shape
carat
color
clarity

nowadays....how much one must make annually before ...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it is consider a high paying job? over $150K?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Without factoring where one lives, your question is tough to answer.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I doubt I will ever make that much money soooo...I guess I don''t know. Lol.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I would say six figures.

However I think it also depends on your standard of living. There are plenty of people that make 6 figures and still have a hard time making ends meet. I guess it also depends on where you live as well, since certain parts of the country. LA is more expensive than Wisconsin and so forth.

I guess it all depends on your own interpretation.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
In Manhattan, I would say it's 500k at the very least. Other cities like Atlanta or Chicago, it would be 300-350k, I think. That's for a single individual, not a family income. Anywhere else in middle America, low six figures would do nicely. This is so subjective, though. I think that's what I would consider to be a nice high paying job. Not astronomical, but certainly enough to live nicely. That's also because of home prices. In Manhattan ,a 1-bedroom decent home is around $1.5-2 million. So if you have a 2 bedroom apartment that is a decent size in a good neighborhood and building, it's way more than that. Real estate and cost of living dictates what one considers to be a "high paying" job.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 10:50:48 PM
Author: Bliss
In Manhattan, I would say it's 500k at the very least. Other cities like Atlanta or Chicago, it would be 300-350k, I think. That's for a single individual, not a family income. Anywhere else in middle America, low six figures would do nicely. This is so subjective, though. I think that's what I would consider to be a nice high paying job. Not astronomical, but certainly enough to live nicely. That's also because of home prices. In Manhattan ,a 1-bedroom decent home is around $1.5-2 million. So if you have a 2 bedroom apartment that is a decent size in a good neighborhood and building, it's way more than that. Real estate and cost of living dictates what one considers to be a 'high paying' job.

Wow, I am definitely in the wrong field. May I ask, what jobs pay $500K? I am glad I don't live in manhattan, I'd be living in a shoe box!

To answer the question, in my opinion anything over $100K is high paying.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, it depends where you live. I feel for those that live in NYC. That''s crazy expensive.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
In Manhattan, I would say it''s 500k at the very least. Other cities like Atlanta or Chicago, it would be 300-350k, I think. That''s for a single individual, not a family income. Anywhere else in middle America, low six figures would do nicely. This is so subjective, though. I think that''s what I would consider to be a nice high paying job. Not astronomical, but certainly enough to live nicely. That''s also because of home prices. In Manhattan ,a 1-bedroom decent home is around $1.5-2 million. So if you have a 2 bedroom apartment that is a decent size in a good neighborhood and building, it''s way more than that. Real estate and cost of living dictates what one considers to be a ''high paying'' job.
Factoring in a family with two kids, I think $1m upwards in Manhattan is what it takes, if you''re going to do the whole private school/3-4 bed condo thing. It might sound nuts, but Manhattan alters your perspective so much, that a "high salary"--implying more than "good" or "comfortable"--is more like $2-3m a year. Which is why we''re headed to Brooklyn
9.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 11:26:22 PM
Author: TanDogMom

In Manhattan, I would say it''s 500k at the very least. Other cities like Atlanta or Chicago, it would be 300-350k, I think. That''s for a single individual, not a family income. Anywhere else in middle America, low six figures would do nicely. This is so subjective, though. I think that''s what I would consider to be a nice high paying job. Not astronomical, but certainly enough to live nicely. That''s also because of home prices. In Manhattan ,a 1-bedroom decent home is around $1.5-2 million. So if you have a 2 bedroom apartment that is a decent size in a good neighborhood and building, it''s way more than that. Real estate and cost of living dictates what one considers to be a ''high paying'' job.

Wow, I am definitely in the wrong field. May I ask, what jobs pay $500K? I am glad I don''t live in manhattan, I''d be living in a shoe box!

Hedge funders, private equity folks, lawyers, ad directors, some doctors. Heck, my old dog walker confided that she made $90k a year in Manhattan (she walks four dogs at a time, $28 per dog).

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 11:37:58 PM
Author: ursulawrite

Wow, I am definitely in the wrong field. May I ask, what jobs pay $500K? I am glad I don''t live in manhattan, I''d be living in a shoe box!

