shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC report results are back... Help!!!! Calling all OEC fans

Phanie

Shiny_Rock
Just got the results from the OEC I am coveting. :love:
It will be my first big diamond purchase and I do not want to mess it up.
Here are the numbers by AGS.
2.33ct color N
8.26x8.44x5.24 mm
depth:62.8%
table:50.6%
crown angle:35.7
Pavilion angle:42.7
Pavilion Depth: 42.1
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very good
Very large culet
fluoro negligible.

When I put the numbers in the HCA 5.4 comes back which bummed me a LOT. :confused: :o ;( ;( ;( ;(
This little guy looks amazing. I am at a loss right now because I really fell in love with it and the setting I want to set it in already has a stone that grades better on the HCA (2.2 I believe) but does not look as good to my eyes.
I love the culet (very large is great to me)
Can someone help me? Explain why such a low number on HCA?
I am dying here
Misskittycat?
Advice?

ming

Shiny_Rock
Re: OEC report results are back... Help!!!! Calling all OEC

Someone with a lot more OEC experience will respond but I've also been looking for an OEC for a few months and it's my understanding the HCA doesn't work on the old cuts so you can't use it as a limiting factor.

I think you were looking at the LAD cape diamond which is a beautiful stone and caught my attention (although I wasn't sure about the color for myself). Have you seen it in person? Seems like a great stone at a great price.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

Hi Phanie, now I'm no expert but I am a lover of old cuts and recently bought my first. I'm sure others will be along to advise as well, but as far as I am aware the HCA tool is only for modern rounds and it is meaningless for old cuts. There is a chart somewhere for proportions on OECs, I'll have a dig about but you can't really go by numbers.

I believe most like a small table ie less than 50% (although mine is 50% and I think it's gorgeous :love: ) and depth is fine up to around 68% as a general rule (but there are always exceptions). The important thing is the facet pattern and how attractive that is, is the stone bright and lively - do all the facets perform (you want to avoid a dead centre)? Check it in different lighting. I've heard finding the right OEC is like finding a partner, you need to find the diamond that speaks to you and that you fall in love with.

Why don't you post some close up macro photos and the experts can take a look for you, but if you love it that's what matters most :))

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock

Just saw ming's reply - if it's the cape diamond from Erica it's stunning :love:

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

HCA is not used for OEC diamonds. You can't go by the numbers on old cut stones and it needs to be evaluated with your eyes. Post pics of the stones and the old cut experts can help you evaluate the cut. I agree if it's the stone from LAD sneak peek I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

Ok ladies.
I am reassured. Though give me your advice too on the pics and video please.
Yes it is the cape from LAD.
The second I laid eyes on this puppy I fell in love and it just speaks to me .
I saw it many times in real life (the joy of being near LAD is I can see her stuff on a whim just a phone call and a 30 minutes drive away! :appl: :appl: :appl: ).
E. showed me bigger diamonds but my heart was pulled back to this gorgeous cape( which is just a N color guy! and honestly faces up almost as light as the K that is in the setting that will be used! just more personality to me .)
And yes it is pending officially for me for quite a while (I had to the minute hubby said yes!)
so here for your pleasure some pics and a video.
http://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Client-Folders/Pics-for-Stephanie#!/

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am not one of the resident experts, but I did find the OEC 'guide' I saved from some thread last November, hope this helps!

I did see that cape stone on her sneak peak, & it was phenomenal! :love: :love:

I don't know what 'cape' means in this context, though. Could you share if you know?!? Many thanks! :wavey:

_19294.jpg

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

Thanks for the table, sarahb!
I have it somewhere, could not find it.
"My" puppy rates in the column 1-2/excellent to very good range for all but girdle thickness (thin to thick is ~3) which is quite better to me than ex. thin.

Ming I have seen it IRL, it is even more amazing than the pics! Not as dark colored as the pics.

Agnasia table is right were I like them to be (a bit bigger would have been OK but not smaller for me), the facets play well in the sun and inside, on bright sunny day or overcast one too (we do have those in Seattle!)

Cape means end of the alphabet color (term used before ther were grading or when you don't know the color for sure but the diamond is not colorless, thanks Erica!) but it came back as a N (OK from AGS but I am confident it is a N).
Why I love my puppy.
-Facet pattern is AMAZING, really spot on flower pattern and symmetry, lovely play with light and pastel color return is great.
-Humonguous culet bam I fell in love.
-Symmetry almost like an AVR or VCR( I am sure his ASET is pretty good and that GOG met with my guy when looking into making ideal cut modern vintage cut round!)
-Very nice fire/scintillation/brilliance in the sun (I think). Faces up quite white cream light lace to me, to be more descriptive the color of creme fraiche for the French people out there!
-No visible inclusion on table (or anywhere else for that matter on a 10x loupe and naked eye!)
-Color , just enough so it has personnality ( I don't like white colorless diamonds ie in my ering side stones are white and meh, my center is an OMC most likely L in color but has fluoro so faces up whiter), love its color. Erica's pics show him much darker than he is.
-spread, 8.26~8.44mm for 2.335 ct, nice. He is right on target of my size requierements big but not too big, also it will fit this gorgeous setting that both my hubby and I (I would not have guessed so for both of us!) fell in love too.

