shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on a Michael Beaudry ring price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
I am pretty much in love with an oval engagement ring done by Michael Beaudry. It is an engagement ring for my girlfriend. The amount of detail is amazing. My only is the problem is I feel I am paying too much for the diamond. The setting was listed at 8gs. Which I am fine with. And for the entire ring they wanted 20,500 and said that was as low as they would go. It is 1.5 ct Oval Brilliant. It is G VS2. It is rated Good Polish and Symmetry. I would appreciate some of your opinions.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Here are some more details on the diamond.

Oval Brilliant
Measurements: 8.78 * 6.39 * 3.90
Weight 1.5

Proportions
Depth 61%
Table 60%
Girdle Thin to very thick, faceted
cutlet none

Finish
Polish Good
Symmetry Good

Clarity Grade VS2
Color Grade G

Flourescence None

Thanks again.

This is driving me a little nuts because I am a perfectionist. LOL

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mike,
I don't have a lot of experience with ovals. I did a quick search on the home page with you specs and it looks like the average online price runs around 9-10k. The pricing on stones at a local store will probably be higher do to the overhead costs verses a virtual store. Anyway, I think Michael Beaudry creates some of the most beautiful peices I have ever seen and worth the extra $$ if you've got it for such a peice of art. I don't know where you're shopping but Bill Pearlman is a Pricescope vendor and carries beaudry. You might give him a call or send him an email on the pricing. He may or may not be able to do better but it never hurts to ask
31.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Beaudry pieces are verrrry nice and, yes, carry a premium.

Side stones? Diamonds on the shank?

Borsheim''s carries Beaudry also.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Mike,

As with all name brands, you have to expect to pay a premium for Beaudry. You have to decide whether it''s worth the extra enjoyment your girlfriend will get out of the ring. Do you know which collection this ring is from, Couture, Signature or Beautique? How long do you think your future wife will wear this ring before asking for an upgrade? Perhaps if you go for the Beaudry ring now, she will love it so much she will not ask for an upgrade for a long time. Is the price you are quoting the full retail asking price, or is it already discounted? Don''t expect too much of a discount.

Art Nouveau

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replys. There are no side stones but there are diamonds in the shank and pave or bezel diamonds around the center stone. The setting is beautiful and I am about 95% sure I want that. It was going for 7995 I believe. I was just trying to decide whether I should get the stone that is on there or go out and get one on my own.

I feel like if I bought one online I could possibly go up a notch in color and still save money. Maybe go from a G to and F. I thought it looked kind of yellow to me but that could have been the lighting.

I would love more input. Its driving me a little crazy. Haha

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Its the couture collection I just called. That price I posted is the discounted price. If I bought the whole thing now. I would still try and get a little more discount. But I dont know that I could get them down more.

Thanks again everyone

pspaniac

Rough_Rock
Having just been through the process of getting a custom Beaudry remount, I would strongly suggest you go with the one that is already set. I LOVE my setting, but it took 3 trips back to Beaudry and a whole lot of grief to get it right. When you get the one that is already set you know exactly what you are getting.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Mike,

If you just buy the mounting, the store is not going to sell you the Beaudry couture ring mounitng without the center stone. If you supply your own center stone, Beaudry will custom make a mounting for you. The difference is the mounting will not get the full "Beaudry" stamp, just a "B" and a fleur de lis. You will also not get the water color drawing of the ring signed by Michael Beaudry. If the savings is not that much, and you can afford it, I would go for the full package. The price you quoted sounds reasonable for a Beaudry Couture ring.

AN

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
That''s weird. She pretty much told me she would put another one of their stones into it if I wanted to and If i really wanted too but she advised against this, I could get my own stone and they would set it in there for me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't mess with a piece already made by trying to switch out the stone. to much of a chance that something will happen in my book. Art Nouveau has several Beaudry Pieces so i'm guessing she knows what she's talking about
2.gif
. If you can afford the piece already made I'd go for it or get you own stone and have them make it but I would try swapping.

ETA: oops, i meant to say wouldn't try swapping

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Anyone else have input on this? I am going to look at it again today and i appreciate all of your knowledge.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering the cost of the stone - the setting is 10k. It better be worth it.

I know Beaudry is a recognizable, trendy name... but if there is value with the name aside the craftsmanship and 'diamond content' of the pieces beyond the buyer's personal consideration, is less clear to me.

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
I agree with green eggs, buy the one you love, if your sold on Beaudry. A remake of one of their own designs will not come to you looking anything like the one you saw in the store.

I refused to buy a setting they remade on my behalf as it came completely contrary to what I ordered. The order was based on one of their settings, I wanted a duplicate, nothin doin. Anyway, I didn''t purchase the original because I felt the quality of the center stone was lacking and the premium was ridiculous.

