shape
carat
color
clarity

NYC engagement ring purchase dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newlyengaged11

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am a first time poster in need of help. Here is my situation:

My fiance and I got engaged this summer. My fiance began looking for a ring by contacting a friend of my family who is the diamond business about five weeks before he proposed. She found him a two-carat oval, which is what he was looking for. We ended up not purchasing that diamond because I felt very hesitant about spending that amount of money. After that, we looked at one more diamond that she showed us but both felt it wasn''''t right. Then, she didn''''t contact us for many weeks. I''''ve since become frustrated with the process and think that perhaps I would be happier not to get an engagement ring at all. However, my fiance is much more of a traditionalist and really wants to give me one, and I do very much appreciate the sentiment.

But, I am unsure of whether this family friend is just fed up with us and whether we should go elsewhere. I don''''t know how diamond pricing works, and I never expected her to do this with us for free, but I am wondering if she hasn''''t put much into this process because it isn''''t for a "real" customer(?) I know this sounds paranoid, but I am unsure whether she really can''''t find anything or whether she is even looking. Our specifications for a diamond were actually very specific, but I''''ve researched into it, and our price range for what we would like is quite reasonable.

So, at this point I am feeling distressed over the entire thing, and just want it to be over with.

Basically, my questions are:

Are two carat ovals (with specific requirements as to color, cut, clarity, and approximate length-to-width ratio) unusual enough that it would take four+ months to find one? Should I just keep waiting for the family friend to find something?

If I decided to go to Harry Winston (which I have considered because I know they have very good customer service), or another NYC retailer, how much of a price premuim would such a ring have over something I would buy through this family friend?

Thank you very much for your time and help.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Your may not pay anything more, or less then through your friend. That depends entriely on them. Go where you feel comfertable and stick with your budget. You do not need to send bussiness her way. If you post what you were looking for people might be able to help you here.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey newlyengaged11
35.gif
welcome to ps!
since you didn''t mention your specific requirements, i wasn''t able to narrow down a stone search, but if you use the ''pricescope your diamond'' search tool at the top of the page here, you can look for stones that match your requirements.
best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results