shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on F colored diamond with "very strong blue" florescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Hi folks,

I was wondering whether very strong blue florescence is always a bad idea in the colorless range. I saw a loose stone that seems to be signficantly discounted because of the florescence and was wondering whether it should be considered. The rest of the stats are as follows:

Carat: 1.02
Cut: Ideal 0 (AGSL Cert)
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Girdle: .9-1.5
cutlet: pointed
HCA score: .4 (ex,ex,ex,vg)

What do you think?

Later,
Eric

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it''s a personal decision. i like strong blue, even in colorless. you will notice the color, especially in bright sunlight, and the diamond will glow under blacklights
28.gif

there is the remote chance with strong fluor that the diamond will appear cloudy, so it''s always good to make sure this isn''t the case.

best of luck to you!!

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I have recently discovered that I really love fluorescence in diamonds-- esp. the colorless range! I looked at a D and F recently, both with "strong blue" and I thought they were stunning stones. My next diamond will have med-strong blue fluor!

I read a bit about fluorescence here by doing a search-- you''ll see quite a lot of posts relating to your question. And this article was very informative as well. http://www.gia.edu/pdfs/W97_fluoresce.pdf

I think Garry H (Cut Nut) recommends taking the diamond into the sunlight (best on a cloudy day) and louping the diamond at a 45 degree angle. If the fluorescent stone is one of the very rare fluorescent stones that exhibits the "oily or hazy" look, you should see it that way.

HTH!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be fun!

What are the other specs on the stone?

I ask because the HCA score is very low, aka .4, and there has been some discussion in the past that stones that score under .6 or so may not show enough contrast and scintillation for the eye...it''s not proven but may just be a preference.

If you have seen the stone and love it, then nevermind, but for a virtual sight-unseen purchase, I personally would look for something closer to 1 IMO. Even Brian from WF said that his sweet spot on the HCA is a score of around 1.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
Mara,

The other specs:

Measurements: 6.54 x 6.58 x 3.98 mm
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 55%
crown angle: 34.4 degrees
pavailion angle: 40.5
price: $6,900

It is from an internet vender, so I wouldn''t be able to see it prior to purchase (as far a personally taking it out into the sunlight.

Thanks for the feedback.

Eric

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
You would have to view this stone to determine the effect the fluor has. Does it specifically say "VERY strong blue" or just "Strong Blue". It is my understanding that when you reach the "VERY strong blue" the stone could be more problematic.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If it is from a reputable Internet vendor, they should have a no questions asked return policy. I have a stong blue stone (of lower color tho), and I think it is beautiful. If it is a vendor you trust to be able to return the stone to and get your money back with no problems, it might be worth having it sent to you or to a local appraiser who can help you evaluate it.

esqknight

Rough_Rock
The AGSL Cert specifies very strong florescence which is what makes me nervous about it looking either cloudy or very blue in normal sunlight. How signficant a discount is the $6,900 from what this stone would be without the florescence?

Good night,

Eric

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
Eric,

The GIA article I cited states that the "over blue" diamond problems are extremely rare. Would you trust the vendor to tell you how it looks in the sunlight to know whether or not to commit to see it for yourself?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very strong flour. would make me a little nervous too, what is the vendor''s return policy?? Strong blue and medium blue I would be fine with, actually like it in many cases. But you haven''t had the opportunity to see this stone in person and I would make sure if you don''t care for it you can return it!!! I hope this helps, I know it''s hard, let us know how you make out.
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
These proportions fall in my ''sweet spot'' but if you examine the stone from 10 inches away your head will block some of its light.
e proportions are AGS 1 or 2 candidates.
Ask for an opinion on the the stones transperency and luster, and ist on an appraiiiirr decent return window.
Look at it in shaded daylight - not direct sunlight.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That fluorescence may show somehow or not at all. I do not know if the intensity of fluorescence is enough to get that "oily" look - which is not quite like "oil" anyway. Hard to describe...

If you do have an opportunity to see the stone before the sale becomes final (=return period) this one sounds well worth looking at.

Just my 0.2
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results