shape
carat
color
clarity

OK, cat owners... can we discuss shedding and hairballs?!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK, I am here to tell you that the FURMINATOR is one amazing tool! I ordered it from Amazon.com (it was $18.99 but qualified towards free shipping... and it''s never hard to find $25 worth of stuff on Amazon.com!) Anyway, I digress. The Furminator is AWESOME and I am a card-carrying FAN!

It really does work like no comb or brush, EVER! It truly is amazing! It got SO MUCH hair off of Buster, hair we have NEVER been able to get before. My friends saw it, and they want one, too, but right now it''s $24.99 on Amazon.com and we really can''t find it any cheaper anywhere else (once you factor in shipping, etc.) SOOO, I want to get a couple more, but I''ll be watching Amazon.com for a better price.

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that that baby WORKS! Oh yeah!!!
36.gif

BTW, here''s a link to several video clips showing it *in action*:
http://www.furminator.com/photosDemos.cfm

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Funny enough. My cat threw up his 3 rd hairball this week and I was like "ok. time to do something serious about this" in true PS style, I was like, "oh PS was have a wealth of information. And there you go." FURMINATOR. What a cute name, I''m off to amazon to look it up.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Ok I'm getting a Furminator.

Jordan is a 12 yo Persian indoor cat. He developed bad hairball problems a few years ago. It was miserable and heartbreaking b/c he was polite enough to skulk into the litter box closet to start cakking. We tried remedies but he's an old cat with traditional values and wasn't jiggy with 'non-routine' meds. What a fight. What finally worked was switching him to Purina One Hairball & Healthy Weight formula. We snuck it up on him Tom-Sawyer and the Fence style ('Check it out - fun new food!'). Mission accomplished. He still has the occasional urp but nothing like the spastic cakfest it was for several months.

We have a weekly Sunday grooming and I could build a new cat out of the pile of sparehair. This is followed by vacuuming of the house. It's not a bad problem but future archaeologists will know cats lived here. My advice is to switch filters on your AC intake every month if you're blessed with a sheddy pet... Come on Furminator!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 2:56:33 PM
Author: JohnQuixote
Ok I''m getting a Furminator.

Jordan is a 12 yo Persian indoor cat. He developed bad hairball problems a few years ago. It was miserable and heartbreaking b/c he was polite enough to skulk into the litter box closet to start cakking. We tried remedies but he''s an old cat with traditional values and wasn''t jiggy with ''non-routine'' meds. What a fight. What finally worked was switching him to Purina One Hairball & Healthy Weight formula. We snuck it up on him Tom-Sawyer and the Fence style (''Check it out - fun new food!''). Mission accomplished. He still has the occasional urp but nothing like the spastic cakfest it was for several months.

We have a weekly Sunday grooming and I could build a new cat out of the pile of sparehair. This is followed by vacuuming of the house. It''s not a bad problem but future archaeologists will know cats lived here. My advice is to switch filters on your AC intake every month if you''re blessed with a sheddy pet... Come on Furminator!
HAHA John,

Your post had me LOL!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Jordan sounds like such a SWEETHEART! Where''s a PIC, Dad???!
2.gif

Yeah, I am totally *SOLD* on The FURminator... it''s downright amazing, IMHO. It gets the hairs that brushing or combing just DOESN''T. Please let us know what you think.

Question about your Persian... do you have trouble with his fur matting? We have friends with long-haired cats (not Persians, just Heinz 57, but gorgeous, gorgeous cats) and those poor cats MAT like crazy... dreadful mats, the size of GOLF BALLS!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Do you have any suggestions for them? They say they can brush them smooth on Thursday and find a huge mat on Friday. Thank goodness I don''t know much about mats... Buster is a shorthair and Boo is a Ragdoll, and his bunny fur doesn''t mat!
36.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lynn for the Furminator recommendation. Bought one 2 weekends ago. First time I used it I was blown away by the amount of hair from both the long hair & the short hair. I had tumbleweed sized balls of cat fur rolling around the yard. Matata looks 10 pounds thinner. His usual tolerance for brushing is about 45 seconds but for some reason he loves the "F" and stays put until my arm gets tired.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 4:36:24 PM
Author: Lynn B

