shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC proposal and weekend trip

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vertigo

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

OK, I''ve got the ring from GoodOldGold, and I''m flying out with my girlfriend to NYC for a weekend away. We haven''t taken a vacation together in a while so I doubt she suspects anything is up. I''ve been reading through the threads and here''s what I have so far. I told her I''ll be planning the whole trip so the whole weekend is going to be a surprise for her.

Friday night:
Arrive at 8pm, take a stretch limousine to the Essex House where we''ll be staying in the Astor Suite. She''s always wanted to sit in a limousine, so this''ll be great for her.

We''ll get to the hotel at about 8.45, and I have dinner reservations at Tavern on the Green at 10pm. The horse carriages are lined up right across from the Essex House so we''ll take one of the carriages across Central Park to Tavern on the Green. I figure I''ll pop the question while we''re riding in the horse carriage.

After that, it''s back to the hotel where I''ll hopefulyl ahve set up rose petals, chocolate, champagne in the room. The next morning, we''ll get up in time to see the sunrise (another thing she loves to do, but something I haven''t managed to wake up for in years
9.gif
), and then get breakfast and maybe a massage in the hotel spa. We''ll go for the Circle Line 2 hour semi circle cruise around Manhattan island and then return to the hotel for a Phototrek Taste of the City Tour so that we can get some pictures of the two of us together to commemorate this weekend. I made reservations at One if By Land, Two if By Sea for that evening, and then we''ll go watch a Broadway show .Any recommendations???
31.gif

The next day, we''ll wake up late, head down to Chinatown for Dim Sum brunch and come back to wander around Central Park again...not sure what else to do on Sunday. We leave for the airport at about 7pm....Suggestions?

1.gif

what do you guys think of the plan? Recommendations for Broadway and Sunday? Time of proposal? All comments much appreciated!!
9.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
aww that is incredibly romantic!!!

im not sure about proposing in the carriage, although the carriage ride is perfect...how are you going to get down on one knee in the carriage? i think you should get down on one knee :)

you should see Wicked if it is still playing in NYC, ive seen it and it is a really awesome broadway show.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
I live right outside NYC and have been to One if by Land Two if by Sea a few times and it is mine and my girlfriend''s favorite romantic restaurants in the city. I actually have late reservations there for after my proposal coming up in the next few weeks.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Broadway suggestions:

Wicked is defiantely a great show but the theatre is on the large side so try and get up front orch seats.

Spamalot is a blast if you like monty python humor.

Lestat I saw last week and I would stay away from it, I loved the books and the first act just doesn''t do the books any justice. Actually I can honestly say the first act is one of my least favorite of all the plays I have seen and I have seen a lot.

One of the hotest tickets in town now is Three days of rain if your girlfriend is a big julia roberts fan but. . . the reviews have been less then stellar and my mother was not in love with the show either. (I am going May 20th and come back with a better review)

Chicago and Phantom are classsics that you can''t go wrong with even though phantom wasn''t one of my favorites.

Haven''t heard good things about sweeny todd

Haven''t seen it but the Odd coulpe is closing July 4th with Nathan Lane and Mathew Broderick if you are out before then you can''t go wrong.

Prob not but if the trip is planned for after October Les Mis is going back on Broadway and is an all time favorite.

Last but not least Mamma Mia wasn''t exactly my favorite but I think that is because I am guy but my girlfriend loved it. It actually might be a good pick to becuase it is centered around a young woman''s wedding and finding her father to walk her down the aisle out of her mother''s past lovers. Definatley upbeat and fun and its lasted the test of time, It has all ABBA songs (Dancing Queen exct. . ) Anyways most women love the show.

Hope it helps
-Dave

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Since you guys would just be engaged, maybe a romantic Broadway show like Beauty & the Beast or even Phantom?

Otherwise, I saw Avenue Q when I was in NYC a few weeks ago and it was awesome. Actually, it''s got a romantic storyline in it even tho it''s mainly a comedy. Plus, should be easy to get tickets unlike, say, Wicked.

jesterjigger

Shiny_Rock
My bf bought tickets to Wicked for our proposal trip to NYC...it cost $500!!!!

We saw Barefoot in the Park a month ago, it was cute and funny...Amanda Peet is in it. Also, not quite Broadway I don''t think, but there''s one that I really liked called something like "I love you, you''re perfect, now change". Very funny and sweet as well, highly recommend it.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there.
I''ve lived in NYC my whole life and am a big Broadway buff. There is a site where you can sign up for discount tickets: http://www.theatermania.com. If you register, which is free, they will tell you which shows you can get at discounts. You may get some emails from them, but I think you can unsubscribe at some point.

Avenue Q is great, although a bit racy. I''m biased though since I''m good friends with someone in the show. Wicked is a great musical also. I Love You, You''re Perfect, Now Change is also very cute, but it''s not a typical musical. There are a bunch of good plays out there, but I''m not sure if that''s what you''re looking for. I don''t know when your proposal will be, but if it''s in the summer you might want to consider going to Shakespeare in the Park. It''s a free show (but you have to wait on line for hours on the day of) and it''s in a fantastic outdoor theater. It''s one of the ulitimate New York experiences. Also, you can ''donate'' $100 per ticket and pick the day that you want to go. It is tax deductable and about the same price as most Broadway shows.

I also know of some great places for Dim Sum. One of my favorites is Dim Sum Go Go. You order what you want instead of wating for a cart to come by. The mango and shrimp rolls are awesome!

As for Sunday, you could go to the park again, or go to the new AOL Time Warner building. The architecture is beautiful, but it is basically a mall. But there is a Whole Foods in the bottom where you can have lunch... and possibly spot celebrities (I saw Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban there recently)! You could also go to the Museum of Natural History and the Planitarium which are next to the park. It''s a great museum and they have a pretty yummy food court too.

Let me know if I can be of further help!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 9:40:24 AM
Author: AmandaPanda

As for Sunday, you could go to the park again, or go to the new AOL Time Warner building. The architecture is beautiful, but it is basically a mall. But there is a Whole Foods in the bottom where you can have lunch... and possibly spot celebrities (I saw Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban there recently)! You could also go to the Museum of Natural History and the Planitarium which are next to the park. It''s a great museum and they have a pretty yummy food court too.

Let me know if I can be of further help!

What''s up with the two naked statues of the fat man and woman in there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results