shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zlata, thanks for the additional info. And wow, I never met anyone else with DU. Weird how our bodies react to things. I'm just like you in that even the most sensitive of lotions cause a reaction. It can be very frustrating finding what works or at least what won't make things worse. Thanks so much for sharing what works for you!

NYC is lovely this time of year. The only problem are the crowds and crowds. It's hard to even see the Rockefeller tree and the dept store windows but you can bet we are going to be doing our Christmas tradition of doing all of this despite the crowds.

Happy holidays!

Kristie , you are a dear so feel free to multiple post to me anytime lol. I just thought you were feeling very emphatic about what you were posting haha.

I am so glad Finn is doing well! I know that is your best holiday gift of all.

This has been my Annus Horibilus and I hope 2015 will bring health and happiness to us all. I know I don't have the monopoly on bad things happening and in the grand scheme of things I am lucky I know. It's just been challenging health wise for me and continues to be.

I went to PT this morning because I realized Victor is away after this week till Jan 5th so I decided to have my last PT session of 2014. And he admitted today that he thought my toe tendonitis would be better by now and because it is not I am behind where he thinks I should be. Mind you I forced it out of him by asking point blank am I behind progress wise. Because it hurts to bend my toe and because my toe has limited motion I cannot move my ankle as much when walking or doing other activities so there you have it. A vicious cycle. He advised me to do even more toe/tendon stretching multiple times a day. I am not letting it get me down because I am doing all I can do and am determined to get better. The face issue is actually causing me more discomfort right now. It's getting raw again and I just don't know what to do. Doing nothing was what caused the biggest irritation of all a few weeks ago so for now I am applying tiny amounts of topical meds as prescribed and waiting for the Oracea to kick in.

Again, I am trying to keep it all in perspective and I am incredibly fortunate my dh is so understanding and supportive. The work issue is not something I have to be concerned with right now (though I am getting some pressure about returning from the people at work) because Greg is so supportive. I do want to return but I need to feel stronger and better before I do so I am not letting anyone pressure me and that really goes a long way re my mental status. Speaking of which brings me to your other recommendation.

You are right in that I am being resistant to taking Atarax though don't get me wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking anti anxiety meds and I am keeping that option in my back pocket so to speak if I really feel it necessary. My concern right now is twofold. One I react strangely to many meds and as you correctly pointed out I am on a lot of meds. I would rather not add any more to the mix unless I had to. And two, I don't feel I am at the point I need a med to relax me ( though I am naturally type A and this year did nothing to help that haha) but your point is well taken and very much appreciated Kristie. Know that.

I also want you to know that last month I asked my derm about Atarax and he just said not necessary. LOL. I have to laugh because he didn't even discuss it with me but truthfully I didn't feel like pursuing it at the time. However at my next derm appointment I will ask him about it in more detail. David is cool and I think if I really push the issue he would write an Rx for it. I cannot be sure of that but that is my feeling anyway. So I have an appointment with him in mid January and I am going to bring the Atarax question up again.

As for the other meds (Rifaximin etc) my derm and I discussed them at length in the past. I will bring it up again when I see him however as that was a long time ago. Thanks for thinking of meds that you feel might help. I appreciate that!

David Cohen (my derm) is very well respected in the field and considered a rosacea expert in the medical community and I myself am very knowledgeable about rosacea out of necessity. It took a few years but I got it under control with David's help and my tenacity. Unfortunately for whatever reason it came back in October with company (perioral dermatitis and seb derm). Could be that when I stopped the Oracea in Feb/March of this year it took all that time for me to rebound I don't know. I thought I was in the clear at this point. I was so apprehensive when I had to go off Oracea this past Feb/March that I was practically begging David not to make me go off it (I had no choice as that was when I developed the severe esophagitis). Then months and months passed and my skin was clear and I was so relieved. I really thought whew I dodged that bullet. Little did I know it was all just lurking ready to attack all these months later. Oh well. I just hope the Oracea kicks in soon and helps relieve my major symptoms.

How are you doing with your rosacea symptoms? I am sorry you are dealing with restless leg syndrome in addition to rosacea. I had no clue it was part of the rosacea constellation. I hope the Rifaximin works well for you and I hope your rosacea is mild and never bothers you in the least. Keep me posted about how the med works for you. Do you have face flushing/burning and/or paps? It can be such a pain. I remember when I was first diagnosed (2006) my face started flushing and burning out of nowhere and it was a difficult adjustment. That's the year I went from perfect skin to very imperfect skin.