HAHA John,

Your post had me LOL!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Jordan sounds like such a SWEETHEART! Where's a PIC, Dad???!
2.gif

Question about your Persian... do you have trouble with his fur matting? We have friends with long-haired cats (not Persians, just Heinz 57, but gorgeous, gorgeous cats) and those poor cats MAT like crazy... dreadful mats, the size of GOLF BALLS!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Do you have any suggestions for them? They say they can brush them smooth on Thursday and find a huge mat on Friday. Thank goodness I don't know much about mats... Buster is a shorthair and Boo is a Ragdoll, and his bunny fur doesn't mat!
36.gif
Oh my gosh yes. I almost changed his name to Matt (rim shot). You can find them anytime, even the day after brushing. This may sound awful but when I run across one I just pull it right out. He mans up and doesn't seem to mind but Angela will put a stop to it and hand me the brush... I chalk it up to the cost of owning a longhair.

Here's your pic. He likes to nap in the nice cool sink... We plebians must beg to wash our hands.

JordanSink.jpg

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 10:29:17 PM

HAHA John,

Your post had me LOL!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
2.gif

23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Do you have any suggestions for them? They say they can brush them smooth on Thursday and find a huge mat on Friday. Thank goodness I don''t know much about mats... Buster is a shorthair and Boo is a Ragdoll, and his bunny fur doesn''t mat!
36.gif
Oh my gosh yes. I almost changed his name to Matt (rim shot). You can find them anytime, even the day after brushing. This may sound awful but when I run across one I just pull it right out. He mans up and doesn''t seem to mind but Angela will put a stop to it and hand me the brush... I chalk it up to the cost of owning a longhair.

Here''s your pic. He likes to nap in the nice cool sink... We plebians must beg to wash our hands.
Great picture!
I have a white Himalayan and I pull her "knots" out, too-I can''t resisit. I pull them apart and she seems to love it. I have to have her shaved at the beginning of every summer by the vet groomer (all but legs, tail, and head) or else she''d be a big ole rat''s nest all the time.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock

Oh my gosh yes. I almost changed his name to Matt (rim shot). You can find them anytime, even the day after brushing. This may sound awful but when I run across one I just pull it right out. He mans up and doesn't seem to mind but Angela will put a stop to it and hand me the brush... I chalk it up to the cost of owning a longhair.
OH, John -- he's GORGEOUS! I just wanna *smoooosh!* him! He's so shiny and healthy-looking. Beautiful, beautiful cat! Was he yours in your bachelor days -- or did he come with Angela?!!
2.gif

WOW, that matting problem sounds dreadful. I don't think you could just *pull out* a mat from my friends' cats... I am not kidding you, some of them are the size of GOLFBALLS. I don't think any cat could man up to THAT!!!
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

When I was researching breeds, I kept reading about the "non-matting fur" of Ragdolls... and I was honestly just not that impressed by that... in my naiveté, I thought, "Yeah, so what's the big deal with that? What's a little mat among friends?!" WHOA, *opinion change!* NOW I am a walking billboard for "Ragdolls DON'T MAT!"
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

BTW, here's a picture of my darling little "non-matter"!
30.gif

BabyBoo_8a.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thankfully, my Birman doesn''t matt either.

LazyButt.JPG

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oh John! What a beautiful cat!!!

Lynn, Boo is so cute! Just a warning about fur matting. Leo''s fur mats in his armpits of all places. Not very often, but he gets one from time to time. He has a TON of hair, though. I knew it was a hairy breed, but, his face is starting to look tiny compared to all of his fur.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Chrono,
Beautiful cat!!! How old is he (she?) and how much does s/he weigh?

Miranda,
Thanks for the head's up on possible armpit matting - I'll keep a VERY CLOSE eye on those areas! We are (hopefully) a NO-MAT ZONE! haha!

