shape
carat
color
clarity

on any given day...do you carry $100 in cash?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
Nope.

The other day one of my colleagues had to rush to a meeting and forgot to get cash out for cab fare. We had trouble scraping together enough cash for the roundtrip fair between 3 of us!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2009 3:51:10 AM
Author: Phoenix
I usually carry at least the equivalent of USD200 in cash. I have a slight fear of CC''s (or rather the fear of using CC''s and overspending!
2.gif
1.gif
). Now that I live in Shanghai where most transactions are in cash, this emphasizes the need to have cash on you at all times.

One of my ex-bosses in HK used to carry at least HK10,000 in his wallet!
6.gif
The first time I saw him taking money out of his wallet, my eyes just bulged (though obviously I tried not to look!
3.gif
), and this was some 15 years ago!

What about you, DF? How much do you normally carry?
i carry a few hundred dollars. i have this friend whom i eat lunch with carries anywhere from $5k-$15k in cash,but he''s a cheap sucker,he hardly ever picks up the lunch tab.
20.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Never. I don''t carry cash at all.

Lynnie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 4:04:46 PM
Author: Elmorton
Never. I don''t carry cash at all.
Me neither. I use debit for just about everything. Even $1.49 coffee. My bank statements are ridiculously long though, because of this.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Always. In fact today in the pet store, I handed the gal a $100 and she asked if I could pay with another increment, which happens to me a lot if I''m running errands in the early morning (clerks don''t have enough change - irritating). I usually carry around $120.

When I go shopping for clothes, etc., I take $ out of the bank (of course more than $100!) and pay all cash for everything. When I''ve spent that amount, I know it''s time to go home
2.gif
Sometimes, though I used my Nordstrom card so I get reward points. . .then I pay that off at the end of the month.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 4:27:28 AM
Author: Burberrygirl
Yes, I always have at least $100 stashed in part of my wallet just in case. It''s more hidden and seperate from the money I use for everyday expenses. My parents told me to do that when I started driving just in case something happened. It''s something my dad has always done too. I don''t carry a credit card, just a debit card. I''ve always been a cash person. If I carried a cc with me I''d be tempted to buy more.
Yeah, I have a "stash spot" in my wallet too. Usually it''s $40-50 (in addition to my amount) and I just keep it there. It''s suppose to be a secret, but once when DH needed some cash (we were out and about), he asked if I had any hidden in that spot.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. Usually not more than $40. I do have the need for cash on a near-daily basis, but I don't need more than that.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yep, at least $100 in the secret purse pocket. But I never want to spend it. We run everything through the credit card for the frequent fliers.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
I guess I''m in the minority, but yes.
40.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I always have $20 on me in case of emergency,but never $100 these days...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2009 8:03:03 PM
Author: tigian
40.gif
you must be Asian
9.gif
i don''t feel comfortable w/o some cash in my pocket. i don''t have a debit card,don''t wanna learn how to use one. i''m just one of those people whom are not into high tech banking.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 8:26:31 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
Date: 9/16/2009 8:03:03 PM

Author: tigian

40.gif
you must be Asian
9.gif
i don''t feel comfortable w/o some cash in my pocket. i don''t have a debit card,don''t wanna learn how to use one. i''m just one of those people whom are not into high tech banking.
9.gif
Maybe.
I have a debit card but I don''t like balancing a checkbook with small transactions. My DH on the other hand never carries cash. Guess what he is!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
As a SAHM, most days I don''t even have $100 to my name, let alone to carry around.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually keep about $20 cash in my wallet and another $10 hidden. We put everything on a CC that gives points and we pay it off at the end of the month. That way, we make the interest off our money until the bill is due as opposed to debit cards which take the money out of the account immediately.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always found it ''comforting'' to have some cash in my wallet. How much? Depends on what I''m buying - retail purchase of $50. or more. I''d use a credit card in case the item had to be returned. Groceries - cash or debit. Meals out - cash, or if treating others, a credit or debit card.

Side note: When I was a teenager, my mom advised that I always carry taxi fare when on a date. To this day, I carry both taxi fare or the keys to our car or both, even though we''ve been married 46 years.
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m weird with money - at the store I always take some out then in a hurry shove it in my purse and forget about it... get another 20 or 40 out and repeat. I think I have 5 bucks so when i get starbucks or something I use my credit card... eventually my purse is so full of receipts I have to clean it out and then I find about 100 bucks... and I don''t have to use my credit card for a while lol I musta been a hamster in a past life or something lol

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Usually I do. Well, not $, but their equivalent in Bulgarian lev.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 11:27:31 AM
Author: Haven
I rarely carry cash. I spend cash much faster than I debit things, so I don''t like to have it. I know when I''m debiting something there will be a record of it, and I''ll have to look at that purchase on our bank statement, and if it''s a frivolous purchase it will just drive me crazy.

Ditto. We track everything we purchase in an account to see where our money is being spent and I hate seeing stupid purchases like fast food on there. I am much more likely to not spend it if I have to see the record of it later.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
With two teenagers in the house, I''d go broke trying to keep $100 in my purse! They always seem to ask for $5 or $10-$20 here and there once their allowance is gone... (to go to the movies, etc.)...my usual excuse is, ''nope, don''t have any cash on me!'' works pretty well...I do have around $10 in change and ones in my car (hidden) just in case I''m out and need something small, but the kids don''t know about that! DH and I use the CC with the reward points too, but don''t carry a balance.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 10:14:02 AM
Author: ladypirate
No, we have a ''put stuff on the credit card for the miles and pay it off at the end of the month'' policy. I occasionally use cash, but usually only when going out to eat with friends & splitting the bill.
Us too. I think I have $3 cash right now, LOL.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2009 12:59:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I''m weird with money - at the store I always take some out then in a hurry shove it in my purse and forget about it... get another 20 or 40 out and repeat. I think I have 5 bucks so when i get starbucks or something I use my credit card... eventually my purse is so full of receipts I have to clean it out and then I find about 100 bucks... and I don''t have to use my credit card for a while lol I musta been a hamster in a past life or something lol
My purse is always stuffed full of receipts too. Seems like every time I do a cleaning and toss most of them, I find something I want to return and am stuck getting an in-store credit!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Nope, very rarely. I prefer credit for everything. I pay my bill in full each month and track my spending carefully and it keeps it all in once place so I can see where my money goes. Plus I earn cashback on everything. The key is to never carry a balance and never spend more than I can pay in full. I very rarely pay in cash. I tend to use cash for things like when I let my son run into subway for a take out sandwhich while I wait in the car, or school lunches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results