shape
carat
color
clarity

Old House New House Red House Blue House!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Teebee, benjamin moore makes color samples of their paint now--they have them anywhere BM paint is sold. it''s a great idea-each sample covers a 4 x 4 section of wall so you ccan see how a color will look before you commit.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ralph Lauren has those paint samples too, you can also buy them online. They are $6 each I think. It''s a great way to try out colors.

TB..it''s funny because I love your flair with color and you like my ''sophisticated'' colorless theme, ehehe. Grass is greener, but in reality I really like our house the way it is and how it is coming together...it''s just when you are actually having to make big decisions on things like color or art, it''s always such a trauma!!! I find it very hard to commit!!

It''s also hard to see your work and house through other people''s eyes! I always feel like our house is ''naked'' and bare but yet I have friends who come over and go wow your house is beautifu, i love the decor and I am like HUH. I actually had a friend tell me ''mara you''re so amazing with the decor, you have to come over and help me out at my house!" and i looked at her like she grew another head. I was all..what are you talking about? It made me look at the house with new eyes, aka like a stranger or infrequent visitor!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Yes it is roll tide...He he I moved into a place where the furniture was part of the condo you were buying. They were pained a medium tan color. Bleh. And had red/gold carpeting and red/gold furniture for the table and chairs, barstolls, coach and wing chair. I reipped up the orignal flooring and put in pergo. And my walls are light gray in the main room (red for a brief time but it was too much red, dark gray blue in the bedroom and medium gray for the bathroom. I will have to see if I can find any picutres of my apt where you can actually see anything.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Cool - thanks for letting me know about the Benjamin Moore & Ralph Lauren paint samples!!

Mara ~ you are so right - I was always very invested in my house & everything I''d done to it so I couldn''t really tell how others would see it but I had the same thing happen w/ a friend wanting me to come over and help her. And really, all I did in each room was pick out some little thing that I liked, and then worked around that item to pick out paint & other things.

Here, I''ll post some more *bold* & *colorful* rooms:

Kitchen: I found some striped kitchen towels at Target. Thought they were cute so I put a tension rod up over window & just hung the towels over the rod for a little cheap-o valance.

47b5dc07b3127cce90201a7a689800000016108Act2bVm3ct4

So... then I copied the stripes from the towels on the opposite wall & then just happened to come across the little bistro table at Pottery Barn. Normally, I wouldn''t do stripes, but it was only one full wall above the chair rail and a little bit of the adjacent wall - the other 2 walls were all cabinets & appliances. And periwinkle stripes weren''t quite as bright as they appear in this photo - it looks very lavender in this pic but it had more of a bluish tint.

47b5dc07b3127cce90201a7de9af00000016108Act2bVm3ct4

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2005 5:43:59 PM
Author: teebee
Cool - thanks for letting me know about the Benjamin Moore & Ralph Lauren paint samples!!

Mara ~ you are so right - I was always very invested in my house & everything I''d done to it so I couldn''t really tell how others would see it but I had the same thing happen w/ a friend wanting me to come over and help her. And really, all I did in each room was pick out some little thing that I liked, and then worked around that item to pick out paint & other things.

Here, I''ll post some more *bold* & *colorful* rooms:

Kitchen: I found some striped kitchen towels at Target. Thought they were cute so I put a tension rod up over window & just hung the towels over the rod for a little cheap-o valance.

47b5dc07b3127cce90201a7a689800000016108Act2bVm3ct4

So... then I copied the stripes from the towels on the opposite wall & then just happened to come across the little bistro table at Pottery Barn. Normally, I wouldn''t do stripes, but it was only one full wall above the chair rail and a little bit of the adjacent wall - the other 2 walls were all cabinets & appliances. And periwinkle stripes weren''t quite as bright as they appear in this photo - it looks very lavender in this pic but it had more of a bluish tint.