I *think* I know what you mean about their heads looking smaller as their bodies get BIGGER!!! Boo is already over 6 pounds, and he's just 5 months old! SO FAR, his head still looks *OK!!!*, though!
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn,
My Birman was close to 12 lbs at her peak, came down to skin and bones at 7lbs (due to kidney problem, which was rectified by dietary changes and being closely watched now), and is now at about 9 lbs as pictured. She''s a grand dame at 13 years old. In her winter fur, she has a huge ruff around her neck like a lion. She''s great with very young children too - doesn''t mind the tail pulling from my baby.

Wow, this is the first I''m reading about matting in the armpit area.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG such adorable pictures!!! John - what a GORGEOUS regal kitty...I don''t think we''ve seen him before? Thanks for sharing (and I''m with Lynn - he looks extremely smooshable!
30.gif
30.gif
)

What a beautiful Birman - I LOVE the colors
9.gif
30.gif
9.gif

Lynn - I can''t get over how fast Boo is growing (LOVE the avatar BTW - so cute!!)
36.gif
36.gif
Definitely keep an eye on the armpits - Oliver got armpit tufts just a couple of months ago (he''s a year now) - they are so funny, and super cute. But like Miranda''s Leo, his seem to be the only place he ever gets close to matting - so far nothing serious, just an occasional very minor thing that looks like the beginning of a mat, but so far we''ve had no problem brushing them right out. That''s too funny about Leo''s head Miranda - we''ve made fun of Ollie for months because his head has been the last thing to grow but everything else just ballooned - he''s a giant fluffy monster now, but his head still looks like a kitten''s!!
3.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Amber,

THANKS, and yes, Boo IS growing like a WEED! I am sooo in love with him. I think he looks a little French
2.gif
and maybe a little cross-eyed in the avatar, but he's neither! haha!

He's sleeping right beside me on the sofa right now, looking like an angel (and making sweet little sucking noises!!!
1.gif
). I do so miss *living with* Mr. Buster
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
but DD and DSIL are SOOOO happy and HE (Buster) seems so happy, too... plus we see him a LOT... but still... no more midnight purr-fests from him...
15.gif
and oh, I really miss that. But little Boo is giving me lots of snuggles, so that's nice!

And I will DEFINITELY keep an eye on his little furry armpits! [[[NO MATS ALLOWED!]]]
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want to smoosh all these babies!!! So cute!!! *bonk*bonk*bonk*

Chrono, what a gorgeous birman. In my fantasy world I''d like to own one someday. She''s got gorgeous coloring - I''ve only seen pictures of the pointed kind. I''m secretly in love with pointed kitties and want one someday. In the far, far future.
2.gif
I''ve already got more than I can handle at the moment.

I''m glad the furminator is working for you Lynn! The amount of undercoat that thing is supposed to get rid of is incredible. I was disappointed it didn''t work for me. But I do brush Chloe almost daily and she''s not a longhair, so maybe that''s why.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Lynn - your baby raggie is so cute! I love seal bi-color's, though all kittens are cute!

Chrono - if I were to get a 2nd cat, I am thinking of a Birman. I hear they are much like raggies, but they have a different shape to them.

This is my raggie, she does not matt, but definitely shed. I swear by Temptations cat treats, they make a hairball formula, which I think works well in combination with brushing.

Omie.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
John, the look on your cat''s face is hilarious. He. is. awesome.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Omieluv,
Is there a thread somewhere about your Raggie???! Must. Have. More. Pics. And. Information. PLEASE!
36.gif

Boo LOVES the Cat-Lax hairball remedy stuff in the tubes... YAY! He licks it off my finger and thinks it''s a TREAT! I am *SOOOOOOOOO* happy about that! My other love (my first cat, Buster) HAAAATED the stuff... I finally just had to give up!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2007 10:47:26 PM
Author: justjulia

HAHA John,

Your post had me LOL!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
2.gif

23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
36.gif
Oh my gosh yes. I almost changed his name to Matt (rim shot). You can find them anytime, even the day after brushing. This may sound awful but when I run across one I just pull it right out. He mans up and doesn''t seem to mind but Angela will put a stop to it and hand me the brush... I chalk it up to the cost of owning a longhair.