Hedge funders, private equity folks, lawyers, ad directors, some doctors. Heck, my old dog walker confided that she made $90k a year in Manhattan (she walks four dogs at a time, $28 per dog).

WOW. (To me, the dog walker''s job sounds like the most fun!)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 11:40:30 PM

WOW. (To me, the dog walker''s job sounds like the most fun!)

I''ll say!!! I would love that job
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 11:52:56 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 7/10/2008 11:40:30 PM

WOW. (To me, the dog walker's job sounds like the most fun!)

I'll say!!! I would love that job
9.gif
$90K sounds nice, but think of all the doggy "clean up," bags you'd be dealing with.
14.gif
Guess it would be worth it for that pay.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ha ha ha ha ha, yep that is true, but would be worth the stinky mess!!!
8.gif
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2008 10:08:50 PM
Author: Harriet
Without factoring where one lives, your question is tough to answer.
true....where we live $75K annually would be consider a good paying job.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

must be Leona Helmsley''s pooch.
1237400wqzwintuen.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends where you're at in your career also. High paying at the start of your career is not going to be the same 10 years in.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Where I work, teachers are considered highly paid (even though few of us are except administrators and football coaches).

I dunno though, DH and I are living on just my teacher salary and we have everything we need and then, since we don''t have car payments, we get plenty of extras now and again (dinners out, shopping trips, low budget travel). And we contribute towards savings, so maybe we are rich compared to some even on my lil salary.

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 3:03:30 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

must be Leona Helmsley''s pooch.
1237400wqzwintuen.gif
I had the misfortune of meeting that dog several years ago. It was with its minder in Central Park. Having no idea who the dog was, I went to pet it and it nearly took my hand off. I''m a huge dog lover but that was the nastiest animal I''ve ever encountered. The minder was less than discreet and told me all about Mrs. Helmsley''s crazy doting ways, the dog''s diet, and the small matter of the dog biting a maid and being the subject of a lawsuit.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 9:50:14 AM

Date: 7/11/2008 3:03:30 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

must be Leona Helmsley's pooch.
1237400wqzwintuen.gif
I had the misfortune of meeting that dog several years ago. It was with its minder in Central Park. Having no idea who the dog was, I went to pet it and it nearly took my hand off. I'm a huge dog lover but that was the nastiest animal I've ever encountered. The minder was less than discreet and told me all about Mrs. Helmsley's crazy doting ways, the dog's diet, and the small matter of the dog biting a maid and being the subject of a lawsuit.
I'm sorry it almost bit you, but I had to laugh at the coincidence. Was it that Maltese that she used in her ads?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Our doggy daycare lady (who charges $28/dog and watches 8 dogs per day) admits that she makes less than $50K per year after taxes, though she does run it out of her own home which cuts down on capital. I''ve often thought about doing this myself, but I think the paycut would be a huge adjustment.

I used to think that six figures was "good money", but after we both passed that mark individually, I was surprised at how little we saved compared to what I expected we would save (despite no car payment, cheap rent, etc.) and if it weren''t for the fact that we live pretty meagerly, I''m not so sure we could live on my salary alone (as of next week) and still save. Our goal was to have enough to pay cash for a house this year, but we couldn''t reach that goal with our salaries.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Bliss! I live in Atlanta, and I have to say that my opinion of high paying is a lot less than yours! In addition to location, I think social circles can influence your ideas a lot too. To me, high paying is when I make more than most of the people I know. I think that falls somewhere in the $100K range.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else think that this opinion could also vary depending on age...???

I have a few friends around 26 that have been making over $100K/yr, for about 2 yrs now... but I know they would not be happy with continuing to make that the rest of their lives.

Whereas, I also have other friends at the lower end of the spectrum 40-50k (or even C's friends that are jobless, but that is another rant for another thread
20.gif
), that would be perfectly happy with slowly rising to around $100k and be happy with that forever. Heck, a few of them would probably be happy with around $75k.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2008 11:35:07 PM

