shape
carat
color
clarity

One Down, Two to Go!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The guest bathroom is painted!! YAY. I am soo excited I figured I'd share some pictures with you guys...

I decided to go with BM 1516 which is basically the light sagey Sycamore Green from Restoration Hardware. It was a toss up between 1516 and 1517 which was a shade or two darker but the guy at BM thought it would be too dark for an inside no-natural light bathroom. I'm glad I went with that because I think the 1517 would have been too dark, this is just perfect with 2 coats.

So, I thought well since I am going to paint the guest bedroom this weekend (Chestertown Buff!), the bathroom is small so I'll just do it too! I decided to do the bathroom first, then while that was drying first coat, do the guest bedroom then the 2nd coat of bathroom then 2nd coat of bedroom. Ambitious huh?
20.gif
Greg just laughed. Well this morning after getting up late and lazing around, I realized okay I will just do the bathroom both coats and be done with it, and then do the bedroom on Sunday. It was supposed to rain all weekend anyway (but of course today was sunny).

The bathroom came out GREAT!!! It's a gorgeous color and it looks fabulous. I am not the world's best painter by any means but it came out very nice. I was so happy. I just need to do a few touchups here and there and maybe try to get a little closer to the ceiling in a few spots...I used one of those roller wheel brush things for the edging (and taped too) and it came out very nicely but in the wall to ceiling transition, the paint could be a little closer in a few areas. No mishaps, knock on wood that tomorrow is smooth sailing as well. The bathroom had tons of small nooks and crannies and the guest bedroom is just a square with a window and a door and a closet so hopefully it will go well.

So here are some pictures so far...Greg still has to put back on the light covers, fixtures, pictures/wall items and shower curtain and stuff, but these images show the color well because there's no real accents going on. Tomorrow it's onto the guest bedroom!! The paint is waiting for me! I have taped part of the room so far, I want to finish taping today so that tomorrow AM I can just start painting.

Then last but not least, next weekend I plan to do the office if I can narrow down the color...I'll update the other painting thread with information on that!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Overall view. Oh and if anyone wondered, the wall color in the room before was just basic new-house eggshell color...just a basic off-white. So boring!

bathroom c.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is an image with the floor tile and baseboards to get an idea of the nice contrast in the room...it looks sooo good.

bathroom d.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and this one shows the great color probably the most accurately of the pictures....the funny thing is that there are two lighting options in the bathroom, the overhead bulb lights over the sink OR you can put on the over the toilet recessed light. if you have one light on vs the other the room color looks totally different. the over the toilet light makes the paint and room look a little more dark grayish green which i love as well. it''s like it has different personalities.

i''m so bummed this isn''t my bathroom because i just LOVE IT now.

bathroom a.jpg

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Impressive you did a great job. The color is great not too dark & not too light. I have to say that painting is my least favorite activity besides cooking (lol). It looks very nice.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lookin good!!!! No small amount of work....... P.S. Love the sponge duckie.......
emthup.gif

cheers--Sharon

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh and here is one i took yesterday, though it dried a little darker (and this is just one quick sample coat), and you can see the shower curtain, which is also from Restoration Hardware (bought 2 years ago and love the colors in it!!)....I am most likely going to get the silver sage towels and rug which is a complimentary color to the green and is the 'blue gray' in the shower curtain, to complete it!!
5.gif

bathroom e.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks guys!! i swear the sense of accomplishment i feel is sooo funny! you'd think i never painted a room before. part of it is that i just have been consumed with figuring out colors for these rooms and i am so happy to finally be DOING something as opposed to just thinking about it!

we moved in jan of 2004 and i have wanted to paint these 3 rooms since then....why does it take so long to get stuff done?! i am still slowly furnishing and buying wall art for the house too. where does the time go?!

lol sharon the sponge duckie is greg's, he has had it for years--since before me so i figured it would look cute in the bathroom, oh and then someone gave us a small duckie soap too...hehee.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ok I''m really, really liking that Shower Curtain. I''m a big fan of Geometric patterns and that curtain looks fave!

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
The bathroom looks great Mara - the color is so perfect with your tile & the shower curtain (one of my faves from RH). I tend to think that bathrooms can be one of the hardest rooms to paint because of the size and lack of room for maneuvering ladders, etc. Well done!!

The last bathroom that I painted in my old house was sooooo small - I had to go buy a new ladder that would fit inside my bathtub just to paint the walls above the shower tile...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehee teebee greg has a little stepladder that i used for the bathroom which was perfect....it took me 2 hours to do the first coat and 1.5 for the second, so not so bad!!

diam100 the shower curtain is still avail from restoration hardware!! i'm not a huge geometric person really, but i thought this look is great for a bathroom, it's just enough color but in a fun way. i loved it, i saw it in the catalog months before we moved in and knew that was coming home with me!...the funny thing was that they just had the shower curtain when i bought it and i thought man i wish they had coordinated bedding because i would so get it and have the guest room match the bathroom etc...well they came out with the matching bedding last fall and by then i was like...oh im not interested in it anymore!! i didn't want the rooms to be too matchy. funny how things change.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done Mara it looks great!
36.gif
I love those his n'' hers sinks in the States, you hardly ever see them here. When Hubby comes back we have a ton of painting to do, all the inside and outside the house, plus a revamp of our bedroom and knocking out an old fireplace. Your bathroom looks really restful and luxurious!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh, it looks really pretty! That shower curtain is fab!

