shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on diamond and price (from Australia)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AussieWombat

Rough_Rock
I just bought a diamond from Melbourne Diamond Exchange/Ice Store, and was wondering whether it was a reasonable buy. Would have done more research, but needed it in a hurry in order to propose
1.gif
. As some of you may know, the selection of diamonds down here in Oz is pretty small compared to the US, and prices are considerably inflated.

0.93 round brilliant
VVS2 / G
depth 62%
table 54.1%
crown angle 33.7
pav angle 40.9
culet 0.8%
medium girdle
no fluoro
polish VG
symmerty VG
A$5630 (~US$4350)

It is DCLA certified, and everything is VG, apparently it's highest ranking.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Could you check the figures you have entered - particularly pavilion angle, or if this is correct, depth %?

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
PS Congratulations on your engagement and welcome to Pricescope. I notice this is your first post.

AussieWombat

Rough_Rock
Thanks Angela.

You were right, I had the pavilion angle wrong, it has been corrected. I had the pavilion % there before (43.1%).

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
I was interested in your thread,  as I have just bought a diamond from MDX myself.

I am only a novice, so I hesitate to comment about cut quality at all. After a few months of research it has finally sunk in that the numbers and predictive tools are only a guide to how the stone actually looks. I must be a bit thick, as I kept reading this and glossing over it.

Having said this, if you plug the numbers into the HCA under "Tools", it comes up with the prediction of "excellent" for all 3 parameters of brilliance, fire and scintillation with a score of 1.1 where anything below 2 is considered excellent. An idealscope image would give a good idea of light return, but the ultimate test is actually seeing the diamond under all sorts of different lighting conditions.

Regarding the price, check for similar stones listed by Pricescope vendors (eg Whiteflash, etc). Remember to add 10% GST if taking delvery in Australia. Keep in mind too that it is probably worth a bit of a premium to you if you wanted it quickly. The price you paid is certainly FAR less than you would pay in jewellery stores here (I researched extensively) and it sounds like the appearance is going to be better than the vast majority of stones you would find over the counter.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
I was curious, so despite being almost asleep, I did a quick price check on G VVS2 0.9-0.95 ct round brilliant diamonds from Whiteflash.

Results:
Ideal cut (average of 3), US$5614/ct therefore 0.93 ct = US$5221 plus tax
Very Good cut (average of 6), US$5470/ct therefore 0.93 ct = US$5087 plus tax

This is only one vendor, but it seems you got a great price!
1.gif

Any comments from the experts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results