shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Moissanite Project Ideas?

WaterMist

Rough_Rock
Hi fellow gem loving friends,

If you don't mind, I would love to hear some opinions on the two OEC moissanites that I have, and some project suggestions!

I have collected two loose OEC moissanites over a decade apart that have very different personalities. I am finally getting around to doing something with them.
I originally thought I would make a pair earrings out of them, but they are just different enough that perhaps a pendant necklace would be better?

OEC Moissanite #1:
  • 2013 Charles & Colvard Forever Classic OEC Moissanite (with certificate!)
  • 6.5mm
  • This was my first gem purchase back when moissanites were still relatively new. I didn't like the plasticky white look of the round brilliant moissanites of that era, and at the time much preferred the chunky fire of this untreated OEC. This stone is how I fell in love with OECs, and how I became a gem nerd.
OEC Moissanite #2:
  • 2021 Starsgem OEC GH White VVS
  • 7.0mm

OECM #1 has a relatively larger culet than OECM #2, it also has more color in certain lighting. When worn it's hard to notice the differences in cut, but via the close-up pictures, I can see the cut is a little different as well.

I think they are both very beautiful in their own way. I plan to set them in something that's 14K yellow gold, so the slight coloring difference doesn't matter much.

I hope to ask fellow members:
  • What else do you notice about the two OECs? Which one is more appealing? Which one would you keep? How does the cut and quality look to you?
  • Thoughts on what to do with them? What would bring out the best in these beauties?
  • Are they too mismatched for earrings?
  • If pendant, perhaps a bezel set?
  • Any recommended jewelers to work with on design? I don't mind snail mailing these off for a project!

Would love any and all ideas and feedback! Thank you <3

PXL_20240328_221248685.jpg PXL_20240328_221554419.jpg PXL_20240328_221707916.jpg PXL_20240328_221815783.jpg PXL_20240328_221906909.jpg

PXL_20240328_222023880.jpg PXL_20240328_222041417.jpg

Last edited:

WaterMist

Rough_Rock
It seems like from a top-down view, the 7mm shows clearer arrows, but under alot of spotlights and when viewed at an angle, the 6.5mm, shows more colorful facets, petals, and the "outer edge" of the gem is more clear and distinct...

So the 7mm faces up cleaner when viewed directly down the face, but on angles, the 6.5mm older C&C moissanite looks more... floral.

Stills from video:
Photo.png Photo.png

I would like to set this in a milgrain bezel style pendant necklace, and I'm thinking the one that looks better at angles (6.5 mm) is probably better?

Paisley2628

Brilliant_Rock
Hi fellow gem loving friends,

If you don't mind, I would love to hear some opinions on the two OEC moissanites that I have, and some project suggestions!

I have collected two loose OEC moissanites over a decade apart that have very different personalities. I am finally getting around to doing something with them.
I originally thought I would make a pair earrings out of them, but they are just different enough that perhaps a pendant necklace would be better?

OEC Moissanite #1:
  • 2013 Charles & Colvard Forever Classic OEC Moissanite (with certificate!)
  • 6.5mm
  • This was my first gem purchase back when moissanites were still relatively new. I didn't like the plasticky white look of the round brilliant moissanites of that era, and at the time much preferred the chunky fire of this untreated OEC. This stone is how I fell in love with OECs, and how I became a gem nerd.
OEC Moissanite #2:
  • 2021 Starsgem OEC GH White VVS
  • 7.0mm

OECM #1 has a relatively larger culet than OECM #2, it also has more color in certain lighting. When worn it's hard to notice the differences in cut, but via the close-up pictures, I can see the cut is a little different as well.

I think they are both very beautiful in their own way. I plan to set them in something that's 14K yellow gold, so the slight coloring difference doesn't matter much.

I hope to ask fellow members:
  • What else do you notice about the two OECs? Which one is more appealing? Which one would you keep? How does the cut and quality look to you?
  • Thoughts on what to do with them? What would bring out the best in these beauties?
  • Are they too mismatched for earrings?
  • If pendant, perhaps a bezel set?
  • Any recommended jewelers to work with on design? I don't mind snail mailing these off for a project!

Would love any and all ideas and feedback! Thank you <3

PXL_20240328_221248685.jpg PXL_20240328_221554419.jpg PXL_20240328_221707916.jpg PXL_20240328_221815783.jpg PXL_20240328_221906909.jpg

PXL_20240328_222023880.jpg PXL_20240328_222041417.jpg

Hi @WaterMist

Fun project for you!

I do not think these would be a good match for earrings-They are too different.

I suggest contacting David Klass. He is well respected and reasonable in price.
He will create a CAD design of whatever you want to create. Browse through his Instagram for ideas.

A bezel pendant necklace would be beautiful- A milgrain detail would also look nice with your OEC.

Good luck!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely problem! Buy another 6.5 and do a three stone ring? I think three different personalities would be great fun.

WaterMist

Rough_Rock
Thank you!
Any thoughts on the OECs themselves? I find them harder than RBs to evaluate on a technical scale - if there's light leakage for example. Are either of these outright bad OECs for example?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Not an expert but I think they're lovely stones, different but both very bright. I don't see a bad image. I think these old cuts make their own rules.
If you want a 3rd moissy, look at diamondrensu, Ankit has been cutting OECs (and everything else!) for quite a while.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the 7mm has a better overall cut. The other has some leakage in the center.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@WaterMist the 7mm looks to be more precision cut but there’s a certain charm to wonkier stones too :) the 6.5mm has a smaller table and more pronounced kizobe.

I personally wouldn’t set them as earrings as they are different. Are you envisaging a two-stone pendant? Alternatively, maybe you can set the 6.5mm as a pendant and the 7mm in a ring/bracelet (so that you can admire it yourself)?

I’m a huge fan of bezels but wanted to make you aware that old cuts may lose some scintillation in a bezel. Mine definitely doesn’t perform as well as it did when it was set in prongs, but I don’t mind giving up a bit of performance for the look and protection a bezel gives (this is the 3.48ct OEC in my cuff ring).

WaterMist

Rough_Rock
@WaterMist the 7mm looks to be more precision cut but there’s a certain charm to wonkier stones too :) the 6.5mm has a smaller table and more pronounced kizobe.

I personally wouldn’t set them as earrings as they are different. Are you envisaging a two-stone pendant? Alternatively, maybe you can set the 6.5mm as a pendant and the 7mm in a ring/bracelet (so that you can admire it yourself)?

I’m a huge fan of bezels but wanted to make you aware that old cuts may lose some scintillation in a bezel. Mine definitely doesn’t perform as well as it did when it was set in prongs, but I don’t mind giving up a bit of performance for the look and protection a bezel gives (this is the 3.48ct OEC in my cuff ring).

Thank you for the technical detail on the stones! I plan to only set one of the stones in a pendant, and sell the other one (if I can - not sure what the market looks like for OEC moissanites... I don't mind selling them cheaply and reasonably). That's really interesting to know on the loss of scintillationt.

Yes both stones have trade offs, I do like the kizobe effect on the 6.5mm and the flashier chunks of color, but I do see how there's light leakage in the middle, and how the 7mm is more precisely cut. It does give me pause and am wondering if I should just try to sell both stones. Perhaps wait and save for a nicer OEC LGD...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results