shape
carat
color
clarity

Opal as main stone for an engagement ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

opalfan

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have been dating for three years, and we''ve started thinking about getting engaged. Naturally, I want a pretty ring :) But we can''t afford to get a diamond one, not unless we want to get way into debt before we even get married (we are students, so our budget is tiny). Yesterday I found a very pretty opal ring online, and I just love it. I''m just wondering what everyone thinks about opal as the main stone for an engagement ring. Will people think it is tacky because it''s not a diamond? Is opal durable enough to have as an engagement ring? If opal is ok for an engagement ring, do you think this one looks good, or should we keep looking? Thank you.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=30679987&ref=sr_list_9&&ga_search_query=garnet+engagement+ring&ga_search_type=&ga_page=2&order=price_asc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Opals are very soft and not duarable enough to wear as an ering, IMHO. I just adore opals, so would say have one as a rhr down the line...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I see nothing tacky at all. But I don''t recommend it, though. Opal is not the toughest stone out there.

I would recommend that you look for an inexpensive spinel or sapphire and ask one of the etsy people to set it for you. Let me poke around and see what I can find.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yup, opal is not a good option because of how soft it is. What is your budget and what ring style do you like- I'm sure we can find you some wonderful options!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Ok i''m bored at work....i have no idea if these will work for you but I thought you might be interested. When I was a broke college student i thought anything over $500 was a lot so I sort of stuck around that figure.

Option 1: halo aqua for $259 or BO from LOGR

01haloaquaS.jpg

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t suggest opal as an everyday wear sort of ring. I don''t think anyone over here in colored stones will think a ''non-diamond'' engagement ring is tacky, as several of us have chosen a colored stone over a diamond. To some people (myself being one of them) diamonds just do not have the same appeal as a colored stone. I would echo that sapphire and spinel are good choices because they can stand up to daily wear.

If you could tell us the mm size you are interested in, shape, color, setting preference, and perhaps a rough price range, perhaps people will chime in with their ideas and suggestions.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
ditto to what the others have said. opal chips/breaks so easily. i have an october birthday so opal is my birthstone and i have quite a few chipped opal rings
39.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Option 2 from ID Jewelry
Diamond Information:
Item Number: D3869
Shape: Round
Carat: 0.45
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Regular Price: $441
Wire Transfer Price: $432
Preset in 14k WG

01aaDiamondS.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
if you like the opal, I might go for something that has a similar ethereal quality to it such as a star sapphire

Sally from Heart of Water has a beauty up on her site (although, I''m biased because I got a ring very similar to this over the summer
31.gif
)

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=31237862

I also love this setting, which is slightly different

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28788580

good luck in your search!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No it wouldn''t be tacky at all. But it won''t be a hard enough stone. Stick with Diamonds, Sapphires and Spinels or maybe Chrysoberyl. Chrysoberyl is hard and durable and a yellow green color.

IF you get a gemstone ering and want folks to know that it''s an ering just make sure your setting looks very ering like. And if you don''t care about that then the setting options are many!

Good Luck!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a star sapphire or ruby (nice one, kas!). It definitely maintains the ethereal quality of the opal but would be a lot more durable.

ETA: Or a cat's eye chrysoberyl/alexandrite!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how much (how often) would you like to wear your e-ring; if the answer is "every day", then I''d think about other stones, but if it''s just for dressing up sometimes, then even opal would be OK.

If you''d like to keep it white and domed while going the more durable route, I''d suggest white star sapphire, like some of THESE, or if you''d like to still have some play of color eventhough it won''t be from an opal, you might consider rainbow moonstone, like THIS - you obviously don''t have to get a carved one... They''re both more durable than opals (sapphires much more so, moonstones not so much, but still) and neither of them is too pricey.

P. S. Nothing tacky about gemstone e-rings, you shouldn''t care much about what others will think about it, cause "others" won''t have to wear it.

P. P. S. Opal from your link isn''t a particularly good one and such stones are not hard to come by. It''s play of color doesen''t seem strong and it also falls into the most common category of solid opals, often called white or "milk" opals.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I highly discourage an opal as an e-ring due to its softness. It cannot handle the rigours of everyday life. Even a moonstone will be a better choice (think Sally’s lotus moonstone which is very inexpensive yet dreamy) although I would think some other cabochon will hold up better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results