Kristie, thank you again for continuing to be here for me with your wide array of helpful info and good suggestions and good wishes. I know you know I appreciate it but it doesn't hurt for me to say it again. Thank you and I hope you start feeling 100% very soon.

OK enough gloomy medical chit chat. LOL I know I'm getting old when my favorite topic of conversation is health. OMG I have 56 plus pages devoted to it here. My apologies to all! May 2015 bring nothing but happy talk of bling and more bling!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Girls,

Can I just say hi for a minute? I keep thinking about you all, many of you have really touched me and yes you do mean a lot to me too. Missy I do hope you are ok and now your skin is getting better. Sorry that I have been away but things are out of control around here, some good and some not so good but totally crazy and my laptop died a week ago. I finally have it back from the service and I cannot write well from my iphone so definitely mean to attempt to read up on everyone's news even though on the work front I do not expect things to calm down till after the holidays. This year has been crazier than ever with many other things coming up, my having to do legal work for private clients too and my mom having many problems that I also had to deal with the last few days.

But there are really cool projects on the jewelry and gems front that I am enjoying a lot, still it is a bit much at once, I wish it was only that and none of the problems, I want to be here to read about you and talk to you all but have not even been able to read emails pretty much. I am also having mystery health problems with vomiting and possible kidney issues with likely no time to get it checked out till after the holidays. My mom's car we had to tow where we live, major problems and I am extremely worried about her health too. So I feel a bit overwhelmed right now to say the least.

Missy, I just want to cheer you up though I really hope you are better and say to you all that I feel that many of us are like related souls! I miss you Callie and Marcy and LLJsmom very much too and hugs to Kristie and Junebug too and all the others. I hope to talk to you on Wednesday, I should at least have a bit of time to do that.

Ah and yes I did go to the outlets last week and sourced a really nice dress and great makeup stuff, lingerie and sweets, that was a really fun day. Wish you girls all a wonderful day and talk later!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ovi! We have missed you and I am so sorry you are having health issues and that your dear mom is having issues as well. Please don't worry about us. You are such a dear to care when you have so much going on in your life right now.
Know we are thinking of you and sending many hugs and good thoughts and healing PS dust your way! Take care of yourself and your mom and we will be here for you when you have the time and energy. In the meantime sending lots of big hugs and more hugs your way!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I'm sorry to hear you haven't shown much improvement with your skin the past few days. What do you think you would like to do? I know often it can take weeks for medicines to work well and show results. Kristie had some good ideas but I'd probably be afraid to stop the medicines for fear it would flare up even worse. I do wonder if stress could be making it worse. My niece had made the comment that the doctor told her to try not to stress about it. As I was typing this she just texted and said her face looked worse yesterday and today. The doctor warned her that may happen before it gets better. She also said her glands are swollen so she thinks she is getting sick. She said she's so depressed. Urghhhh. I so wish you lived here. We could all go out to dinner.

What does Victor want to do about your toe pain? Does he have any suggestions. Does walking help or aggravate your toe. If walking helps maybe you could come to Chicago after the holidays. A change of scenery would be good for you. Marcy and LLJsmom could come too. We could go to Jewelers Row and then shop on Michigan Ave, there is a Stuart Weitzman! At night we could go to a restaurant with great lighting and stare at LLJsmom's ring. I promise no subways will be involved! JuneBug and OV do you want to come to Chicago?

Marcy, When does Marty come back from his trip? What did you bake yesterday?

LLJSmom, Make sure to let us know you made it home from work safely. You driving worries me a bit at the moment. Remember to look out the windshield. Don't look at your hand!!!!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OV, We have all missed you! I hope you start to feel better! Can't you get to the doctor sooner? Wow, you have had a lot going on. Are you crazy busy due to the holidays with work?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ovi: Finn says WOOF! and we are sorry to hear about your mom's health, we will hold good thoughts for her and you!

Hey Missy:

Re Atarax or other antianxiety/antidepressants (some patients had skin resolution on Paxil): I wouldn't start anything new either on top of what you're taking EXCEPT Atarax (its been around a very, very long time with lots of clinical data) and then only if you feel it might benefit you. I thought there could be benefit because of the mind-body connection---you've had a tremendous amount of stress in a compressed period of time and if your very skin is rebelling you might be showing it in the only way it can find. Calming your mind/calming your skin, as it were. We don't always realize the amount of stress we experience, we hide it in a multitude of ways and means including physical.

The Xifaxan/rifaximin reference was for the poster who was cogitating (Callie, maybe?) so I thought I could save someone time if I said what it was.

