shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok, decision time! Opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, (sorry don''t know how to add to my old thread so started a new one).

As some of you may remember I''m on the hunt for a yellow Asscher for my replacement e-ring. Thanks to a helpful post about a blue topaz Asscher by someone the other day I discovered Doug from Bespoke Gems.

He has been amazing and helped me so much and given me a chance to get something within my budget (at last!) BUT now I''m struggling to decide which coloured rough to go with.

Here is the link: Bespoke Gems Yellow Rough

I am torn between a vibrant golden yellow (Y5-Y6) or a more pale lemony yellow (Y7-Y8).

My inspiration is Heidi Klum Ring.

Any thoughts, advice???

Thanks in advance.
35.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it''s hard to decide on a shade (Y4 would probably be my favorite), so maybe you can help yourself by deciding on the metal color. For instance, I like lemony shades set in white metals, while I prefer those deeper (golden, honey...) ones in yellow gold. Your setting preference can also help you decide; asschers are very deep cuts that deepen the shade of stone''s color, so if you''d like something bezeled (that would further darken the chosen shade) maybe that golden would end up being too close to occhre-brown for your taste after setting. Doesen''t have to happen, I''m just trying to give some examples. Or you can think about optical properties that you like - if you''re more into bling and enjoy catching those reflections that "shoot sparks" out of the stone, than lemony yellow would be a better option (the lighter the better in that case). Or think about your skin tone - would any of those shades be to similar to your skin and blend in? Hope this helps.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m so glad you found Doug, he is awesome! My favorite of the options is the lemon yellow. I think it is a great color that is easily combined with so many other colors and styles (sophisticated, elegant and yet sunny). I agree with Mr Ma_re that it would look best with a white metal. You are my inspiration HotPozzum, please post pictures once you get it. I may have to get myself a citrine asscher when I have the funds. I''m completely lacking yellow stones in my collection. Yay for your project, so exciting!!!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a picture of the Heidi Klum ring so some of us can see what color and design your inspiraton ring is like. I believe she wears a yellow diamond, but if it''s vivid saturation (as I would imagine a celebrity to wear), I don''t think citrine will do it for you since there are typically strong brown secondary modifiers in citrine. I''ve seen more vivid yellow danburite and that might be an option if someone could obtain it to cut in the shape you''re looking for, or perhaps a vivid yellow crysoberyl (without brown secondaries). A Mali garnet is a nice option since it''s very dispersive, like a diamond, as well as yellow (some have a lot of brown in them though).

A citrine of course is fine, but just know it probably won''t come any where close to the same color as a vivid canary yellow diamond. As long as you know that and you''re okay with that, then that''s fine. However, if not, it is always difficult to find such a yellow color in a stone, let alone having it cut the way you want. Here''s an example of neon yellow asscher danburite cut by Jeff White.

neonyellowdanburite.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m with Mare on the citrine. I prefer Y4 but I’m not sure any of the rough pictured can match up to the inspiration ring. The colour is going to look different. If you pick a yellower shade, it does not have the same intensity of colour. If you go for the richer colour, it may end up tending towards a honey colour.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go pale. I would worry that the golden would have too much brown in it for what you want once cut and set.

HTH

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Is this the ring, HotPozzum? It looks like an elongated cushion cut, not an asscher, so I''m assuming you''re referencing it just for color. It''s lovely!

Is it general advice to go lighter in color with asschers, to see the step cuts better?

Heidi Klum ring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, a lighter coloured stone means that it will be easier to see the steps.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As most of the rough you''ve chosen won''t be dark (I don''t think), I would go for the slightly darker shades, Y5 or Y6 - the rough seems to have an additional glow. HOWEVER, have you seen the rough Golden Beryl #r123?????? Helidor can be wonderful and sparkles like mad!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe its just my skin tone, but I feel like yellow can be completely different once its against your hand. I like Y7, personally, but could never wear it. Do you have a sense of what would look good against your skin or anyway to test that (whether on gems in a shop or a really good color printer)?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh boy, so many choices.... just for some reference this link has quite a variety of citrine shade, what color do you really like and looks good with your skin tone?

http://www.bestcutgems.com/citrine

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advice.
36.gif

Yes, that is the correct picture of Heidi Klum''s ring I was refering to, the colour is fantastic.
30.gif

Obviously I''m aware mine won''t be so "canary" or sparkle like that but I like the overall golden look. I wear all yellow gold so should look nice once set.

Am heading for paler shades but don''t want it to look washed out if you know what I mean. I want even colour throughout the stone so it definitely looks yellow even from a distance. But then again I''m aware of the brown modifier in the more golden shades....

Ugh! So hard to decide!
32.gif
Just want a classic sunny lemon stone....

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the yellow beryl LD mentioned, personally!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I love the Heliodor, he has offered that to me too. Such a terrific "glow".

The price is a bit higher so I have to consider that and he said it will only cut a 8mm stone not 10mm as I''m aiming for.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.
9.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I think that 8mm is a very realistic size for an asscher. My ring size is 6½. At 10mm, the stone will be at a depth of approx 8.0mm, which will make it sit pretty high on your finger.

