shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Lovers...... please sign in!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
peony~your little guy is fabulous!! Can''t wait to see it set!

paeony

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/7/2009 8:59:39 PM
Author: Burk
peony~your little guy is fabulous!! Can''t wait to see it set!
Thanks Burk!! Me too!! (going through a little separation anxiety at the moment)... I hate waiting!!
14.gif

(p.s. your avatar pic could not be cuter! she is beautiful!)

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
oec with tran cuts--will be remounting both rings.

1oec7777a.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
You are NOT touching that three stone!!! We''ll organize an intervention if necessary!!!!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 11:16:12 AM
Author: coatimundi
oec with tran cuts--will be remounting both rings.

Love the new one!! What are your plans for these?

Paeony~Thanks for the sweet compliment about my DD! I''ll be looking for a thread with pics of your little guy!
2.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, Coati--that ring is perfect exactly as it is!

Adding my latest, a .5-.6 I-Don''t-Know-What-Cut in what I think is probably its original 1920s setting. It''s the bottom ring in this pictures (the top is my Infinity modern brilliant):

transcutdecogl7.jpg

And another shot of the oldie:

transcutdecogl1.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
30.gif

I seriously need to stay out of this thread and quit looking at these pictures! These old cuts make my heart go pitter patter-and make my husband say "Make up your mind woman!" Are the prices of these old cuts comparable to a modern cut or are they more?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Prices are comparable or sometimes less. They can be much more difficult to buy though due to scarceness of good stones, and MUCH more difficult to judge because numbers rarely help significantly like they do with modern round brilliants. Best thing to do is to find a well respected dealer in old stones to help source candidates, then rely on your eyes to choose.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I voted OMC. I adore cushions and big, chunky facets. Lovely photos everyone, thank you.
35.gif

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ACCCKKK!!!
18.gif
18.gif
30.gif
30.gif
3.gif
3.gif

Haven''t visited this thread for a while and I have missed all these beauties!!!

Alj, your ring is FABULOUS!!!! Love the cut on that stone and the setting is to-die-for (reminds me of one that I have been jonesing for a while now).. Gladder still to hear that you find old cuts beautiful!

Coati, girl, is that a new diamond that I see???? Perhaps I should really push for a face-to-face meeting now, donchathink?

LURVE everyone''s pieces and Uppy, can''t thank you enough for starting this thread. We are hopelessly in love with old cuts and really love that they are enjoying such a huge comeback...

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have any samples of some nice rose cut diamonds? I ask because my best friend just had her great grandmother''s diamond set into an antique setting...she was told her diamond is a rose cut, but when I saw it, it didn''t look like a rose cut to me. It would have been ''new'' in the early 1900''s. Were rose cuts popular at that time? Thanks!
21.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 7:32:44 PM
Author: HeartingDiamonds

Coati, girl, is that a new diamond that I see???? Perhaps I should really push for a face-to-face meeting now, donchathink?

31.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kc,
That's just so beautiful. From the large culet to the sapphires surrounding it.
30.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/15/2009 1:30:38 PM
Author: Chrono
Kc,
That''s just so beautiful. From the large culet to the sapphires surrounding it.
30.gif
Thanks Chrono! I''ve always wanted a stone like this and I''m thrilled!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I should have stayed out of this thread!!! I am in love with OEC diamonds!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple pics of my new ebay oec - 0.39cts, L/M, loupe clean at 10x.
1.gif
It has a strong kozibe effect which is fun to view
1.gif

DSC02742-resize.JPG

DSC02715resize.JPG

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I have a question for all you old cut experts...

Do transitional cut stones have culet facets normally? The antique necklace that was passed to me from my great grandmother (posted over in BWW) has some old cut stones (as well as some single cuts) and they all have pretty good sized culet facets. When I look at them from the side the table seems pretty small and they appear to have steep tables (though I realize steep and small are relative terms!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 10:33:41 AM
Author: Clairitek

Do transitional cut stones have culet facets normally? The antique necklace that was passed to me from my great grandmother (posted over in BWW) has some old cut stones (as well as some single cuts) and they all have pretty good sized culet facets. When I look at them from the side the table seems pretty small and they appear to have steep tables (though I realize steep and small are relative terms!).

