shape
carat
color
clarity

Odd setting - redo or keep???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueapple

Rough_Rock

I am looking for a new setting for a ring recently inherited. It''s a 2.00 carat round brilliant, H, SI1. It''s set with 2 single cut diamonds each approx. 0.02 carats and 4 ruby baguettes.

I am a huge fan of the simple Tiffany setting. As mentioned, I inherited this ring and my Godmother had it reset when she inherited it, however, used all the stones in the original setting (which I liked a lot better by the way). If I go with the Tiffany setting, I would obviously only use the diamond. If I don''t use them - what do I do with the rest of the stones?

I''m not a fan of the current setting either. It''s a little too, I don''t know - contemporary - for me?? But, it''s unique, and my Godmother had it created as far as I know. I am so completely torn. Any advice is welcomed. I am a huge fan of the forum and this is my first post. That''s the ring on my avatar.

Also - the current setting only has 4 prongs, and I can feel the diamond is lose. I''ve had it appraised and insured but am still worried!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, do you happen to have a clearer picture of the ring? The one in your avatar seems slightly distorted and I can''t really make out the details, but from what I can see, it is very pretty. But will a need a larger pic to give an opinion.

blueapple

Rough_Rock
I hope this is a better photo of the setting. I am really new to this so bear with me.

blueapple.jpg

blueapple

Rough_Rock
And from the side in the mirror. How off-balance is that with the large diamond and tiny little ones on the bottom?

Does that look odd to anyone else?

blueapple2.jpg

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hm....I personally don't like that setting, since it's not my style, but it is pretty and unusual.

First of all, if the diamond is loose in its setting, have it check and tightened by a jeweler right away! You don't want to risk losing the stone, even if it is insured.

I think a simple Tiffany solitaire setting would be nice for the center stone, and with it's size, it will really stand out beautifully. I guess that means that if the ring were mine, I'd have it reset.

As to what to do with the rest of the stones, that's a stumper. But then, I'm not very design oriented, so maybe some other people here will chime in.

ETA: And you're right, the profile shot does make the ring look off-balance. You can make the rubies and smaller stones into drop earrings, perhaps? I think that would be pretty.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all what a nice ring to have inherited from your Godmother. That said I am not loving the setting either. I''d have the stone reset in a Tiffany setting. The other two diamonds are very small from what I can tell. Do you have any nieces that have their ears pierced or a little sister?? They would make nice studs for a young girl. Just a thought, love the stone!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am also a fan of theTiffany style setting, so I understand why you are drawn to it. Which finger/hand do you intend to wear this ring on? Is it meant for an ER or right hand ring? If you want to keep the "old" ring b/c it has sentimental value, then perhaps you could set a garnet or another (red) stone in it to match the baugettes, and choose a solitare style for the large diamond, and have two rings.

If you look in the vendor section of this forum (under resources) you may find several of them have multiple ring styles/designs from which to choose. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for.

cheers--Sharon
1.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I guess my only hesitation would be if I thought my Godmother might be hurt or offended if I remounted it.

But since it''s yours now...you should be able to do what you please!

I may be weird, but I sorta like that mounting....I think. Do you happen to have a full hand shot of it? Just curious.

Nice inheritance! And welcome to PS!

widget

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I HATE BEING A DEADLOCK VICTIM! ARGH!

Okay, anyway... (had to retype this whole post)

I hear ya - me no likey. At first I thought that, based on the avatar, the picture was of 2 rings and that the big stone somehow snuggled into a second ring where the baby diamonds are. But since it's not... I think a Tiff setting would be lovely! Perhaps a colored gemstone could be put into your godmother's mounting?

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
I''d have to put that big gorgeous stone in something less ''80''s Disco Queenish. I''m sure she would want you to be happy with the gift.
1.gif

Amandas_Jewels

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful Diamond!
36.gif
Yeah, it would look best in a Tiffany setting.
What to do with the 2 small diamonds and the rubies? hmmm
Well scince you prolly have a equal amount, earrings would be nice. ( a cluster style? )
But you could also do a pendant.
Or even make them into a band to wear somedays with the big solitare. ( I like this idea the best )
Whatever you do, i''m sure it will look great!
Can''t wait to see the changes!
2.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone else -I would reset the beautiful diamond. As for the setting, it''s not my type at all either, although it is certainly unique, so if you like it and think you''d ever wear it, I like the idea of putting a colored stone in there. If not, Kaleigh''s idea of tiny earrings for a young relative was good; other than that I''m not coming up with any great creative ideas myself right now.