47b5dc07b3127cce90201a7de9af00000016108Act2bVm3ct4
You need to go on HGTV.
9.gif

LOVE it! I love color... iincluding taupes and creams, but I have just 2 rooms like that with all the others decorated with a different color...pale yellow with lilac accents, sage green, mountain green, sky blue, burlap.... YUM!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh how exciting.
Congrats on the home.

emcocktl.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
teebee i LOVE what u did with the kitchen valance and adjacent wall!! it looks amazing..u do have a flare for decorating and im sure ur personality will shine thru as well in ur new house! good luck!

i can''t wait to get my on house and start decorating (which im sure will drive me crazy coz i can be very indecisive!) but thats still a long way from now so im not gonna worry about that just yet
1.gif

jnybrk

Rough_Rock
I love your house! You did a great job with the redecorating!! Good Luck with the rest of it!

Jenny Brooke

icekid

Ideal_Rock
teebee- I totally can''t wait to see how you decorate the new place. You definitely have a gift! I love that striped wall... I''d really like to do something like that eventually- I am a color lover too!

I totally hear you, Mara, about not realizing how your place looks to others. I think you just get used to it, so it''s same old... and you don''t realize that you did such a great job
36.gif

Rockchick

Brilliant_Rock
boink (rockchick falling off chair)

THAT is your house??? It looks AMAZING!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Congrats
36.gif
36.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Awww, you guys are so sweet!!

Jennifer ~ I think something on HGTV would be a blast - what a dream job!! Ooooooo, all the colors you mentioned sound yummy!!! Narrowing it down to one is always the hardest thing for me though!!!!

Sevens ~ thanks!! We are awfully excited - oops - did I say ''we''??? Bryan... is not the excitable type... whatever, I''m excited enough for both of us!

msb700 ~ thanks, that''s so nice. I loved the stripes too - FI and I have already had an argument about them... because he didn''t like the stripes...
20.gif
whatever, I loved them, and he never saw my kitchen w/out the stripes - it was a dingy grey color w/ dingy white cabinets... talk about depressing!! I understand the indecisiveness - I was totally born with that gene!! It''s a fun time, even if it''s a long way off for you, it is something exciting to look forward to!

Icekid ~ thanks. I would love to do stripes eventually again too... but man, that was the most labor intensive paint job I did in my entire house, aside from hand texturing the bathroom, which wasn''t really painting, but it was like icing a GIANT CAKE!! I may repeat the stripes in a little breakfast nook of the new house... I just don''t know if I''ve got the energy...
28.gif

Rockchick ~ oops! You okay?!?! Well, the first large set of pics is our new house. The second set is from my old house that I sold to move in with fiance. I''ve been missing my old house so much, and I put sooooooo much work into it (lots of my personal blood, sweat, and tears!!) so I''m excited to get in this new place and have a chance to get creative again.

Okay, I''m posting a couple more pictures from my old house because this is the one room my FI really liked - but it was a very colorful room and the yellow and orange colors were quite bold - so it surprised me that he''d liked it. This was my ''bargain'' room - the dining table was a floor model from Pottery Barn that I got 1/2 price, the cabinet is an amazing antique from India and it is absolutely solid wood & cast iron - very heavy - but I found it at an antique auction for $100. The painting was damaged (almost imperceptibly) during shipping and I got it for free (FedEx never picked it up)... Anyhow, all of the trim looks black, but it''s actually painted dark brown - the room was originally peach w/ white trim...

47b5dc07b3127cce9020fde2a9db00000016108Act2bVm3ct4

47b5dc07b3127cce90201a7be9a900000016108Act2bVm3ct4

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
*bump*

teebee, i loved reading this thread and wanted to know if there was any new updates since ur last post and any new ''design'' ideas?
1.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/4/2005 11:03:36 AM
Author: msb700
*bump*

teebee, i loved reading this thread and wanted to know if there was any new updates since ur last post and any new ''design'' ideas?
1.gif

Aw, that''s sweet, thanks for asking, msb!!

