shape
carat
color
clarity

OK, colored stone fans... what do you LOVE about them? Here''s your chance to SELL ME on them!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say that an outstanding blue sapphire is as classic and almost as easy to wear as a diamond. And unfortunately, to get one with excellent cut, color, and clarity in a nice size, you are getting up there in money.
39.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2009 11:15:40 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I would say that an outstanding blue sapphire is as classic and almost as easy to wear as a diamond. And unfortunately, to get one with excellent cut, color, and clarity in a nice size, you are getting up there in money.
39.gif

It can get pretty pricey if you want to go ideal kashmir blue, with ideal cut and clarity across the board. But one of the nice things about colored stones is that the "non ideal" colors can still be beautiful while being very affordable. There are so many permutations of cut, color, and clarity that you can get something lovely for almost any budget.

For example, I love the 1.8ct bicolor sapphire from GemTrader that's 225$/carat. And it's so unique too!

gtbicolor.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2009 11:24:21 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

Date: 10/10/2009 11:15:40 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
39.gif

It can get pretty pricey if you want to go ideal kashmir blue, with ideal cut and clarity across the board. But one of the nice things about colored stones is that the ''non ideal'' colors can still be beautiful while being very affordable. There are so many permutations of cut, color, and clarity that you can get something lovely for almost any budget.

For example, I love the 1.8ct bicolor sapphire from GemTrader that''s 225$/carat. And it''s so unique too!
That is gorgeous! And I DO love every shade of blue, not just the most expensive ones! I would want at least 2.5-3.0 cts., though, and those are not very common as far as I can see at the great cutter''s websites.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually saw a nice 2.9ct sapphire for about $2k. Which is still MUCH cheaper than a 2.9ct diamond! Hehe, too bad trillions aren''t my thing.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Actually, on second thought, there is another reason that I think will resonate with you and many other PSers, Lynn.

In a word.....VARIETY.

Like most jewelry fanatics, we all like SO many different designs, and yet there's only one e-ring. In my tenure on Pricescope, I've lost count of the number of resets folks have done.....going from solitaire to halo, 3-stone, micropave, etc. We like variety, and we fall in love with some of the lovely designs we see here. It's so hard sometimes to pick just ONE look.

Colored stones give us that opportunity to own and enjoy other looks, which often means more contentment with our e-rings.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, you guys (ALL of you!) -- THANK YOU!!!
36.gif

You made some VERY interesting, enlightening, and compelling points, and I have read (and re-read) every one of them. Your passion,enthusiasm and KNOWLEDGE are EXACTLY what I was looking for. I cannot thank you enough.

When I have a little time to really sit down and relax, I plan to brew a cup of tea and look through the CS eye candy thread and do some research into colored stones. I''m dying to see the ones that sparkle and show rainbows like diamonds. Oooooh, I know I could love that!

Soooooo... I may just try swimming in your colored stone pool... RHR, anyone???!!! HOW FUN this might be!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

(BTW, this is me:
30.gif
31.gif
12.gif
. This is DH:
32.gif
14.gif
39.gif
)
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
The reason it''s hard to find nice sapphires in mall stores is that nearly the entire industry is highly focused on selling diamonds, to the near exclusion of everything else.
Rarity is a real factor with sapphires. Nice sapphires are much, much rarer than diamonds.

Here, we complimented a beautiful 2 carat cushion with a halo of small diamonds and smalls set into the shank as well. Combinations of strong colour for eye-pleasing appeal.

Small YWg Sapph.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 11:04:24 PM
Author: Catmom
Ooooo Lynne''s coming over to the dark side.................
31.gif

Ha ha ha ha, yes sirree bob, Lynne is going to be hooked.!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think all the good reasons have already been mentioned, but I am going to be a bit repetitious now.

I love colour, tone, saturation. All the different shades and "vibes". I love phenomenal stones, from cat''s eye to colour change and tenebrescence. I love interesting inclusions, like good schiller and perfect crystals embedded in other materials (confession: I will kill for a diamond with a perfec garnet crystal right under the table). I love sparkly stones, adulerescent stones, dychroic stones and the soft glow of a silky stone.

I love how adventerous the top cutters are: interesting shapes, interesting efects (such as the frosted star stones and swirling cuts) and carved gems (John Dyer and Munsteiner, for example).

I love how hard it is to describe a stone and how it must be analyzed individually (even the cut depends on the material, saturation and even shape).

I love how sometimes a good native cut is able to maximize colour in a away that precision cut sometimes can''t.

I love all the rare stones beyond the "big 3". I love the "big 3" as well, after seeing very good sapphires and rubies.

I love understanding the particulars of a specific stone type and how to deal with it.

And, of course, I love this (come on, everyone, for a thread trying to lure Lynn to te coloured side, there is away too little eyecandy here!)

0501gp14.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is easy to answer.

Coloured gemstones just "get" to you - like TGal''s new ring did for you?

However, it can be a slow burn. You find yourself drawn to one colour and then you find another colour you like and then ............... ooops you own a collection!

Oh, BTW? Don''t look at coloured diamonds!
31.gif

LittleLovely

Rough_Rock

For me, colored stones have so much more personality than colorless stones. With all the variations of color, size, and fantastic cuts--the possibilities are endless!

And since Lady Disdain is absolutely right, here''s more eyecandy!

Pink Tourmaline (from a matched pair of Jeff White''s) about 1 ct, 4.8 x 7.1 mm.
(Sorry if the size of the picture is off...I haven''t figured out how to upload the pics at the right size yet.)

Attachments

• kdkdkd.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 115

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has made some wonderful points!

A large part of what I love about colored stones (aside from their yummy colors) is the hunt! Finding the perfect stone is much, much more complicated than finding the perfect diamond.

I hope you consider yourself corrupted, Lynn
9.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 4:02:10 PM
Author: TheDoctor
The reason it''s hard to find nice sapphires in mall stores is that nearly the entire industry is highly focused on selling diamonds, to the near exclusion of everything else.

Rarity is a real factor with sapphires. Nice sapphires are much, much rarer than diamonds.

Here, we complimented a beautiful 2 carat cushion with a halo of small diamonds and smalls set into the shank as well. Combinations of strong colour for eye-pleasing appeal.

Thankyou for posting this..
I am trying to decide at the moment whether to set my upcoming blue sapphire in all white metal or two tone, and you see so little premium jewellery in two tone with sapphs.
I like what you''ve done here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results