shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut lovers - is the age of the diamond important to you?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Usually Old Mines predate OECS which predate transitionals. I'm just curious if some of you prefer old mines bc they are older, or OECs to transitionals bc of age, etc. OR is it mainly the beauty of the diamond that determines your choices when it comes to purchase. I love all of them and typically am drawn toward the pattern of a stone more than it's age, but was curious about the thought process of others.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them all although I have gone through seasons. For a while I was only interested in OEC’s and OMC’s but now I can appreciate early round brilliants as well.

It has taken a while to figure out that I would rather have a smaller, higher color, better clarity old cut than a bigger one.

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
That's an interesting question. I interpret it as authenticity vs aesthetics.

For me, I like the aesthetics of an antique stone vs the authenticity or history of it. I'd rather a modern interpretation of a classic style with ideal symmetry and optics. The history or the story of the stone isn't important to me if it isn't a family heirloom.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the historical aspect of the old cuts.
Imagining how they were cut with rudimentary tools, and worked into hand made settings. Imagine 19th century ladies wearing these pieces. Only monied people could afford a diamond back then. It's all very fascinating to me!

When I found an OMC in a modern setting at a pawn shop, I nearly swooned like Aunt Pittypat!
Aunt-Pitty-faints.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both the authenticity of old cuts, history and all, and their beauty. Their history makes them fascinating and romantic and their beauty and old world charm speaks for itself.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I love the history but what made me fall in love is just how it looks. I love the big culet of old mine. Newer cut diamonds just don’t speak to me, I don’t know why.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just to clarify - I’m not comparing old cuts to MRBs. I’m curious as to whether you guys prefer your diamonds on the older end (Old Mine) vs newer (Trannys).

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader
Oh, we're just gushing over all the old cuts and not answering your question!
All things being equal, think I would prefer an OMC over an OEC, because OMCs are older, which makes them more alluring to me.

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I love them all although I have gone through seasons. For a while I was only interested in OEC’s and OMC’s but now I can appreciate early round brilliants as well.

It has taken a while to figure out that I would rather have a smaller, higher color, better clarity old cut than a bigger one.

I never seen old cuts in higher color by me, do they appear bigger? I know kind of random but I saw my sister-in-law and her small solitaire looks so much bigger than it is. you could tell it was a good cut and color.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@Mreader
Oh, we're just gushing over all the old cuts and not answering your question!
All things being equal, think I would prefer an OMC over an OEC, because OMCs are older, which makes them more alluring to me.

Haha gush away!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never seen old cuts in higher color by me, do they appear bigger? I know kind of random but I saw my sister-in-law and her small solitaire looks so much bigger than it is. you could tell it was a good cut and color.

The highest color I have (if I remember right) is a G color transitional. To me it looks bigger than its size but not sure if that is because it’s also so bright. I am not at all color sensitive at all so a G looks super white to me.

Your SIL’s is probably benefitting from both the color and cut.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I like and appreciate the romance of history surrounding the rocks, but otherwise I'll take one of each thanks.
Beauty is the most important thing for me. Preferably with a major tint.:love:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beauty for me. The facets IMHO are magical.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
For me I guess the older the better haha. If I could find a peruzzi that would be awesome. So I really love omc from the faceting to the large culet to the high crown. I think something about them being so rustic and so unique compared to oecs who in my opinion are a little too perfect sometimes. I wouldn't say no if someone presented me with a 5ct oec though haha.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I love all of them, from wonky 15th century rose cuts to transitionals and everything in between.

I pick because of the beauty of an individual stone. I think in some cuts I really like bright white (like crisp OECs), I could potentially see liking a brown or yellow OMC...but I think the "middle colors" bug me

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a hard one to answer cause I feel like I’d need to see at least 50 of each type to be sure. Wouldn’t that be an awesome day, LOL. I have seen very few trannys in person. One was glorious and the others were not. I prefer the high crown of OMCs, but the ones I’ve seen have been been smaller and wonkier in shape so it’s hard to compare with OECs. And size is important to me. Seems like OMCs tend to run deep and in larger sizes it’s hard for me to pay for weight I can’t see.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And if anyone is looking for a project, DBL has a small stash of light yellow OMBs. Swoon!!! But not right for me so hope one of you buys them and does something fabulous ‘cause I’m having serious FOMO.
EAF1D541-C8BA-4379-9072-2CF022DC623C.jpeg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
And if anyone is looking for a project, DBL has a small stash of light yellow OMBs. Swoon!!! But not right for me so hope one of you buys them and does something fabulous ‘cause I’m having serious FOMO.
EAF1D541-C8BA-4379-9072-2CF022DC623C.jpeg

lovely! Where specifically did you see this? Link?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovely! Where specifically did you see this? Link?

They aren’t on his site. I contacted him about something else and he shared these. If you reach out to him I’m sure he would respond with all the details.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
From an appraiser's viewpoint and what I have observed over the years:
I have appraised many more Old European Cut diamonds than Old Mine Cuts.
Most folks that have anything in an "old cut" assume it's an Old Mine Cut.
Many jewelers incorrectly lump all Old Cuts into Old Mine Cut category.
Old cut diamonds can appear whiter in the setting, but most likely when removed will be 1-3 grades darker.
Years ago, actually when I first started in the biz, 1980, jewelers were recutting most all old cuts into round modern brilliant cuts. There was little consumer demand back then. Now, it's prudent to keep most old cuts "as-is" because there is certainly a market for them.
Personally, I like the wide variety of Old Mine Cuts with the large open culets the best.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like thinking that I have rescued little pieces of history so the older the better for me. Plus I think the older ones are just more beautiful, sparkly speaking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results