shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh no! Another Ebay Diamond! Newbie needs help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:42:37 PM
Author: freddy2005
can''t believe you people are actually wasting your time replying to someone who has complete disregard to quality and expert opinions.

give it up guys, he doesn''t care what you people think..he already has his mind set.
Please dont take away my help!
and dont take this personal... I am looking for help

This is a forum for information not a chance to personally knock someone freddy

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:43:58 PM
Author: aphisiglovessae

Date: 3/1/2006 1:41:03 PM
Author: coda72
I personally wouldn''t buy anything lower than an H for a fancy cut stone, but that''s just me. I would rather take the chance on Bluenile''s stone than buying the ring from Diamonds by Lauren. I personally would never buy anything from Diamonds by Lauren, but that''s also just me.
Have you been burned by them or something? I always thought they had a pretty good reputation.
I have never bought anything from them, but I don''t think they sell good quality stones. There''s always something off about their stuff. Also, I don''t want this to be construed as a personal attack on David, but he and I had many words on here, and he always came off as very condescending to consumers.

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Ok Ok.
Its dead... PROMISE

Thank you all for your time and recommendations.
I would appreciate if some would stay and help me thru the rest of this process
Idealscope pictures, stuff like that.

For those who feel I have wasted your time, Im truly sorry and go on with your day!

I will look into diamonds by lauren and other PS recommended web vendors.

Matt

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Actually, I''ve gotten 2 beautiful diamonds on eBay, BUT, i was VERY careful. I met with the sellers in person to inspect the stones first. They were both selling rings from failed engagements. I didn''t care.

1) They both had GIA reports, and both diamonds have laser inscriptions.
2) I brought along a loupe, a diamond tester, and met up with the person at a public place with a bunch of my friends. Luckily for me, a friend''s uncle collects diamonds, so he came along as well. I matched up both diamonds with the plots on the GIA report.
3) Then, I took it to a local jeweler with the seller to make sure that there are no nicks or scratches or chips, and that it is indeed the diamond on the report.
4) I would not buy one if it required shipping in any way. Too risky.

My awesome finds:

.90ct E VVS2 Marquise
Awesome cut (can''t remember specs right now, GIA report at home), great spread, almost no bowtie
.68ct platinum mount
$2100 (i was ecstatic with this one. deal of the century!)

.43ct D VS2 Round Brilliant
57% table
61.3% depth
Med girdle
3 stone 14kt WG mount w/ .40ctw rubies
$700 (not as good of a deal, but i loved the diamond and the rubies, and it was exactly what i wanted so it was still a great deal)

As you can see, you *can* find good deals. You just have to be smart about it, and careful as heck!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 1:20:43 PM
Author: Ianmac

I know that CUT is the most important thing, I also know that there is NO way to distinguish cut based on any cert or online.

Well, there''s AGS< and stuff like the IS and ASET pictures and various cut grading systems that do that.

And even if there wasn''t anything, at least return policies help get some diamonds off the Net and into the real world where they can be evaluated.

So... nothing is perfect.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
xx

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 1:56:28 PM
Ok Ok.
Its dead... PROMISE

For those who feel I have wasted your time, Im truly sorry and go on with your day!

Matt

Matt,

I posted a couple of stones from Whiteflash on the previous page. It won't hurt to give them a call and ask them to pull pictures and idealscopes on the stones. Also, ask them what they think about the quality...they don't lie. They'll let you know if it's a great stone or not!

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2267153.htm (.84 H, VS1)
http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2267105.htm (.81 H, VS1)

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 2:02:12 PM
Author: EBree

Ok Ok.
Its dead... PROMISE

Matt

Matt,

I posted a couple of stones from Whiteflash on the previous page. It won''t hurt to give them a call and ask them to pull pictures and idealscopes on the stones. Also, ask them what they think about the quality...they don''t lie. They''ll let you know if it''s a great stone or not!

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2267153.htm (.84 H, VS1)

http://www.whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-2267105.htm (.81 H, VS1)
I love the stones... great prices, just what I am looking for!
The band however seems a bit pricy to me:
http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Diamond-Settings/Tiffany-Style-Solitaire-with-Baguettes_619.htm

Is there an option of getting a loose stone and buying the band elsewhere?