I don''t know that there are any real updates - I''m a little nervous right now because we rec''d the appraisal yesterday... And everything is fine and it appraised for over our purchase price... BUT, the appraiser came up with right around 2000sf, while all of the tax records show 2500sf. So at first FI was pissed, feeling that the size had been misrepresented by the seller & her agent. Our realtor then went back through several deed transfers over the last 35 years, and all of the paperwork, including current county tax records, and all show 2500 s.f., so no one was deliberately trying to be deceitful, so FI calmed down on that. But, now FI is thinking that it''s just not the big bargain he thought it was & is disappointed about that. My point to him is that it still has the POTENTIAL to be over 2500sf if we complete the build-out in the attic, then finish out the basement, which we were already planning. Plus, even if we don''t finish out the basement or the remaining attic space and never end up using either of those as LIVING spaces, they are still USEABLE spaces for us - laundry, storage, etc. I''m trying to explain to FI, that whether or not some appraiser included these spaces in his report does not determine whether or not these spaces are useable - does that make sense? AND, even if it is not the $75/sf bargain that we thought it was, it is still listed about $25 less per sf than the average in that neighborhood... I just think that the positives still far outweigh that one square footage issue. I don''t see us finding a better house for us in the same neighborhood, with that much space (including a 3 car garage + workshop), in our price range for several more years sooooooo... HOPEFULLY, my FI will come to that same conclusion...

As for design ideas... Absolutely, I''ve got a few & I think I''ve found a color I really like for the living room that will go w/ the funky sofa ~ I took some of the fabric used on the throw pillows & small chairs to the paint store & found something that kinda matches the background color of that design - I don''t even know how to describe it but it''s like a deep tan w/ a hint of a gold tone? And I''m thinking of going red again in the bathroom... I was crushed yesterday after FI read the appraisal and said he might be reconsidering, so until I hear something a little more positive from him, then I''m trying to keep my lofty design ideas to a minimum!
19.gif

msb700

Brilliant_Rock
oh teebee! sorry to hear about the mix up in the #''s....but what u said is so true, about the space being available for you to either live in or utilize in some other way. Hopefully your fiance will reconsider and realize that this *is* in reality an amazing bargain for the location/space/price and a three car garage!

and great news about finding the perfect color and moving forward with the design ideas..hopefully they won''t be put on hold and u can continue with that!

Wishing you all the best!!!!
1.gif

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
Well, my newest assignment has been to get property insurance quotes & FI called the realtor to find out when the piers were being installed (is that the right terminology???) so I guess we''re still on track!! August 30th can''t come fast enough for me!!

In the meantime... I''ve been shopping...
2.gif

I love this clock, just got it today...

AT363_AS05-S-Z.jpg

JessesGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Teebee, that house was under 200K??? where are you???? i live in a hamplet right outside Rinebeck, hudson valley NY...we are house hunting and it seems SHACKS and COTTAGES are 300K...I am SOOOO jealous, your house is LOVELY

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
wow I can''t believe I missed this thread the first time around!!! teebee that is such a lovely house!!!!!! and the price!!!! OMG... I need too move out of the bay area!!
9.gif

Love the decor in the old house too, you really have a nice touch. A comment about the living room color - if you do go w/grey/blue, I would choose a lighter tone. I find blue to be very cooling, which is nice, but too blue, and the room feels cold to me. I lived in a bedroom with a rather strong blue, and it just felt un-cozy, if that makes any sense. But it might work better in the living room.

Anyhow, congrats!!! And love that clock too, btw.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Teebee love that clock! We got one the other day from eBay that was in Ballard for $130 and I got it on eBay for $60. Such a steal and it looks amazing in our entryway! Greg loves that it actually works, some of the larger ones don''t. Ours is 24" I think.

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
JessesGrl ~ Thanks! Yup, actually $184,000 to be exact. We live in Oklahoma, cost of living is wonderfully affordable here.

Flopkins ~ Thank you - I''m still so excited about it!! Yeah, I think that a light blue/grey is soothing - I love it for a bathroom to get that spa feeling... My favorite color is blue, but it just doesn''t work everywhere. I think I''ve nixed the idea of a blue/grey or anything in between for the living room - I brought home tons of color samples & I just couldn''t get it to work, no matter what shade or tone - it just looked kind of awkward. Plus, being the living room, I kinda want something in a warmer color because I love a cozy feel in a room where we will spend so much time.