My citrine asscher cut by Peter Toracca is 11.21mm and has a depth of 8.97mm. This makes it too deep for a ring for me.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I like the idea of pale yellow.

citrine asscher for gailey 01.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I just read that citrine fades in the sun.
23.gif
Is that true? I don''t work outdoors but is this something i should be worried about? What about Heliodor? Any probs there I should know?

I''m also thinking of getting the 8mm instead and getting 6mm sidestones to look sorta like Evelyns''s gigantic stunning 3 stone asscher. (pic is somewhere on PS I''m sure)

What do you think? Better idea? Lower, wider spread of stones maybe more practical? Love the idea of massive 10mm asscher though...
31.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Fading is something you should discuss with the cutter, but as far as I know, probably 90% of citrine never fades (at least not noticably). Nothing to worry about with heliodor, but do remember that neither is an extremly hard stone, so you shouldn''t wear it like 24/7. And the clean lines of an asscher allow for even the smallest of scratches and damages to be more easily seen, compared to brilliant cuts - not that you can see them from yards away, but they''re not as "invisible" as in the rounds or ovals.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Howdy again all,

Ok need some more advice asap. I have been offered dream stone - 10mm Helidor and it''s a stunner! BUT my ring size is about a 4 and although I lurve the huge size of the stone, am worried that the depth of the stone (8.2mm) will make for a really high clumsy ring. Should I wait for a smaller stone....

Can anyone show me examples of taller rings? Or larger Asschers? I know Evelynn''s is a 5ct centre but she doesn''t mention the mm measurements of how high it sits.

Thanks again
35.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
A bezel would protect it more, and nowdays it''s not unusual to see those bezels with open sides, that would allow more light to come from behind the stone. A large stone will always sit high off the finger, no matter what the cut or design of the ring, and will ask for more care and attention while you wear it. It''s one of the downsides of large gems. An 8 mm stone would sit slightly lower, but would still be around 6 mm deep. Of course, you should get something you''ll love and wear, but you do have thin fingers and a large stone might not be a look you''ll love - or it might be just the opposite
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the unspoken disadvantage of having an asscher cut stone in very large sizes. It is a naturally deep cut and only gets deeper as the stone gets larger. Whatever setting design you choose, it will require custom setting due to the extreme depth.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A stone with a lower refractive index such as citrine or golden beryl will need to be cut deeper than stones with a higher RI. For higher RI stones, look for yellow zircon, yellow sapphire, yellow grossularite garnet. These if cut correctly wouldn''t be as deep as the citrine or beryl.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about contacting Gene at Precision Gem? I just bought this grossular garnet asscher from him. Not sure if he has any rough left, but I expect it will be a lovely pale yellow.

1.38ct.GrossularGarnetAsscher6.61mm.jpg

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 4:21:16 AM
Author: HotPozzum
Howdy again all,

Ok need some more advice asap. I have been offered dream stone - 10mm Helidor and it's a stunner! BUT my ring size is about a 4 and although I lurve the huge size of the stone, am worried that the depth of the stone (8.2mm) will make for a really high clumsy ring. Should I wait for a smaller stone....

Can anyone show me examples of taller rings? Or larger Asschers? I know Evelynn's is a 5ct centre but she doesn't mention the mm measurements of how high it sits.

Thanks again
35.gif
Do you have any pics of the 10mm heliodor?
30.gif

My scapolite ring is bezel set with an 8.25 asscher, and it's about 6 mm deep. Let me try and find a pic for you.

I'm a size 5 btw.
21.gif

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, well unfortunately due to dithering husband I missed out on this round of stones.
39.gif

You can view and buy these beauties at an ridiculously reasonable price on Doug''s website. Bespoke Gems I sincerely hope someone from PS gets them and enjoys them for me.

I will of course, go ahead and order another one from him. Thought long and hard about it last night and cannot imagine a 8.2mm high ring on my tiny finger!!!
23.gif
So will stick to 8mm and maybe get small sidestones to complement it instead.

Thanks all for your help and advice.
36.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2009 10:37:31 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier
Have you thought about contacting Gene at Precision Gem? I just bought this grossular garnet asscher from him. Not sure if he has any rough left, but I expect it will be a lovely pale yellow.

Lauren... that grossular looks fab! Can''t wait for the photos
11.gif
I bet it''s going to sparkle like crazy.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer but at least the search continues...

I really like that garnet! I don''t remember seeing it on his site, did you have it cut?

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum, I''m sorry you missed this round, but I think you''re right to stick with an 8mm stone and add the side stones. That will look fabulous!!

Date: 9/14/2009 7:15:52 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 9/14/2009 10:37:31 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Lauren... that grossular looks fab! Can''t wait for the photos
11.gif
I bet it''s going to sparkle like crazy.
Icekid - I got it today, but it''s been raining for nearly a week in DFW, so I''ve not managed to get any good pics yet. I''ll post a thread in a few with ym not so great pics.

Stone Hunter - Gene is kind of enough to supply my demand for crack . . . errrr . . . I mean, Asschers.
11.gif
I asked him to cut it a few weeks ago, and last week I got an email with basically just the specs and the pic. I love this thing! I have no idea how I''ll set it yet, but I''m thinking 3 stone or a bezel pendant.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results