It is amazing, but I am just second guessing myself because I am about to spent a good chunk of money on a ring and have Erica reset the diamond for us and I just want to be sure he is my little guy.
BTW, Erica is amazing.

ming

Shiny_Rock

Seriously, it's lovely. And you've had the chance to admire it in person. If you like the color why would you not jump on it?!?!

How are you going to set it?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

Phanie|1403117543|3695875 said:
Just got the results from the OEC I am coveting. :love:
It will be my first big diamond purchase and I do not want to mess it up.
Here are the numbers by AGS.
2.33ct color N
8.26x8.44x5.24 mm
depth:62.8%
table:50.6%
crown angle:35.7
Pavilion angle:42.7
Pavilion Depth: 42.1
Girdle: Thin to Thick
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Very good
Very large culet
fluoro negligible.

When I put the numbers in the HCA 5.4 comes back which bummed me a LOT. :confused: :o ;( ;( ;( ;(
This little guy looks amazing. I am at a loss right now because I really fell in love with it and the setting I want to set it in already has a stone that grades better on the HCA (2.2 I believe) but does not look as good to my eyes.
I love the culet (very large is great to me)
Can someone help me? Explain why such a low number on HCA?
I am dying here
Misskittycat?
Advice?

Do not be deterred! On paper, very few old cut stones would meet modern cut standards and preferences or what has become the "ideal". I can't tell you how many times (including just this week) when I received a cert dictating a poor quality old stone, only to discover a stunning stone. Many of the tools used today to evaluate old cuts simply don't work. I would love to see your stone, because I have a feeling its perfectly fine. If I had one comment about it, it would be to tell you its a deep stone and you're paying for that weight, but that is not at all atypical for an old euro. You're going to get great light reflection from it. I like that it has fluorescence as it will greatly diminish the warmth, I'm sure. Use your eyes as your guide, in varying light. Take video of the stone in movement. I usually ask a vendor to mount it so I can see its scale and performance, as close as possible to what I will be doing with it.

Good luck-- very exciting!

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

ming|1403127258|3696005 said:
Seriously, it's lovely. And you've had the chance to admire it in person. If you like the color why would you not jump on it?!?!

It will be set in this ring. We are swapping the stones hence why I was a bit nervous as once you reset , the ring becomes non returnable I believe.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-1-88ct-old-european-cut-diamond-edwardian-ring-gia-k-si1/

(OK I have no idea how to insert a pic!)

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

Phanie|1403128825|3696026 said:

It will be set in this ring. We are swapping the stones hence why I was a bit nervous as once you reset , the ring becomes non returnable I believe.
http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/on-hold-1-88ct-old-european-cut-diamond-edwardian-ring-gia-k-si1/

The sapphires in your setting are going to help the color even more so you chose the ideal setting. And now that I see the stone, I think you chose very well. And, you got a great deal!!!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Phanie|1403127070|3696002 said:
Thanks for the table, sarahb!
I have it somewhere, could not find it.
"My" puppy rates in the column 1-2/excellent to very good range for all but girdle thickness (thin to thick is ~3) which is quite better to me than ex. thin.

Ming I have seen it IRL, it is even more amazing than the pics! Not as dark colored as the pics.

Agnasia table is right were I like them to be (a bit bigger would have been OK but not smaller for me), the facets play well in the sun and inside, on bright sunny day or overcast one too (we do have those in Seattle!)

Cape means end of the alphabet color (term used before ther were grading or when you don't know the color for sure but the diamond is not colorless, thanks Erica!) but it came back as a N (OK from AGS but I am confident it is a N).
Why I love my puppy.
-Facet pattern is AMAZING, really spot on flower pattern and symmetry, lovely play with light and pastel color return is great.
-Humonguous culet bam I fell in love.
-Symmetry almost like an AVR or VCR( I am sure his ASET is pretty good and that GOG met with my guy when looking into making ideal cut modern vintage cut round!)
-Very nice fire/scintillation/brilliance in the sun (I think). Faces up quite white cream light lace to me, to be more descriptive the color of creme fraiche for the French people out there!
-No visible inclusion on table (or anywhere else for that matter on a 10x loupe and naked eye!)
-Color , just enough so it has personnality ( I don't like white colorless diamonds ie in my ering side stones are white and meh, my center is an OMC most likely L in color but has fluoro so faces up whiter), love its color. Erica's pics show him much darker than he is.
-spread, 8.26~8.44mm for 2.335 ct, nice. He is right on target of my size requierements big but not too big, also it will fit this gorgeous setting that both my hubby and I (I would not have guessed so for both of us!) fell in love too.

