shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion between 2 stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bjhcpa

Rough_Rock
Any opinion between these 2 would be greatly appreciated.

Online stone 1.64K (Price 10,500).
GIA Cert. (new cert. w/ measurements)

Color G
Clarity SI1
Cut Ideal (falls into AGS 000)
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Excellent
Fl - None
Cu - None

Only issue with this stone is the appraiser i brought it to felt was a weak SI1. Not based on the quantity of the inclusions but location. One is a feather that touches the girdle (said was bad, but still) and there is a crystal dead center of the table. (she said it is lined up with the culet perfectly so you dont see it from the top, although now i think i can see it after staring at it for 3 days). Crystal can be seen slightly with the naked eye from underneath and from the side if you really look for it.

Other than that she said is very strongly placed in all other categories.

Store Diamond 1.58K (was, 15k, then 13k, now they are at $9700.) will be the same price with sales tax.

EGL USA Cert.

Cut EGL Ideal Plus (also falls into an AGS 000)
Color Grade I
Clarity Grade VS1
FL - None
Polish - Excellent -
Symmetry - Very Good

I think on paper the online diamond is the clear winner. Next to one another they both look about the same. The 1.64 is a noticeably better color. At the same time the 1.58 i cant see any inclusions with the naked eye no matter how hard i try.

Being just looking casually at them they both look the same do i go with the better one on paper. Or do i let the fact that i think i can see the inclusion on the 1.64 make me go the other way.

(Or I always have the option of sending the online one back and finding a similarly priced one that maybe will be an SI1 eye clean). Of course nothing says another wont be the same once someone points out to me where the problems are.

bjhcpa

Rough_Rock
More Info:

1.64 (Online Diamond)

Table 57%
Crown Angle 35%
Crown height 15%
Girdle Med - Sthk
Pavilllion Angle 41%
Pavillion depth 43.5%
Total Depth 61.7%

1.58 (store Diamond)

Table 56%
Crown Angle 35%
Crown height 15.3%
Girdle .9 to 1.9
Pavilllion Angle 40.7%
Pavillion depth 42.7%
Total Depth 61.4%

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Both of these stones appear to have potential. I would be more comfortable with an AGS graded stone than I would one from EGL. You seem uncomfortable with the inclusions on the first one and with the color on the second so perhaps you should keep looking until you find something that better meets your criteria.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2006 6:30:11 PM
Author: Sundial
Both of these stones appear to have potential. I would be more comfortable with an AGS graded stone than I would one from EGL. You seem uncomfortable with the inclusions on the first one and with the color on the second so perhaps you should keep looking until you find something that better meets your criteria.
I agree with Sundial. You want to love the diamond you choose. If something bothers you at the outset, it will only get worse as time goes on. I would keep looking until you are comfortable with all four Cs.

shay

in-situ

Rough_Rock
I agree with Sundial and Shay, particularly with the fact that if something bothers you at the outset it will only get worse over time. With your budget and some patience and perseverance, I''m sure you will find a diamond that is everything you want it to be. Remember that the best thimgs come to those who wait - this certainly rings true with diamonds.

sollars9082

Rough_Rock
the prices seem a bit high on both to me.....am i crazy to think that???

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first diamond is a steep/deep with the crown and pavillion angles, scored a 2.4 on the cut advisor. The second whose numbers I prefer scored a 1.2 which is a nice score. The second diamond has good numbers but I haven't heard of EGL Ideal Plus before. I think if the inclusions bother you in the SI1 even if you have to strain to see them, maybe it isn't the right diamond, it is the " mind clean" phenomenon! Did the appraiser say it had any durability issues with the feather? They aren't always a problem even in that location. So that leaves us with the EGL diamond, EGL are said to appraise lower on colour and clarity in some cases, is it EGL USA? If you like this diamond get an independant appraisal to make sure it checks out, but this looks like a nice diamond .You have to decide if you want to keep on looking and get a GIA or AGS certed diamond which is right for you or to pull the trigger on either of these - my best advice - this is a MAJOR once in a lifetime purchase, take your time, there are plently of diamonds out there - don't settle until you are as happy as you can be that your money is well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results