shape
carat
color
clarity

Online Diamond Shopping: Pros and Cons??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Im sure this topic has been beaten dead somewhere... somewhere I cant find.

I have searched and just want my questions clearly answered.

I have spent hours and hours (and hours) looking at diamonds online. I have made several trips to different stores locally, but my time is limited and all of this has to be done without my girlfriend knowing. I have found dozens of diamonds in my price range with the specs that I have been told to look for.

I have been to Jared''s and they want 700 more for the same diamond I can find on bluenile.com, shenoadiamonds.com, diamondsafe.com, and gemnation.com.

I see a lot of people on here that have bought online... Compared to a physical in-town store, do any online stores offer lifetime guarantees, 0% financing, free cleanings/re-rhodium plating/inspections, etc?

I have heard horror stories about bluenile.com diamonds having mismatched certificates and not allowing returns when they say they do, but Ive heard people talk about them like they are one of the top online go-tos.

This is my huge dilema... Do I buy locally and pay more for a diamond/setting and get the features above, or is there somewhere online that offers all of this?

Please enlighten me.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't personally buy from any of the vendors you noted above as my first choices. My first choices would be Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Engagement Rings Direct, and James Allen. If you want comparisons of these places with Bluenile, just run a search in the box. They provide a lot more service than BN is the short answer for buying with them. But a search will yield much more than I can type.

All the vendors I listed above (I think...) have lifetime tradeup policies, meaning that they will allow you to trade in your current diamond for something different/bigger in the future. None will offer lifetime "guarantees" but what the heck do you really need that for? I WILL say that they have fantastic customer service and would do anything possible to make you happy should something happen to a prong, melee stone, etc. But the lifetime warranties from most B&M jewelry stores are just BS. You usually pay a lot for it and never end up using it. Ever.

As for the plating, most people don't need to get it plated too often and many places do it very reasonably priced, so again, IMO, it's not worth it to pay the B&M markup for just that "free" thing. Which isn't really free...

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think any of these online vendors offer "free" financing, possibly with the exception of Bluenile. But you could do the same thing by getting a credit card with 0% interest for a year or two. But I wouldn't recommend extending yourself for something material...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
there is a reason that you pay more for diamonds locally. ''free'' guarantees (read the fine print! if you don''t adhere to the strict guidelines, the guarantees are voided) 0% (again read fine print!) and other ''perks'' are built into the price. you are paying for those services whether you use them or not. most all jewelry stores will clean and inspect your ring for free. you just have to decide if all of that is worth it for YOU. bluenile isn''t the only online vendor, they are the largest but not necessarily the best.

phiberoptik

Rough_Rock
Thank you for some quick replies.

I only used bluenile.com as an example because I had read horror stories about people getting diamonds that were less quality than the certificate accompanying them said.

Ive looked at whiteflash and am not finding the low prices I have found on most other sites. I will look through some of the aformentioned sites as well.

What are peoples opinions on Scheinerdiamonds.com? I found awesome pricing there.

Gemnation.com??

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
post a thread in Rocky Talk
about what you are looking for price(your budget), color and clarity and we will be happy to help you.
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you get what you pay for. what is your ''perfect'' diamond that you are searching for? do you want the best diamond at the lowest price or the lowest priced diamond?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the "you get what you pay for". Those places are cheaper because their SI graded stones are not eye clean and the colour grading is not accurate. The cut is also not good and cut is what makes the diamond sparkle. Personally, I''d prefer a smaller diamond that sparkles like crazy than a large dead stone AKA frozen spit.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/17/2007 2:04:08 PM
Author: Chrono
I agree with the ''you get what you pay for''. Those places are cheaper because their SI graded stones are not eye clean and the colour grading is not accurate. The cut is also not good and cut is what makes the diamond sparkle. Personally, I''d prefer a smaller diamond that sparkles like crazy than a large dead stone AKA frozen spit.

Totally agreed. WF generally carries just great stock. So most diamonds you find on their website are 1,000 times better than what you are finding on the other sites.

They are cheaper for a reason and it''s not a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results