shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal storage bags?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ack! Help!

Looking for some soft cotton jewelry bags to store some opals. My friend has some very expensive quality black opals, and she noticed a tiny crack in one. We have scoured the net for soft cotton bags for them, to no avail. Would hemp be too harsh? Anyone know?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, as a textile expert! I would say not to use hemp. That is a fiber that when, not treated, is pretty scratchy. I would definitely go with cotton that''s been treated, (combed) and washed many times so the outlying fibers are not a danger to a soft stone such as opal. HTH!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Monarch 64, how about burlap bags for opals? We found some natural burlap jewelry bags, would that be better and softer than hemp?

CaityJ

Rough_Rock
Burlap is pretty rough. Cotton flannel is natural and very soft. I am not sure that it can be purchased in bag form, but you could make bags or have bags made.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! i agree burlap is rough. is there a reason you can not purchase some velvet bags like i frequently get when purchasing things? i will see what i can find.

eta: a google search for velvet bags for jewels or velvet pouches for jewels gives good results. hth.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help! We tried velvet bags, except I want breathability and the velvet usually are not. Also the quality of velvet bags I find are generally only velvet on the outside.

I like the flannel idea, only issue is that if this works, I will need to use more of these bags for further inventory purchases, so making each bag is not such a fun project, when I can just order them in bulk, and use them. I am not so crafty, and even if I was, it''s a great big pain to do this serveral times, versus finding a source to reorder from...

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!!!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i find it hard to believe that flannel breathes much since it is used for warmth. maybe just the fact that it is cotton? some of the bags i found were advertised as being soft inside. maybe i'll just take another look.

to be perfectly honest with you, i purchased about 12 velvet bags with candy in them. it was a christmas promotion and the chocolates were in 5x4 inch red velvet bags with gold cord drawstrings. i got them very reasonably as they were reduced after the holiday. i am using them for pocketwatch storage. i think there are some bags out there that will meet your needs.

eta: thehungersite.com offers ten cotton drawstring bags, made from scraps from larger sewing projects, for about ten bucks. these are supposedly sewn by napalese women. can't vouch for the site or the project i just found it on the net. can't hurt to check the site, if it is what you want and a sincere good works project it could be a winner?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
there also is a place in ca, western textile , that does cotton drawstring bags. they also customize with logos.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results