shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion/help with gift for SO - aqua ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cian

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone! I have been visiting this forum to get ideas for a gift for my SO and was wondering if I could get your input since you all seem to be well-versed (and honest) about all things gemstone related.

We have been together quite some time but she always told me not to buy her jewelry since her family is really into it and she has a lot of very nice pieces, but I've finally decided to get her something anyway. I don't want to get her something generic so I'm trying my hand at putting together a unique ring based largely on what I've read about here. Also, I don't want her family (which is quite serious about jewelry) to think it's tacky/cheap/etc.

I am trying to put together an aquamarine ring. I know she prefers diamond halos and white gold over yellow.

Here is the aquamarine I purchased from customgemstones.com. I would really love to get some opinions on it before I go much further with this project.

aqua_72727.jpg

cian

Rough_Rock
Oh, and it is just over 7mm diameter and is 1.2 carats.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for settings??

Thanks!!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Well done Cian and welcome to Pricescope.

I think it''s a really pretty stone and it will make a gorgeous ring. Who are you going to work with to produce the ring?

cian

Rough_Rock
Well, I don''t really have anyone in mind. I was hoping to purchase a setting online and call up some local jewelers to see if they would set it. It seems like I could get a much bigger bang for my buck.

What do you think? Do jewelers not like setting a stone they didn''t sell in a setting they didn''t sell? Could I have them customize the ring with some outside engraving so they would be getting more work out of it?

kayla.tastikk

Shiny_Rock
I was interested in that stone before you bought it and had wanted to have it set by Julia Kay Taylor from etsy. She''s excellent to work with, and has a great reputation on here. Try venturing over to the Show Me the Bling section and looking at the thread devoted to her to see some examples of her work.

cian

Rough_Rock
Hmm..unfortunately her etsy page says she''s booked through at least the next month and I don''t think I''m that patient!
9.gif

Any other suggestions?

cian

Rough_Rock
What about this setting? Do you think the rounded-square halo will match well with the octagon shape of the stone?

ring847575.JPG

delayedreaction

Shiny_Rock
Julia is booked through April and not taking on further orders until she clears her current backlog.
39.gif

Maybe you could try some of the other favored Etsy artisans like Sally/heartofwater (there's More Fun Things on Etsy thread in the jewelry forum)? There's a number of simple and elegant solitaire style settings that might be a good starting point for this stone. (It's hard to object to a solitaire.)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Such complex outlines with many edges and sharp points are tricky (potentially) not just to set, but even more to wear. The more tips a shape has, the more risk there is of banging the stone onto something and chipping it. So I'd suggest that you think about one of those settings (can't find a decent pic for the life of it) where the stone and the prongs sit lower than the rest of the ring, sort of in a "valley" with steep walls around - God, this description...I know, hilarious. Hope you know what I mean. Sort of like if you'd take a signet ring, drill a hole in it, and placed a stone together with a prong setting in there, maybe a couple of milimeters lower than the surface of the original signet. I'll try to find some pics.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For this sort of shape, I think you should go custom, in order to get prongs and a design to protect those corners. There are several other great etsy sellers (Sally, Patrick, etc) that could do this project. I believe there is a thread on etsy sellers on the Jewelry sub forum. Let me search for it.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Great stone. I think it might be a bit difficult to set because of it''s shape. I agree that custom is the way to go. Etsy has many fine people to work with (I haven''t worked with any personally but I''ve seen their examples here on pricescope and they''re amazing).

DistinctionJewelry

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just bear in mind that having it custom set is going to take patience - even if you find someone who isn't booked up, the custom job is going to take a while.

The stone is awesome; the cutting is great and just as important, the color is fantastic for an aquamarine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is definitely cut into a unique shape but I’d be concerned about a standard 4 prong setting. I wonder if an 8 prong round setting will fit? There are some jewellers who don’t like to set a stone (and/or setting) that you didn’t buy from them and will charge you ridiculous prices or bad mouth your stone and setting. Be patient and keep looking for the right jeweller as a good one will only care about getting your business.

cian

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of your great input guys!

I''ve been looking into some of the custom designers you''ve pointed me to (and a couple others I found) but my impression is that it will cost more than I would like unless I have the ring done in silver. I have nothing against silver but my SO''s skin is very sensitive so I''d be a little bit worried. I have nothing against spending money on a quality piece but $800 for setting a $120 gemstone seems a little off to me. The 14kt WG setting with pave diamonds I posted earlier is only $200.

Yeah, I''m starting to become a little nervous about doing a 4 prong as well. 8 prongs seems a little much but I''m not against it...I''ll start looking around. Thinking about this though, because the diameter of the gemstone is shorter from side to side than from point to point, I wouldn''t expect much give when it is set with only 4 prongs. But obviously I''m no expert. Again, thank you for your continued help everyone.
1.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Palladium could be a good metal choice if allergies concern you, certainly less of a risk than either, silver or gold. In terms of price it shouldn''t be more than comparable 14k setting I think.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
How about Argentium sterling silver? It may be worth looking into whether it is less allergy causing than regular sterling - here is their site:
link

A number of etsy artists work in Arg.
Look in the "who's using it" section to find more jewellers..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results