Here''s your pic. He likes to nap in the nice cool sink... We plebians must beg to wash our hands.
Great picture!
I have a white Himalayan and I pull her ''knots'' out, too-I can''t resisit. I pull them apart and she seems to love it. I have to have her shaved at the beginning of every summer by the vet groomer (all but legs, tail, and head) or else she''d be a big ole rat''s nest all the time.
I have a white Himalyayan too!! I have to get him shaved, usually twice a year into a lion cut. He just can''t keep up with all the grooming, so I think he likes the help.

I do have the groomer furminate my dog though. I don''t want the job of furminating myself, because I''ve heard there is a lot of hair afterwards. I''d rather let the groomer deal with it.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Aww...Lynn...that''s so sad that you miss Buster! Ollie is big on the midnight (and 2am, and 3am, and 5am, and any other time I''m awake during the night...) snuggle-fest. Its very cute, and endearing, but not so great for the sleep...
3.gif
20.gif
Even when I''m not awake to snuggle with, his favorite place to sleep is on my pillow, along the top above my head. of course, he''s getting so big my head is getting crowded off the pillow...Here''s a more recent picture of my handsome boy, to give an idea of what you''re in for size-wise - keeping in mind he has at least another 18 months or so of growing, possibly longer!!
23.gif

Omie - definitely need more pics, I think I remember your kitty from the cats'' pictures thread, but we really need a Ragdolls thread to get all these cute pictures in one place.
36.gif

Miranda - we really need some updated pictures of Mr. Leo!!!

FG - I''m in love with pointed kitties too. Oliver is our first, but I think I''m addicted hehe
3.gif

Ollieonbench20071.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG AG he is HUGE looking!! Shows you what some fur can do.
5.gif
Look. at. those. back. feet. tufts. Can''t take it!!!!
30.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 6:10:41 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Aww...Lynn...that's so sad that you miss Buster! Ollie is big on the midnight (and 2am, and 3am, and 5am, and any other time I'm awake during the night...) snuggle-fest. Its very cute, and endearing, but not so great for the sleep...
3.gif
20.gif
Even when I'm not awake to snuggle with, his favorite place to sleep is on my pillow, along the top above my head. of course, he's getting so big my head is getting crowded off the pillow...Here's a more recent picture of my handsome boy, to give an idea of what you're in for size-wise - keeping in mind he has at least another 18 months or so of growing, possibly longer!!
23.gif

Omie - definitely need more pics, I think I remember your kitty from the cats' pictures thread, but we really need a Ragdolls thread to get all these cute pictures in one place.
36.gif

Miranda - we really need some updated pictures of Mr. Leo!!!

FG - I'm in love with pointed kitties too. Oliver is our first, but I think I'm addicted hehe
3.gif
Your baby is so adorable, I just love those seal bi-color raggies!! I have a TON of pictures of Omie, but I am not sure how to attach multiple pictures to this forum yet. Someone should start a raggie thread, that would be a great idea.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Here is one of my favorite Omie pictures...

Omie Gaze.jpg

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
30.gif

Date: 7/2/2007 6:17:40 PM
Author: omieluv

Your baby is so adorable, I just love those seal bi-color raggies!! I have a TON of pictures of Omie, but I am not sure how to attach multiple pictures to this forum yet. Someone should start a raggie thread, that would be a great idea.
OK, OK!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif
I agree... and as soon as I get a chance (later today or tomorrow), I will make one. So proud Raggie owners... start your cameras!!!
36.gif

BTW, AG and OL -- thank you for the additional photos of Omie and Oliver -- oh what BEAUTIFUL kitties!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Looking forward to (many) more of them on our soon-to-be Raggie thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results