In Manhattan, I would say it's 500k at the very least. Other cities like Atlanta or Chicago, it would be 300-350k, I think. That's for a single individual, not a family income. Anywhere else in middle America, low six figures would do nicely. This is so subjective, though. I think that's what I would consider to be a nice high paying job. Not astronomical, but certainly enough to live nicely. That's also because of home prices. In Manhattan ,a 1-bedroom decent home is around $1.5-2 million. So if you have a 2 bedroom apartment that is a decent size in a good neighborhood and building, it's way more than that. Real estate and cost of living dictates what one considers to be a 'high paying' job.
Factoring in a family with two kids, I think $1m upwards in Manhattan is what it takes, if you're going to do the whole private school/3-4 bed condo thing. It might sound nuts, but Manhattan alters your perspective so much, that a 'high salary'--implying more than 'good' or 'comfortable'--is more like $2-3m a year. Which is why we're headed to Brooklyn
9.gif
ursulawrite, I agree! To have kids in Manhattan and raise them in private schools, a family income should be $1 million and that is minimum. I'd say minimum for just one child. It is crazy expensive to raise kids in Manhattan.
28.gif
Why is that???

I agree with everyone - it is inflated these days but that's just what prices are. For cities like Atlanta, I put around 350k per single person but that's assuming you also own a home in a nice area like Buckhead. So a couple together would be able to afford that. Homes there are also 7 figures now, but in the low 7 figures. Private schools there are about $15-17,000 a year per child. Then on top of that you have to spend a lot so that they are in the same playing field as all the other CEO's kids. Boy, kids are really expensive.

Sometimes I look at my parents and wonder how in the world they managed to do all that. But the truth is, they also made sacrifices so that we could have the education, experiences and the lifestyle that accompanies that.

I gotta send my mom flowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At other times I wonder if you really NEED all that stuff. There are so many families in smaller cities who do far more with less. And their kids turn out to be great, too. Here in Manhattan, people work so hard and they have nannies for their kids. And I know couples who hardly see their babies because of how hard they're working to pay the nanny and live a cush lifestyle.

Makes me want a simpler life if ours should ever come to that! What do you think?

krispi

Shiny_Rock
You know, as a 30 year old college educated person working in middle management and living in a major city, this thread is just making me more and more aware of how SEVERELY underpaid I am...

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i dunno. i find this whole thread shocking
23.gif

if it costs so much to live + have kids in manhattan, are the salaries just that much higher there to go along with the cost of living?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where we live $75K is good money. You can do very well for yourself here for that much.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 10:58:00 AM
Author: jcrow

23.gif

if it costs so much to live + have kids in manhattan, are the salaries just that much higher there to go along with the cost of living?

I think the perspective is skewed here...of course it is expensive, but you don't NEED nannies, or private schools, or bugaboo's etc...I know plenty of people who raise kids in NY and make much much much less than that. And they do just fine.

I think if you want to compete with the big boys in NYC those estimates are on target. If you just want to live a normal life, you can certainly make do with a lot lot less.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, even rent can make your head spin. A loft opened up in TriBeCa - guess what they''re asking? $60,000 a month! Who pays that?! I''d rather buy something and pay it toward mortgage. But there are people who do pay that, hence the market rate. That''s a 3c ring a month! Throwing it away on rent, not mortgage!
33.gif
26.gif

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 10:59:17 AM
Author: neatfreak
Where we live $75K is good money. You can do very well for yourself here for that much.
I always thought this too. I don''t know the exact amount, but my brother is an engineer and I imagine he mades somewhere in the $75-$90 range. When people ask about him, I always tell them he has done very well for himself.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/11/2008 10:58:00 AM
Author: jcrow

23.gif

LOL. I know, it is really surprising. But to answer your question, there are a ton of people who spend all their money on clothes and shoes and bags...but live like 5 people to an apartment here. So they look like they're doing well on the outside but live in terrible places. There are lots of young people who skimp and forego lunch or dinner just to live in the big city. I have no idea why they do it. NYC is awesome, but it's not worth starving and living in cramped conditions with a bunch of people just to go out every night.

There was a New York Times article about it a couple of months ago on the youth culture here. Many twenty somethings and thirty somethings move here and live hand to mouth. It's really tough to do it if you don't have the income because there are so many fun things to do and truly awesome shopping. They say there's a $100 door tax -- you go out the door to get coffee or just to step out and you come back $100 lighter.

But apparently people love that still because a lot of people move here to try to make it. I see a lot of people looking really stressed here and I think that's why. High cost of living and wealth all around. The disparity is alarming.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results