The two medical specialties that I thought were the most complicated were GI and Derm and its no coincidence that the docs with the most empathy and compassion for their patients were the GI and Derm docs.

I believe wholeheartedly that in 100 years man/womankind will look back on the medicine of today as we do leeches and bleeding of people.

Its frustrating, trying to find answers/treatments. I have 5 aloe vera plants in my backyard and when I have skin issues I go out and cut off a leaf, portion it and refrigerate the unused portions. I put the contents gently on the affected area. I wish you were here, we could try a tiny patch spot to see if it gave you any relief and if it did I would do a harvest for you until the seb derm was gone.

My rosacea is mild, no pimples or raised spots, it comes on my upper cheeks if I get really ANGRY (good incentive to keep calm) and sometimes when I drink alcohol (frustrating, i love a good cocktail or wine). I never know when it might come. It started when I was in perimenopause, just another BONUS of that experience :lol:

Missy, I just throw stuff out to ya---something to think about that didn't cost you a consultation fee hahahahaha. the 10 years I worked at Mayo I took copious notes in GI, Derm and Internal Med and noted interesting stuff. I have benefited from it and my friends have too and i totally think of you and all of us posters on this thread as budsters too :bigsmile:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shoot, forgot to include this above, Missy, sorry bout that, Finn was barking LOUDLY for his dinner, he's hungry on the prednisone =)

Gut/skin connection. There is a school of thought gaining a lot of traction that the status of your gut microbiome can be seen on your face=acne, rosacea, seb derm, etc etc skin conditions. Google this and read. Acne and skin problems came along with the modern diet and the destruction/decline in quality of our microbiomes.

Get over to Whole Foods and buy some Good Bellies (its what Bob and I use so its what I know) and have one twice or three times daily. They come in small shot-like containers in juice like Mango, acai-blueberry, strawberry. They are tasty. If you can't do fruit juice, try Align or Flora-Q (Costco has it).

Won't hurt ya, might help your skin. The next to most current issue of the New Yorker in its article on FMT (fecal microbiota transplants) discusses gut microbiome.

The docs I worked with, when the standard and off-label treatments fail, and the patient continues to suffer, they discuss with the patient the mind-body connection and going off some/all meds to find the true baseline of the condition, and talking to someone who will work with them in getting your gut/skin in better shape.

I've been leafing through my notebook...sorry its not all gathered in one spot here.

I get it, this is your safe place to vent. I'm just throwing out stuff, no worries about implementing anything :lol:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kristie, I had never given much thought but knowing everything else stress can do to your body it makes perfect sense that if could also affect your skin in many different ways. Do you also ask think peri menopause could play a role with the type of skin issues Missy is having? The more you post the more I realize there are so many different things that could be the cause/effect. its understandable why it's difficult to have a quick fix as well. Missy also has the whole sensitive skin thing going on. I know they told my niece that also makes her skin problems harder to get under control.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callie, hey there. I am so sorry your niece isn't doing any better but perhaps she will start improving once the Mino takes hold. When I first started Oracea back in 2006 it took a full 3 months for my face to start showing improvement from the rosacea. Now I am sure your niece is on a higher dose than I was since acne is different from rosacea and I was/am taking a sub microbial dose which functions purely as an anti-inflammatory and not an antibiotic. However it can take time and since her doc said it might get worse before it gets better there is hope. I feel for her and as always sending continued good thoughts and hugs her way.

Victor just wants me to continue stretching the tendon as much as possible and walking. Walking does aggravate the toe tendon but I need to do it. As Victor said if I hadn't had the accident and the toe tendonitis just happened they would put me in a walking boot so my toe tendon gets a rest. But I cannot do that now or my ankle ROM will regress to perhaps the point of no return. Time is too valuable to get that ROM going.

Now this might be TMI Callie (though I am pretty sure that there is no such thing anymore with me and this thread here for all to see lol) but I am past peri menopause. It has been over 12 months of no cycle so I think that means I am officially in menopause. Why do they call it that anyway? Probably because it's the man's fault haha... reminds me of a funny quote by Helen Hayes...The hardest years in life are those between ten and seventy. Haha. Fortunately for me the challenging years didn't start till my late 40's so I guess I cannot complain. And I will also add that I was fortunate because I didn't get any hot flashes or anything else associated with it except for the cessation of my periods.

Kristie, I'm with you on all the above you posted. I have been eating fermented veggies since the spring (and my weird GI symptoms started) to replenish my good bacteria.
http://www.immunitrition.com/Organic_Cultured_Veggies.html

They don't taste bad (the smell though is yuk) and I have them every day.