Mara ~ I love Ballard clocks, they can be sooooo expensive so I usually check out ebay first too. You got an awesome deal!! This one is only 14". Funny thing though, I found the clock above on ebay w/ an opening bid of $37.99 & buy it now price of $39.99. So I put it on my watch list & went to Ballard''s website to compare - and their actual retail price was $39.00. So, I''m glad I didn''t bite on that ebay clock - that''ll teach me to do a little due diligence before assuming it''s a good deal!! There''s another one I''m eyeing... I love it - w/ a pale green border - but even on ebay it''s $200... guess I''ll wait on that one!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
teebee your house looks amazing!!! i''m so jealous you''ve found your dream house and it''s in your budget!!! i''m still looking! I love your style...can''t wait to see what you do with your new house!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
teebee our clock is the ''cafe marguerites'' one from Ballard but I can''t find it on their website now. it''s the old vintage french gallery dark cream with ''antique'' markings one. we love it and get lots of compliments on it. i wanted to go bigger like 30" but the 23" is actually the perfect size for our entry wall...we didn''t want it to ''overwhelm'' the wall.

on our other entry wall behind the door where our console table is, we just put up the st michel plaque (attached picture) over our console, which looks just awesome. LOVE IT. i got this on ebay too. it retails on ballard for 129 + shipping + oversized of $20 i think. i got it for something like $99 and then $20 shipping. So saved a few bucks.

i love ballard but i could never design the whole house with stuff from it, it''s TOO much if that makes sense. so i like taking one or two pieces and then mixing them with my own other things or Pottery Barn different pieces. also i love ballard art, and if you like it too, get it on eBay! There is this guy who sells tons of what ballard sells, the prints only, for 1/4 of what the whole piece costs in ballard. I am in love with the bright red tulips picture that is something like $350 in Ballard for a 36x42 framed print. well the print itself on eBay is $60 and i can get it framed either locally or online through pictureframes.com to the same size for about $120.00. So we''re talking under $200 for the same thing if I did it myself! i love a good deal.
2.gif

stmichel plaque.jpg

teebee

Brilliant_Rock
mara - i know the clock you''re talking about. a friend of mine has it in her dining room & i love it! and that plaque is awesome - i''ve got my eye on the marseille plaque. i know what you mean about Ballard being ''too much'' - that same friend w/ the clock has so much of their stuff in her house... and while it''s a beautiful home... it''s so overwhelming - i''m on sesory overload the minute i walk in the door!! my style kind of runs the gammut but i tend to really like the look of using one or two ornate items as focal points - usually antique or antique-like (Ballard) - then surrounding with with simpler, more contemperary pieces - like Pottery Barn. i love Ballard''s art too!! i''ve seen that ebay guy you mentioned and have a couple of those prints on my list.... not having a job means that a good deal is the only way i can buy stuff right now!! the big painting on the right wall of my dining room posted above came from ballard - i had mentioned it to my mom & she got it for me as a housewarming gift, but i couldn''t have spent over $350 (i think) for it myself. in the end it was free because they''re packing was terrible & it got damaged during shipping - long story but FedEx never picked up the damaged one....

here''s the other clock i want - i did find the 18" on ebay starting at $119... but it''s not exactly the same as the 31" clock - the smaller one is framed & i can''t decide which i prefer...

AT355-S-Z.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a very pretty house, teebee. We once had a charming old "Tudor" (built in 1929) of which your home reminds me. Unfortunately, our home was on I-95!!! People would say, "Oh...you live in XYZ! Do you live on the water?" and I would say, "No, we live on the Thruway". Inside it was quiet. (We had double panes of glass thoughout the house.) But outside one had to shout to be heard over the roar of traffic. An outside barbecue would have been impossible. So, when we could afford to do so, we moved on :).

Deborah

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
teebee love that clock!! ITA on the overdecor of some of the Ballard stuff. Our house is more ''minimalist'' with not too much going on and so I don''t want things that clash or look cluttered or too overdone. So far so good...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Teebee, I am just awed!! I''d seen the wonderful house pics when you first found the house, but I managed to miss this thread. WOW!! You are so talented! I''m just amazed at your decorating skills and know that you are going to turn this gorgeous house into a masterpiece!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
I swear, I want to hire you someday--what a great eye you have!

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
Teebee, that picture in your dining room that you got for free??? My mom definitely has that picture in her new house in the "great room." It''s such a beautiful picture!!! Small world, huh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results