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
IanMac, if you want help finding a nice diamond, please start a new thread in Rocky Talky without any mention of Ebay and let this one die.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 2:11:42 PM
This setting I posted earlier from Blue Nile is only $1075.00 in platinum. When you call WF, let them know you''d be sending them your own setting. See what they say. I was under the impression that they''d set one of their diamonds in another setting, but you might want to check just to be sure.

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4524&nav1=engagement_segment.asp&page=1&col=2&row=1&pos=2&set_shape
I may be wrong, but I don''t think Bluenile will sell just a setting. You have to buy the diamond from them also.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Ok Ok.
Its dead... PROMISE

Matt
He just said he is not buying the Ebay stone. I hope he can find a great stone through the people here who are knowledgeable.
As to Blue Nile, if I am not mistaken, you have to buy the stone and then send it out for appraisal whereas many of the Pricescope vendors will let you have it sent to an appraiser where you can see it before you pay. If you do not like the stone, the appraiser will send it back to the vendor fro a small fee plus the appraisal cost.
I know Whiteflash does this and also gives you full cost toward an upgrade . I do not know anything about the policy of Diamonds by Lauren but they do seem to have very interesting stones and the Princess Mara picked is very pretty.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 2:13:31 PM

Date: 3/1/2006 2:11:42 PM
This setting I posted earlier from Blue Nile is only $1075.00 in platinum. When you call WF, let them know you'd be sending them your own setting. See what they say. I was under the impression that they'd set one of their diamonds in another setting, but you might want to check just to be sure.

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4524&nav1=engagement_segment.asp&page=1&col=2&row=1&pos=2&set_shape
I may be wrong, but I don't think Bluenile will sell just a setting. You have to buy the diamond from them also.
XChick03 just bought a setting from BlueNile and had her jeweler set one of his diamonds into it. I wasn't aware they'd sell JUST the settings, but apparently they do!

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Platinum pricing is fluctuating so I''ve noticed many platinum settings are high right now. I actually have a band similar to what you are looking for an paid just about as much as what WF is asking. You may be able to find something cheaper if you look but the baguette quality may not be very good. It just depends.

Glad you got rid of the ebay saga...I''ve only bought from Ebay once and long story short the seller had 100% feedback rating and I still got shafted. My only saving grace was paying with Amex through paypal. I got all the money back through Amex with all of the info/documentation I kept. And it was only a toy that I bought too lol

These people here are extremely friendly and helpful. They will guide you in the right direction and the vendors seem to all be very nice. I''m working with Wink right now (Winfields) and he''s been honest and helpful too. I don''t think you can go wrong with all of this help and the recommended vendors. You''ll be able to get what you want within your budget if you are patient enough.
Good luck!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 1:43:58 PM
Author: aphisiglovessae

Date: 3/1/2006 1:41:03 PM
I personally wouldn''t buy anything lower than an H for a fancy cut stone, but that''s just me. I would rather take the chance on Bluenile''s stone than buying the ring from Diamonds by Lauren. I personally would never buy anything from Diamonds by Lauren, but that''s also just me.
Have you been burned by them or something? I always thought they had a pretty good reputation.
Ian.........DBL probably has a good reputation and David probably sells quality......BUT I would personally NEVER buy from him. David, if you''re reading, this is where treating people badly PAYS off. He is rude and condescending to anyone who does not agree with him. There are far too many other vendors who are nicer and will never try to make you feel bad. If I were you, I''d contact the good people at Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Winfields, just to name a few. Tell them what you''re looking for, what your budget is and let them guide you to a really nice purchase.

At this point, if you even remotely would consider that Ebay deal, you''d deserve whatever poor quality that ring likely is. Deals that seem to good to be true are almost always too good to be true. Just read the saga of PRC and her fiance and the too good to be true deal they didn''t get from an ebay seller.

Good Luck.........

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
I''m new around here, so I dunno. But has anybody ever told anybody it is a good idea to buy a diamond off ebay? I can''t imagine somebody on here would. Pricescope and ebay are on complete opposite ends of the diamond buying specturm.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
if this guy David sells on EBAY and is who I am thinking of then I can agree he lacks class. You have to see the way he words things in his listing and his feedback. This person was raised by wolves...

