shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 1.89 Princess Cut Diamond

Donnie740

Rough_Rock
Hello,

As a first time diamond buyer, I would really appreciate some comments as to the quality and value of this stone:

1.89 carats
VG cut
VVS2 clarity
G colour
6.84x6.5x4.85

Price $14,000

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen it in person?

Donnie740

Rough_Rock
Going to see it Wednesday afternoon. Is there anything in person that I should be looking for specifically other than the sparkle?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Look at it in different lighting conditions, not just jewelry store lighting. Look at the facet pattern under a jeweler's microscope or at the very least a 10x loupe. Ask to see the lab report, and trust only GIA or AGS for color and clarity gradings. Decide if the off-square L:W ratio is OK. Decide if the constrast pattern in the stone is pleasing to you. Compare it to other princess cut stones to see if you prefer it.

Otherwise, we can't say anything about the cut of a princess and its potential for light return and sparkle. We would need ASET images for that purpose.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jstarfireb|1352155011|3299346 said:
Look at it in different lighting conditions, not just jewelry store lighting. Look at the facet pattern under a jeweler's microscope or at the very least a 10x loupe. Ask to see the lab report, and trust only GIA or AGS for color and clarity gradings. Decide if the off-square L:W ratio is OK. Decide if the constrast pattern in the stone is pleasing to you. Compare it to other princess cut stones to see if you prefer it.

Otherwise, we can't say anything about the cut of a princess and its potential for light return and sparkle. We would need ASET images for that purpose.
yep, if i were to buy a princess i do prefer a perfect square.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Is the diamond certed by GIA or AGS? Can you get the ASET image to judge the light leakage/return? You cant tell anything from the stats on a princess cut. I wouldn't worry about it not being perfectly square. Once it is set it will look pretty square. That seems like a pretty good price for that size color and clarity so i'm suspecting it is not certed or certed by EGL. Really need more information on the stone. Depth is 72.7% and ??? table %.

Here's one that is square with an ASET and Megascope

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/9420/

You might compare these on White Flash too....note the better cut princesses have the smaller tables:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=2774476,2835504,2650809

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results