shape
carat
color
clarity

Old diamond cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know a little about where and how diamonds are bought and sold, but the one thing I wanted could not find (on, or offline). My goal was a table cut diamond, not all that big but clear and good color, and, if possible, cut and especially polished nowadays.

However, knowing that the wide public interest in this cut died out in the 1700''s, I headed for antique dealers, only to find that even larger, good quality rose cuts are rather rare encounters and then, when you do find one, the costs reflects the historic value of the jewelry piece rather that of the stone. Still, no table cuts.

After a rather long search, I am seriously considering to get a well-formed crystal instead (such as a bi-piramidal macle, with good color, clarity and natural lustre). Before I go ahead, I thought I would ask once more for your help: where could one purchase a table cut diamond large enough to ''stand alone'' as a center stone?

Thanks for reading and replying!
wavey.gif

Balustroid

Rough_Rock
valeria101,

How does a table cut diamond look like? Do you have a picture of it? It sounds interesting to me.

Good luck!
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/5/2003 2:45:59 AM Balustroid wrote:

valeria101,

How does a table cut diamond look like?
----------------

Well, is basically a piece of crystal with a large facet (table) on top and a few more irregular facets around it. The whole thing looks more like a polished quartz piece in a rock shop than a diamond. This was the first cut applied to diamonds and a few of the famous diamonds are historic table cuts. At the link below you can see perhaps the largest if not best known of them... abd that site is interesting too. Well, I don't even have a decent picture of a good looking but still mundane table cut.

http://famousdiamonds.tripod.com/darya-i-nurdiamond.html

Thanks for your interest!
1.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
U can read a little here...

http://www.duttonsdiamonds.com/articles/cut.html

They look like these...

TableCuts.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5.gif
Thanks for all your help! It has been a great time at Pricescope!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results