It is amazing, but I am just second guessing myself because I am about to spent a good chunk of money on a ring and have Erica reset the diamond for us and I just want to be sure he is my little guy.
BTW, Erica is amazing.

Phanie, great review!! You could write ad copy :)) ....& thanks for the cape definition!

I also love the looks of the AV line from GOG, & would love a cushion, my ering is a bright one (E), & if I was were so lucky to get an AVC, I'd like to go lower in color....sort of a brown/pinky hue? Don't even know if that is possible, have not inquired....

Your diamond looks wonderful, I can't wait to see it, & that setting is something!! :love: :appl:

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

RandG|1403129071|3696032 said:

The sapphires in your setting are going to help the color even more so you chose the ideal setting. And now that I see the stone, I think you chose very well. And, you got a great deal!!!

Ok, the stone in the picture in the setting is NOT the one I am getting.
Here is the STONE unset next to the setting. (ring set with a K, on E hand is my N ).
you can also see the stone on facebook under Love Affair Diamonds.
And yes, he is on hold and the setting too! So nope noboby is gonna snatched those from me!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock

Phanie|1403131362|3696059 said:

Here is the STONE unset next to the setting. (ring set with a K, on E hand is my N ).
And yes, he is on hold and the setting too! So nope noboby is gonna snatched those from me!

It will look great!

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

RandG|1403131500|3696063 said:
Phanie|1403131362|3696059 said:

It will look great!

Thanks.
I think I was freaking out a bit and second guessing loving ths stone. :bigsmile:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Previous posters are correct - no HCA on old stones. It was built for modern brilliants only. There are parameters for well performing OECs (which you have found) but for the most part its about what you see with your eyes. Your stone is lovely. I love the large culet and the facet pattern is spectacular. It's beautifully symmetrical. It looks lovely and bright. You scored really well with that one.

Regarding colour, different people see different things. I am not at all colour sensitive (unless you place different coloured stones next to each other and then I can see) but lower colours are just as pleasing to me as higher ones. They have their own personality. My L is beautifully white in many lights, vanilla in others, antique lace in some instances and pale yellow from the side in others. It's really about what you like and if you like what you see then it's all good. My next purchase will be an N-O OEC, hopefully!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

Your stone is spectacular. What's more, it really seems to have your heart, which is, I think, really important. I am shopping now, as well, and I have been following all the inventories of OEC's I can- your diamond is a standout beauty.

You of course need to be fully confident in your choice, so by all means sleep on it and go with your gut- but, as a long time admirer and new shopper for diamonds I truly think that is a beautiful one. More than the sum of its parts?

Gorgeous setting, as well!

Good luck with whatever you choose!

Phanie

Shiny_Rock

misskittycat|1403157656|3696349 said:
Previous posters are correct - no HCA on old stones. It was built for modern brilliants only. There are parameters for well performing OECs (which you have found) but for the most part its about what you see with your eyes. Your stone is lovely. I love the large culet and the facet pattern is spectacular. It's beautifully symmetrical. It looks lovely and bright. You scored really well with that one.

Regarding colour, different people see different things. I am not at all colour sensitive (unless you place different coloured stones next to each other and then I can see) but lower colours are just as pleasing to me as higher ones. They have their own personality. My L is beautifully white in many lights, vanilla in others, antique lace in some instances and pale yellow from the side in others. It's really about what you like and if you like what you see then it's all good. My next purchase will be an N-O OEC, hopefully!

Thanks, I love this stone too.
Color wise weirdly I prefer lower colered diamonds than white ones. My e ring is an OMC L color but strong fluoro (I think) that faces up super white. I love it becaus eit is an heirloom that my MIL whipped out of the linen closet out of the blue when my then BF and I were talking about getting a ring. We had no idea and I just fell in love with and you cannot beat free :cheeky: and family hand me down.
It is super wonky but so lovely and lively. I cannnot recall the number of time my collegues with bigger more modern stones would come up to me from a few rooms down (I am a RN) and ask me about my diamond, because its flashes of light and color caught them upom that far. So i have been a old cut stone convert for 15 years now. For this ring , I wanted an OEC and was always lured by L and lower, anything K and above would just be meh to me . Weird! Lucky me this way I can get a bigger better stone that I thought at first.
My first idea for a setting was the VC Emilya in rose gold but after seeing the LAD in IRL Ilike dit a lot. Erica is magic, she felt like bringing this ring and I could see her wheels turning when I was explaining tu hubby(the 2nd time I saw the stone) why this diamond was better to me than the one in the ring, and bam! she said she was pretty sure we could swap them.
I just hope it will look great in this setting and not look in its place.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results