shape
carat
color
clarity

O.K., Calling all princess experts!! I just know you love to give opinions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
What can you guys tell me with the following numbers?

3.03 PRINCESS

EGL CERT: H - SI1

8.10 X 7.87 X 5.89 mm

Depth: 74.8%

Table: 81%

Crown Height: 8%

Pavilion Depth: 65%

Gridle Thickness: Medium Polished

Finish: Very Good

Symmetry: Good to Very Good

Culet: None

Graining: Nill

Fluorescence: None

After your opinion, can you explain the significance of the numbers and how they effect the stone so I will know what to look for when looking for Princess Cuts.

What the difference between USA EGL & Europe EGL?

Sincerely,

YMA

ibelly

Rough_Rock
here is my first impression....i am not an expert by far.

egl.....can be questionable (depending) particularly when looking at H/Si 1
depth...ok
table .....too much
crown height....a little low

That is a big stone!. If I were to spend that much $, then i would want to assure myself of an educated purchase.

My princess ring/setting should be in my hands at the end of the month....I can''t wait!

Hopefully others will chime in with some of their opinions.....i am not an expert!
20.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
a huge table and low crown are not doing good things for this stone.
14.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Belle,

But what does it all mean?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2005 5:17:27 PM
Author: YMA
Thanks Belle,

But what does it all mean?
lol...well, basically it means that the stone could look quite ''dead''. like a big flat piece of glass.
i did a basic model in diamcalc to give you an idea of how light will pass through this stone instead of coming back to your eye. you can see that the light is reflected out through the side.
39.gif

bigtable.JPG

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
here is one with a smaller table and higher crown
3.gif

the light that enters is reflected back to your eyes.

smalltable.JPG

researcher

Ideal_Rock
When looking at princess cut stones, you really can''t go solely by the numbers. That being said, I (a non-expert) would look for the following:

Table < or = to the depth, with both numbers in the high 60''s to low/mid 70''s (impacts brilliance)
Crown of 10% or higher (impacts fire/colored light)
Girdle: TN, TN-M, M, M-STK, STK, STK-TK (any of these will work)
Polish/Symmetry (Finish): Ideal, EX, VG

Hope that helps!

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Every stone I look at basically s*cks.

I saw this stone in person and it was all sparkely and shiny to me and my DH, but also they do have those bright lights in the stores.

So the table #'s should be lower then depth, is that what I am to understand?

I guess I am back to the upgrade drawing board, the price of this stone was $16,526.00. I thought it was a good deal.

How would you know if a stone was a "good" stone, when all them shine and sparkle the same to me.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if you just want a big rock...this may very well be a good deal.

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Nooooooo, Belle I don''t just want a big rock..............I want a big shiny rock, one that is worthy of all the wooooo''s and ahhhhhhh''s I alway see on pricescope.

I want...........no I need a ring with BLING, I want to make the fellow pricescopers proud.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Belle--if you just want size, this is a good deal. But a good stone? No way. If you can''t tell the difference between this stone and others, go for it! But, it is not a well cut stone. If size is important, consider dropping in color/clarity. Choosing a poorly cut stone is never worth it IMO. But, to each their own!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple to consider (although I'm not too fond of EGL certs):

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=6559654
http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=24792814&flag=ps

What is your budget? What size are you hoping for? What's the lowest color/clarity combo you'll consider?

YMA

Shiny_Rock
See before pricescope I would jumped on this stone, but now that I am armed with a little knowledge I want to know what I am purchasing is a really good cut stone.

Before pricescope I "only" thought about the other 4c''s, not how well or not a stone was cut.

I would love to find a H -J colored/SI1-SI2 Princess or Radiant.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
What carat size, and what price range?

YMA

Shiny_Rock
3.00-3.50 cts.

$16,500 - 25,500(?) I don't know how realistic this is though?

The lowest color I would accept is maybe a K.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, in a princess I would only go lower than an I if it was an EXCEPTIONALLY white stone. There are probably some good J''s out there, but with fancies I think you would be wasting your time to go below J. Now let''s see if we PSers can find you a good stone in your budget!
1.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Er..Um..Dz*mn, Can I have them all....they are all so pretty and nice.
30.gif

Researcher, I just want you to know your ring is actually the inspiration for my new search...I must confess I kept going back and forth looking and all your ring post pictures.

So help is greatly appreciated
emwink.gif

Um yes I am a ring stalker he he he.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
researcher says she''s not an expert, but as far as princess cuts are concerned she knows them inside and out IMHO. Good luck in your search YMA. I hope you find the perfect princess cut. I know you''ve been looking for a while now!!!
1.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
I have, thanks for everyone''s support.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
kaleigh is right, researcher knows her princess cuts
2.gif

you are in good hands yma.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the compliments, Girls! I''m blushing! And YMA, how great to hear that my ring is your inspiration! I really do love my princess so it''s great to hear when others like it as well
1.gif
We''ll make sure we find you a stone that''s as nice or nicer! Now that the new AGS cut grades are out there''s a lot of new info that will help predict the best performing stones. But, you always have to start somewhere when buying over the internet, and that''s with the numbers. So, let''s see if we can narrow down your search by the numbers and then find out which of the top 2-3 is the best! Oh, and listen to Belle''s advice--she knows princesses as well as me! And as for Kaleigh, she''s got great taste and can be trusted to give an honest opinion. Between the three of us and the other princess experts here on PS (hopefully they will chime in!) we''ll find you the PERFECT princess cut stone
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey belle is no slouch either, sorry sis, should have given you credit where credit is due. Ok you and researcher have to find the YMA a great princess!!!! No pressure huh???
3.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You''re in on this too, Kaleigh. It''s your job to help pick the final product! Seriously, you know diamonds, what works and what doesn''t. So, be prepared to compare ideal scope images and Sarin reports!
28.gif

YMA

Shiny_Rock
Awwwwwwwwwww, sniff, sniff...........thanks girls. Diamond group hug
emteeth.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
awwwww
face16.gif
you girls are too kind!
hang in there yma, i know you''ve been looking for an upgrade for quite some time.
you have princess lovers on the hunt with you now...we will find you the perfect stone
36.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
So has there been any progress, YMA? Any stones that are speaking to you? I hope so!!!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results