If you want the Beaudry, buy the one you see, don''t order a new one.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
I have decided that I am not gonna spend more than 18gs. So either they sell me that ring for that price or I try and buy that setting. There is a price tag on the ring that says the setting is 7,995.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/23/2005 1:57:44 PM
Author: Mike Camp

There is a price tag on the ring that says the setting is 7,995.
Ouch! Which one is it? Some larger side stones would make sense.

An oval like that would be about 10k so... this is why I assumed the setting makes the balance to 20.

Whichever way they spread the cost (premium on stone, on setting or something else), that simple arithmetic still holds, IMO.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know how well cut/beautiful that oval is, but I have a minimally interesting Beaudry story. I was at a B&M store one time when the owner decided to pop a Beaudry stone into the Firescope out of curiosity. She took a peek and a look of horror appeared on her face when she saw how poorly it was cut in comparison to an EightStar. No, this is not an ad for EightStar, it was just that she was new to EightStar and super-ideal cutting. Needless to say, it was an eye-opening experience for her.

I know I''d have a hard time purchasing an already set diamond, especially if I''d only been able to view it in jewelry store lighting.

pspaniac

Rough_Rock
Something doesn''t make sense here. I have never heard of a Beaudry Couture piece being sold as just a setting. This sounds more like the Beautique line.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Thats what i dont understand. I called and asked the jewler and she told me it was a couture. Yet there was definitely a price tag for the setting on it.

mepearl53

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Mike ask the sales person what the stamp inside the ring says. This will tell you which collection the ring is from. If the jeweler chooses to switch the diamond with another they can do this although Beaudry probably would not like this. It would also not match Beaudry''s records if there was ever a dispute. Make sure you get everything in writing. Make your best deal and do it. You won''t be sorry.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Thanks Bill, I sent your company an email today.

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
Ok so I am thinking of walking into the jeweler and saying that I have decided that I wont be able to sleep at night if I spend more than 18gs on the ring. So I would offer to buy it for that price on the spot. If she turns me down I will tell her I want the setting and that I will find my own diamond. Because i cant honestly justify spending more than that at this time.

Do you guys think this sounds like good negotiating?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Mike,
I honestly don''t think vendors have that much room to negotiate on designer pieces. that''s why you find many of the same rings offered by different vendors for the same price. Many Designers set the prices that they will allow the vendor to sell it for. It''s always worth a try but 2K is a lot for them to lose and they surely can''t afford to take a loss. I guess it doesn''t hurt to ask. You might want to check and make sure the ring will retain it''s designer value if you swap stones, unless you don''t care about that part...

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
I like the setting because of how it looks mainly so I guess I wouldn''t care if it lost a little designer value. If I have to switch the diamond. I just dont really feel comfortable spending that much for the ring but I really want the setting. I really appreciate everyones input on this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge. Sorry if i ask too many questions.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2005 5:13:49 PM
Author: Mike Camp
Ok so I am thinking of walking into the jeweler and saying that I have decided that I wont be able to sleep at night if I spend more than 18gs on the ring. So I would offer to buy it for that price on the spot. If she turns me down I will tell her I want the setting and that I will find my own diamond. Because i cant honestly justify spending more than that at this time.

Do you guys think this sounds like good negotiating?
Yes.
You may be surprised pleasantly and they can do it. If not, oh well, nothing lost. 18G is a lot of $. They may be glad to get the cash up front. They may have bills coming due and would rather have $18G NOW than $24G (or whatever it was) on installments the next 36 months.
It sounds like you have found a setting you love and you know your price comfort level. I hope it all works out for you. I don''t blame you for not wanting to pay premium for a diamond that may or may not be worth the premium, when you don''t care as much for the designer pedigree as for the look of the setting. It makes total sense to me!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, just for fun can you send us a link to the setting you have chosen?

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
i dont have a link from the internet or any pictures. I wish I did.

I think I am gonna try that and i have decided that Im not gonna spend more than 18.

In case this doesnt work out. Does anyone else do work like Michael Beaudry that is a little more affordable?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey mike,
as I said before, I''m pretty sure Pearlman''s the only PS vendor who carries Michael Beaudry. You can also do a search on beaudry''s site for other local retailer but i''d imagine the pricing will be pretty much the same. Please let us know how it goes with your offer and come back with some pics if you get it
2.gif

Mike Camp

Rough_Rock
They came down to 19,500. She is gonna call Beaudry and see if they can get some a little smaller but maybe better color stones and similar rings. Thanks for everyones input

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Hi Mike,
I''m sort of confused... so she rejected your offer of $18, but she might be able to get you a similar sized ring at your price?
i hope it works out!
Gail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results