They can, but they are often small. IMO what you have in that necklace is either OEC'S or OMC's. Hard to tell further without close up shots of the stones though. (And that necklace is STUNNING btw!)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 10:27:24 AM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 2/21/2009 10:33:41 AM
Author: Clairitek

They can, but they are often small. IMO what you have in that necklace is either OEC''S or OMC''s. Hard to tell further without close up shots of the stones though. (And that necklace is STUNNING btw!)
Thanks for the help neatfreak! I had a feeling after looking at some of the magnified shots of transiotional cut stones in this thread.

I found some link to the faceting patterns in OMCs and OECs so I will try to get some better pics and get to the bottom of this.
1.gif

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 12:37:39 AM
Author: glitterata
Yeah, Coati--that ring is perfect exactly as it is!

Adding my latest, a .5-.6 I-Don''t-Know-What-Cut in what I think is probably its original 1920s setting. It''s the bottom ring in this pictures (the top is my Infinity modern brilliant):

transcutdecogl7.jpg

And another shot of the oldie:

transcutdecogl1.jpg
The bottom ring looks like a transitional cut, Glitterata.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Allison. I agree, it has a large table and short lgfs, which is how transitionals have been described here--but on another thread about this ring, Storm objected to the term because he finds it too vague, not specific enough. And I know what he means, because this diamond looks nothing like my other transitional cut.

Whatever this one is, it has an amazing Idealscope image. I wish I were better at taking photos with the Idealscope. This stone has very little leakage, and it has terrific scintillation--its big, patchy virtual facets blink on and off like a chessboard. But I think the big table may be making it give off less fire than some other diamonds I''ve seen.

It''s so interesting to me how different these old cuts look from one another. This is an entirely different animal from my other transition cut, which also has a big table, but has longer lgfs and I assume different angles. That one is more arrowy, less chessboardy (though still much less splintery than a modern round brilliant).

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I love OEC and OMC. I couldn''t choose between the two, so I picked both.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
Now I can play too. I recently took a chance on ebay and scored this 2ct J color VVS clarity (preliminary, dont'' want to send it off for cert.). It came with a full appraial and my local jeweler verified it matches. I want to put it into a Tiffany reproduction. I am ABSOLUTELY in love with this cut!

SIZZLESOEC1.JPG

Yellowgem

Rough_Rock
Upgradable, I SO want that ring you posted and described as "Here's a picture of what I would consider an early oec. The faceting is not quite as regular as some of the later cuts. This happens to be a ring that I just picked up from my jeweler."

I so so so want it!!! Setting and stone are perfection!!!

I collect older cuts as well (can I post them in this thread?). I don't really know which cut is my favorite but I really love some of the ones with a cushion shape. My first old cut stone was actually not a diamond. It was a sapphire. My jeweler friend creates replica pieces and used a sapphire with what I believe is a mine cut in his setting. I got it at a discount because he was aware of it's irregularity and less than perfectly round shape. I particularly loved it for being so imperfect. Since then I've found several diamond rings with antique stones and settings. I love them more than the modern stones.

To tell the truth I love asscher, emerald, modern cushions, radiants, and to a lesser degree princess cut stones too. But when it comes to a round shape I don't really like the modern brilliant. I by far prefer the antique cuts.

How about Rose Cuts? Anyone here have a rose cut? I like them too but they are not quite as sparkly.
How about
writers cuts?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Please please please post your pretties!! Anyone who loves old cuts knows that the more eye candy the better!!!! Can''t wait to see!!

Yellowgem

Rough_Rock
I will take some photos! I still really want that one ring you posted...just not sure I can afford it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results