shape
carat
color
clarity

one signature cut vs. another signature cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
First of all, I want to continue to show my appreciation for the wisdom and education found in this forum. I''ve learned a ton of stuff over the past month or so, and have DRAMATICALLY changed my buying plans as a result. After reading hundreds of posts
34.gif
and looking at literally hundreds of stones, I am now ready to buy except for one last decision that I don''t feel qualified to make.

I''ve decided on a round diamond in the 1.64 - 1.71 range, G in color, and Si in clarity. It will be set in a platinum setting with two tiny side diamonds. I''ve decided that I want to get an extremely good cut, and have narrowed the search to two diamonds.

The first diamond is from dirt cheap diamonds and is listed as their "signature series ideal" cut with the following specs:

Measurements: 7.62x7.67x4.69
Depth: 61.4%
Table: 55%
Polish: Ideal (AGS)
Symmetry: Ideal (AGS)
Culet: Pointed
Girdle: 0.6-0.9
Fluorescence: None
Culet: Pointed

The second diamond is from Diamond on the Web and is listed as their "signature ideal" cut with the following specs:

Measurement: 7.84 - 7.77 x 4.70
Depth%: 60.2%
Table%: 56%
Symmetry: Very Good (GIA)
Polish: Very Good (GIA)
Girdle: Thin to Thin, Faceted
Culet: Small
Fluorescence: None

The two diamonds are close in price and size. They both are part of the "signature ideal" cut range. Is there any way for me to determine which "signature" cut is better, or in the end, are they so close that it really doesn''t matter? Will both exhibit the hearts and arrows pattern? The dirt cheap diamond mentions H&A but the Diamond on the web stone doesn''t.

I really think this is my final decision and would appreciate any thoughts from anyone at all. Thank you.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Just a couple of comments...

I''ve called DOW before, and understand both that some of even their signature series are not in house, and also, that they are satisfied to put diamonds in their signature series based on knowledge of table & depth data alone, which we understand from the tutorial here that that can be problematic.

This is not true of DCD''s signature series. All of those are in house, and although you report table & depth info, more is on his site, and it looks quite promising. Get Jim''s opinion on that one, vs his other almost identical one, which is just slightly smaller, but where the girdle is also slightly thicker; both are probably good choices. Of course, the DOW one could be a good choice, too; the only point I''m making here is that you don''t'' have enough info, I don''t think, about that one to compare them, really.

Best,

CountryBoy

Rough_Rock
Ira,

Thanks for your help. The DOW site says the stone is "on hand and ready to ship" but I understand your point. I will contact both vendors and see what I can find out. Thanks again.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
It might help people to check out the links themselves:

DCD stone

DOW stone

Well, the DOW stone is bigger but has no crown or pavilion angles to verify that it''s an ideal cut. It also has very good polish and symmetry and a small culet. The DCD stone has more of the markings of a truly ideal stone which probably explains why it costs more.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
I took a look at the two links.

I could only see the grading report on DCD''s stone.

The plot show 4 feathers, near the girdle. Those need further scrutiny.

I couldn''t see the plot on the GIA graded diamond.

Just cursory comments.

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results