(The only other thought I had was that you said the original setting was prettier; you could change it back to look like that, but since you said you want Tiffany, it didn''t sound like that was an option.)

blueapple

Rough_Rock
You all are so wonderful. I love the idea of replacing the stone with another one to keep this setting intact and I think that I could even take the diamonds out for small studs as well.

I am a so grateful for all of the ideas. Thanks so much.

Oh - did I mention that I LOVE the surprise diamonds. So many choices when I thought that I had none.

Again, thanks so much and I''ll keep everyone updated!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 9:57:59 PM
Author: blueapple

Oh - did I mention that I LOVE the surprise diamonds. So many choices when I thought that I had none.

Welcome blueapple. If you love surprise diamonds
Scott Kay makes a ton of settings with them. Pearlmans Jewelers also carries Scott Kay and has a bunch pictures of his settings.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
The ring makes me wonder if there was some secret significance to the design- like is it supposed to be the Big Dipper? I mean that is a goofy example but maybe the shapes and placement of stones was symbolic of something personal to her.

I''d want to put another inexpensive stone into it and hang onto it for sentimental reasons, then do a solitaire with the diamond.
There are certainly lots of beautiful solitaires out there. I have been shopping for a solitaire, too and I found that all the major brands seem to make at least one simple (beautifully designed) solitaire. The two I like best are from Vellaggio and Ritani.
Neither of them is glitzy.
Sorry I can''t locate any pics online to post.

Of course, you can always have something made, too.
Quest does a beautiful job at very fair price.
www.questjewelers.com

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blueapple: Is it possible your godmother would appreciate getting the setting back someday with a Ruby set into it as the center? After looking closely, I understand the concept of the design and the ruby sidestones, just not the two little diamonds. I think it would look beautiful with a ruby center, but maybe without the two smaller diamonds. Did she give you this ring with the intent of you wearing it as is? Or is it a ring she designed herself that she really, really loved but gave to you out of the love and goodness of her heart, not ever expecting to get it back???

Sorry for rambling a bit. Sometimes I "type/think" out loud, lol!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Blueapple, i don''t see why you can''t have all the stones re-set to a new setting like this?
Sorry for the lousy photoshop, it''s late, if you are interested i can work out better one tomorrow.

RubyOld.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:40:42 PM
Author: Pricescope
Blueapple, i don''t see why you can''t have all the stones re-set to a new setting like this?
Sorry for the lousy photoshop, it''s late, if you are interested i can work out better one tomorrow.
Oh I like that a lot!!! Great idea Irina!!!!
36.gif

blueapple

Rough_Rock
That is beautiful. I love it.

As far as my Godmother, she passed away last year. All I know is that she inherited it from her aunt, my great-aunt - so the stones are family heirlooms. I know that she and her partner designed the setting so it was special to them, but she never wore it. I was honored when her partner presented it to me because of the family history and because she chose to give it to me. Since they designed the current setting, I don''t want to trash it completely, that''s why I love the idea of resetting it with another stone.

Again, this forum is made up of such wonderful people. I am so addicted.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 11:40:42 PM
Author: Pricescope

Ohhh...I love that idea! It would be beautiful!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh I love Irina''s suggestion, that way you could still do the tiffany head, but also incorporate the other diamonds!

And definitely put a different stone in the old setting, for sentimental reasons at least
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t worry much about the accent diamonds - they''d be like $10 each (OK, something like that).

Unusual as it is, the setting looks well done and flattering
10.gif
maybe the status as engagement ring doesn''t do it much service, if you expect that to be a conservative classic
12.gif

Why not set the diamond in the ring of your choice and have a different gem set in this setting? Even if it doesn''t get a ton a wear... it wouldn''t be ''destroyed'' and the pleasant memories with it. Besides who knows, maybe it will!
2.gif

Many colored stones would be quite inexpensive in this size (many wouldn''t), but... why not give it a thought? For every color there should be a handful of options for just about any price conceivable: natural and synthetics included.

Just an idea

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Maybe your godmother''s partner would like to have the setting back, with another stone set in it? Maybe your godmother''s birthstone, or her own birthstone? That might be a sweet gesture, and she might like to have the ring to remember your godmother by. Perhaps if you presented it to her on your godmother''s birthday, or something like that.

I quite like that setting, I think it''s cool. But I doubt I would wear it either.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2006 4:16:45 PM
Author: glitterata
Maybe your godmother''s partner would like to have the setting back, with another stone set in it? Maybe your godmother''s birthstone, or her own birthstone? That might be a sweet gesture, and she might like to have the ring to remember your godmother by. Perhaps if you presented it to her on your godmother''s birthday, or something like that.

I quite like that setting, I think it''s cool. But I doubt I would wear it either.
I think that''s a lovely idea.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results