I must say - I am extremely jealous of your "new house" doors, hinges & tiles. Our town house is about 20 years old now & before we moved in they painted all the doors white & painted over the hinges (ick!).

Your paint job look great in the pictures! I can see slightly (if I stare for a minute or two!) where the edging is not perfectly aligned with the ceiling, but I personally prefer that to little oopsies on to the ceilings.

Can''t wait to see the guest room! I was in a jewelry store yesterday & I said, "this color is so pretty on the walls - do you know what it is?" And the guy says, "oh no, I don''t, but it''s Benjamin Moore" I said, "Is it Chestertown Buff?" And he''s like, "hmmmm, it might be!" hahah, too much time thinking about paint!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it came out fabulous! I really like how the paint picks up coordinating tones from the shower curtain and the floor tiles. It looks really nice, and a great, not boring color!! Very serene.
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe danielle, part of what attracts Greg and I to new places is the cleanliness of it all and the fact that everything is NEW and no one has messed around with it. i really love the architecture in old places but i would not want to be boiling door joints to get paint off and the like. it takes long enough to get the basics like wall paint and art done for me!! i would take FOREVER with anything else. also having lived in old places before, you always are stuck with 10 coats of old paint on the wall or someone's idea of a cool wallpaper in a small bathroom or similar. just don't have the patience!

LOL re: the CB .... i know everytime i see a color like that i wonder if its the same one. apparently its a popular BM color!

lorelei, yeah a perk of this place when we were looking was that it had dual sinks in the guest bathroom (and in our master), it was just kind of a nice, fun touch to have for the guest bathroom...and works out great for when greg's family visits so that his stepmom and dad can be in the bathroom at the same time etc. one of the houses we were looking at was the same cost as this one and the MASTER bath only had ONE sink. i was like gosh how much more is it to put two?? for what you are paying! ridiculous.

FG...it looks great, im still so happy with it. hopefully the guest room comes out just as lovely!!

oh and for the ceiling to wall transition, i am going to get a tiny artist brush and do a touch up this week to get it closer to perfect, and when i do the guest room today i will press a little closer with the edging wheel thing to see if i can get the transition to be more accurate.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks great Mara. I am super impressed. Also love that shower curtain too!!! I don''t think you ever do anything badly??? I bet Greg was impressed too!!!
9.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Great job Mara and I love the color you chose! It goes perfectly with the shower curtain and the silver sage will set it off.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I LOVE the color! Good job on your progress!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the color. It really makes such a huge difference. Mara, you seriously did a great job painting. Every once in a while I decide I want to change the color or paint something that''s still neutral in our house. I''ll mention it to hubby, buy the paint, everything, and he''s always so busy he never gets around to it. So, I''ll just open the can one day and paint away. he''ll come home from work with a whole new color on the walls
9.gif
. The problem..I suck..I am fine with a roller but doing anything close to the trim/molding or ceiling and I''m a wavy mess
14.gif
. Hubby then has to go back over and fix everything so I basically double the amount of work he has to do
40.gif
. The good news for me is I never have to paint anything again
3.gif
. We actually just painted a really outdated but amazing solid wood oak table. It has 4 slats and can seat 12-14 when fully open. We were going to put it in a garage sale but decided to see what would happen if we painted it black. Well it turned out amazing and for about $75 it looks like we bought a whole new set from Pottery Barn. Sorry to hijack
37.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
heeh thanks guys...i still love the color and it looks even better with everything back in the room!

mrs salvo i typically am not a good painter at all!! but the bathroom came out great and i did the guest room today too and it so far looks good, i still have to peel the tape off. but i was more careful and methodical this time with painting than i typically have been in the past, moving more slowly and not rushing with things, since that is when accidents can happen.

i am horrible at trim too, but what i did this time was just tape REALLY WELL and then run over it again with my thumb nail before i painted that area because sometimes the tape pops up a bit...for the ceilings i used this edge trimmer brush with wheels and it was TONS better than taping the ceiling has been in the past for me....i still had some small boo boos but nothing huge.

i do still want to go touch up the ceiling/wall with a small art brush, maybe this week.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/9/2006 2:24:03 AM
Author: Mara
hehee teebee greg has a little stepladder that i used for the bathroom which was perfect....it took me 2 hours to do the first coat and 1.5 for the second, so not so bad!!

Ah, so this is where being over 5 feet tall really comes in handy!!! I tried the step stool thing but still couldn''t reach or see well enough... haha, that is funny to me though

ivanadiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Love the color~ You did a really great job! it looks fabulous!

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been waiting patiently - but now I must ask! Any before/after shots of the guest room yet?!
9.gif
11.gif
12.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha danielle, not yet because right now the bed is a big hideous BUMP in the middle of the room with all this stuff piled on it!!! i want to get it all kind of setup with the stuff on the walls, and then post a picture...but the color looks awesome! again i have to do some ceiling touchup but i LOVE the color. it is best described as a warm golden deep mustard.

interestingly enough in this room it looks darker than it does in some of the other images we have seen, maybe because the room is smaller? but it is very warm.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and here is an update on the bathroom, a picture with all the stuff back on the walls, shower curtain up etc.. the color is perfect, it's very subtle so you have to look twice to know it's a real color but it works great with the items in the bathroom!!! i love it. very calming. OH and my wash sign is not crooked, the camera just made it look that way. where's my darn canon!?!?

finished bathroom a.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
and one more, a little broader shot...it''s so hard to take pictures of a small bath like this, you can''t get the whole thing in just one frame!!

finished bathroom b.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
It looks just fantastic, Mara!!! Great job!!!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results