shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC from great grandmother

BLM_26

Rough_Rock
I posted a few pics of this in Rocky Talk but figured this is probably the better place to post since everyone that comes over here loves the older stones. The ring was my great-grandmothers, approximately 100 years old, and I recently got it from my grandpa, no one had any idea that he had the ring. The ring was appraised several years ago in the setting and the stone is approximated to weigh 3ct, clarity I-1 and color K. I intend to have it reset but otherwise leave it alone--no re-cutting or polishing. I think its pretty cool to have a part of family history like that.

photo.JPG

photo (2).JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That ring is SPECTACULAR! Wow - you are one lucky grand daughter! I love anything related to family history. I hope wearing it brings you the same joy it brought your great grandmother. Wishing you happiness with that stone (and WHAT A STONE that is!!) :love:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a lovely heirloom!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool! Wear it in good health! :D

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful heirloom! How much family history do you know about it and when it was acquired? I actually wouldn't classify it as an old european cut given the first picture, I would truly be shocked if it was 100 years old. I was thinking something closer to early round brilliant because the table is large, the length of the lower girdle facets, and there is little to no culet. Whatever you call it, it's a real treasure and I'm glad it's being dusted off and appreciated!

BLM_26

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear in my original post, but I'm one lucky grandson to get this ring. :twirl:

I intend on proposing in the next few months and when I brought it up to my Grandpa he said oh hold on a minute and out he came with this ring. I was shocked and my dad said he had no idea that he had the ring.

I really don't know too much about the ring other than it was my great-grandmothers. My great-grandparents actually divorced and then my great-grandfather remarried but my grandfather remained close to his mother for obvious reasons and got the ring after she passed. He is in his early 90s but was the oldest of the children. I am not positive when they were originally married but he was the one that came up with the 100 year old stone figure. I am pretty clueless on the older stones and just started search for Old European Diamonds because that is what the appraisal said it was and stumbled on this site. That is interesting that you think it might be an early round cut as opposed to an OEC.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Congrats for this adorable heirloom! Wear it in good health!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
beautiful, what a treasure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results