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2006 2:58:21 PM
Author: atroop711
if this guy David sells on EBAY and is who I am thinking of then I can agree he lacks class. You have to see the way he words things in his listing and his feedback. This person was raised by wolves...
Me thinks you are being too kind about the fine gentleman.............
29.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 2:58:21 PM
Author: atroop711

Guys, as a moderator I have to ask you to refrain from personal attack of anybody on the forum as well as stay away from inflammatory statements.

Please keep the conversation civil.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 3:52:49 PM
Author: klavigne
http://www.bluenile.com/design.asp?add=1&filter_id=1&view_override=&piderror=&set_shape=PR&style=4524

Check out this link. It''s probable really close to what your looking for! But personally I wouldn''t buy any princess cuts. A few friends of mine have had the corners chip. My 2c.
Its my understanding, that has to do with the girdle.
Most decent diamonds on bluenile in my price range show a very thin to medium girdle.
thats not what I want is it???

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Yes and No! If the girdle is really thin then it could chip any where around the perimeter. But most princess cut stones tend to chip at the corners. Mostly because of the sharp 90 angle and the taper of the pavilion.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Ok... torn between this from dirtcheapdiamonds:
Item No. 7049330 $2,379
1.000 H-SI3 Princess Diamond
74.5% Depth | 70% Table | VG Polish | GD Sym | N Culet

Ring Wish List

Item No. 61263 Platinum: $899
Ring Size: 6.25

Engagement Rings with SideStones
.16cttw Tapered Baguette - This beautiful tapered baguette diamond engagement band is one of the most popular settings in history. 1/4cttw Matching wedding band sold seperately for 14kt Gold: $449.00, Platinum: $599.00.

Or this from Bluenile.com
http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00393992
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4524&filter_id=1
Right around the same price..
Little bigger from DCD
Let me know!

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
The DCD one is an SI3 which translates to an I1. The inclusion is very much probably noticeable to the eye. I think only a handful of people on PS have an eyeclean I1. (I''m also a little more picky on clarity than most). Make sure you get DCD to check the inclusion out.

The BlueNile one is a bit overkill for me. You pay much more for the VVS clarity. My personal sweet spot is an H SI (eyeclean with 10x from the sides and top).

Keep in mind that fancies such as princess cuts will show more color, they don''t mask color as well as RBs.

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 5:41:13 PM
Author: Princess V
The DCD one is an SI3 which translates to an I1. The inclusion is very much probably noticeable to the eye. I think only a handful of people on PS have an eyeclean I1. (I''m also a little more picky on clarity than most). Make sure you get DCD to check the inclusion out.

The BlueNile one is a bit overkill for me. You pay much more for the VVS clarity. My personal sweet spot is an H SI (eyeclean with 10x from the sides and top).

Keep in mind that fancies such as princess cuts will show more color, they don''t mask color as well as RBs.
You say you pay MUCH more for VVS clarity
but that price of that stone is only 2200

Thanks for pointing out that SI3 is I1
Matt

klavigne

Shiny_Rock

Don''t buy an SI3 unless you can actually look at in person. All the ones I''ve ever looked at had lots of flaws. As long as they aren''t on the table then it might be okay for you. I''d personally drop down from the "magic" one carat mark and look for something in .8-.95 area and bump up the clarity to an SI1. The size difference would be negligible to 90% of the people out there.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2006 5:49:09 PM

Date: 3/1/2006 5:41:13 PM
Author: Princess V

You say you pay MUCH more for VVS clarity
but that price of that stone is only 2200

Thanks for pointing out that SI3 is I1
Matt
Sorry Matt I should have clarified. I meant that instead of going for a J VVS, maybe you could up the color and drop down in clarity for the same price.
1.gif

Ianmac

Rough_Rock
Talked to Sam down at Blue Nile
he said that the diamonds they have are NOT priced by value
but by how much they purchased them for.
So you cant just up the color and drop the clarity, it doesnt work that way?

I dont know, it makes sense I guess.

Anyways, he said that was a GREAT price for that stone, and anything in a better color would jump about 700 dollars.

Ill just keep looking!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results