said:
cbird|1413242902|3766655 said:
Hey Niel,

From looking at the pics and the GIA grade of VS2, I have a good feeling its eye lean. Keep in mind these are soooo zoomed in. That will bring out inclusions that wouldnt be visible to the eye. Of course, easiest thing to do is ask leibish when they are off holiday if its eye clean.

I would guess by looking its eye clean, I like the color, cut, and the size would be noticeably larger, for really not a lot of $$$

if you dont mind me asking, what is your setting idea??

Of course not! I was thinking simple 6 prong solitaire. I'm a pretty simple type of guy and she is receptive to that. I would love some feedback though because I don't have a great imagination! It must be white gold though. She doesn't like gold or rose gold on her skin tone.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Also, what do you think a fair starting point to ask is on the 1.25?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413247621|3766695 said:
Also, what do you think a fair starting point to ask is on the 1.25?
What % off did they agree on with the 1.1?

Also, let me think about this setting.

Do you think your girlfriend would consider her style girly? Tomboy? Outdoorsy? Hippy?

cbird

Rough_Rock
She is definitely on the girly side. Very classic. She has some southern influence as her family has roots in Georgia. Her skin is very fair.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413300941|3766891 said:
She is definitely on the girly side. Very classic. She has some southern influence as her family has roots in Georgia. Her skin is very fair.
Would you be open to some white diamond accents? I feel like that would both flatter the diamond and the setting.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Yes that was the plan!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413309798|3766980 said:
Yes that was the plan!
Does anyone in your area sell Gabriel and co? I won't waste our time if there isn't one

cbird

Rough_Rock
I will have a look.

Looks like a jeweler I am very comfortable with is a certified dealer!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413310248|3766983 said:
I will have a look.
I think you can check on their website

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413310248|3766983 said:
I will have a look.

Looks like a jeweler I am very comfortable with is a certified dealer!

Awesome!

Let me ask, how does she feel about halos?

cbird

Rough_Rock
We have discussed it before but I think we came to the conclusion she prefers a non halo setting.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413310931|3766987 said:
We have discussed it before but I think we came to the conclusion she prefers a non halo setting.
OK. OK. I have a few ideas....

cbird

Rough_Rock
Great ideas Niel thank you for that.

One question about the 1.25 stone. If you watch the video, there is a pretty significant line across the top of the stone. Do you think this would be immediately noticeable in the setting?

Thanks for taking the time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413404517|3767542 said:
Great ideas Niel thank you for that.

One question about the 1.25 stone. If you watch the video, there is a pretty significant line across the top of the stone. Do you think this would be immediately noticeable in the setting?

Thanks for taking the time.

I think that video is very zoomed in and what's visable in that does not necessarily represent the eye cleanlyness of the stone. Consider that that stone is only slightly larger than a pencil eraser.

Best I say to wait to here what Leibish says

cbird

Rough_Rock
So waiting for Leibish to come back from holiday and I've been a bit restless. I ran the stone numbers through HCA adviser and come up with a 5.0(!). Is this a good indication that the stone won't sparkle? Does the tool work the same for colored stones?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coloured stones and diamonds are cut to retain the maximum amount of colour, not light return, so the HCA cannot be used.

cbird

Rough_Rock
Great thank you!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

cbird

Rough_Rock
I haven't, that is a beautiful stone and I love how light it looks. Is it possible for SI1 stones to be eye clean? That is one factor I have been considering.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cbird|1413559302|3768572 said:
I haven't, that is a beautiful stone and I love how light it looks. Is it possible for SI1 stones to be eye clean? That is one factor I have been considering.
It is absolutely possible to get an eye clean si1. Less probable but definitely not impossible.

That stone concerns me as it looks like its got a lot of obstruction in the middle of the stone under the table, so I'm not sure its a great option.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results