As for the aloe here is a (not so) funny anecdote. I have been experimenting with a number of things and I tried pure aloe the other week on my scalp as a preconditioner. Well, 2 drops fell on my arm and immediately a welt appeared in both areas the aloe touched. Can you believe it. I'm allergic to aloe vera. I never knew that was even possible. ::)

I am very glad your rosacea is mild. Thank goodness for that. As I wrote mine was very bad when I was first diagnosed but after a couple of years it calmed down. I still flush when changing temperatures i.e. go from warm to cold or cold to warm but I deal. The Oracea had taken care of the paps so I was all good. Until this October but well you know the whole saga.

Thanks so much for reaching into your bag of tried and true tricks and please keep throwing it out there to me... I am hopeful and happy to have so many good ideas shared here because you never know what might be the one that works for me (and anyone else who might be reading and needing some help too). And make sure to give darling Finn a big hug and kiss from his Aunt Missy please!

menopause_joke.jpg

_25253.jpg

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie & Missy: TMI from me, I'm 14 months no period :rolleyes: which is GREAT but I could do without the change to the texture of my hair that came with it!!!!!!

Missy, was it aloe straight from the leaf??? That gave you the welt on your arm.

That is great, you are replenishing your gut microbiome through the fermented vegetables. Finn eats raw including doggie-friendly cooked vegetables, the Westies eat better than I do, oy veh.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies! How are you doing?

Holy Cow! This thread is busy. Sweet.

Hi Ziata, you certainly have had a battle with your sensitive skin. I am glad you found some relief but like Missy it certainly is a lot of trial and error to find what works.

Missy, Dillards was really busy when I was there on Sunday. I was wandering through the kitchen and Christmas sections. I almost picked up some new pieces for my Christmas china but I was good and put it back. Last Christmas I went crazy and bought Lenox Holiday china including a lot of serving pieces. I am sure you are shocked I’d go crazy with shopping!

Greg’s butter cookies sound delicious. I got my Christmas cards mailed on the way home from work today and have PB fudge chilling in the frig right now. I am excited to be able to cross things off my list. Since I’m a klutz with a knife I’ll be very careful cutting it up later tonight.

I am taking off Friday this week and we have both Thursday and Friday off next week and the week of New Years.

Don’t let Victor’s prognosis get you down. Everyone heals at a different rate and IMO you have come along remarkably well. I am sure you toe slowed down your progress with your ROM and your ankle. The stress of your toe and ankle certainly could have triggered some of your skin breakouts. Hang in there, Missy. All of it will get better. I think you’ll know when you are ready to go back to work and you shouldn’t go back until you feel it is right.

Rainwood, you and Missy would have a blast together if you visit NYC!

Azstonie, give Finn a hug for me. Wow, small world your husband is from Riverton and attended UW. That is where I graduated from too. You nailed it on the description of Wyoming – some really beautiful areas and others not so much. Yes, those afternoon thunderstorms can be something.

Hi Ovi! Sorry to hear things have been crazy for you. I am glad you got your laptop fixed. I hate to hear you and your mom aren’t feeling well. Get better PS dust coming your way! I hope things settle down and get better for you real soon. I am glad you had a fun day at the Outlet Mall and found some great things to bring home with you.

Callie, your poor niece, dealing with all of this at a young age is tough. I hope she isn’t getting sick too. Marty gets home Friday night. Yesterday I baked Christmas peanut M&M cookies (I put them in lieu of chocolate chips in my chocolate chip cookie recipe).

LLJsmom, definitely keep your eye on the road when you are driving even though your gorgeous ring is begging for your attention. You can admire it at stoplights.

We didn’t get much snow yesterday and last night but it was sure cold and windy here today. My new Land’s End coat kept me toasty warm though.

Take care.
Have a great day tomorrow.
Marcy

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Missy and Kristie, Well so much for the peri menopause having anything to do with your skin problems. It's been 4 years for me. Missy you are so lucky you sailed thru it. I still have hot flashes and Kristie my hair and skin both got much drier. I remember standing outside in 10 degrees below 0 weather trying to cool off and sleeping with ice packs. I condition the heck out of my hair which has really helped. So many of my friends really put weight on when they were going thru peri menopause and menopause. I'm just thankful I haven't gained weight but my body definately changed.

Missy, My niece decided she wants money for Christmas. She said she has a couple pair of boots she bought this year and needs more clothes. She wants to hit all the after Christmas sales. We will probably go downtown shopping.

Marcy, You have been really busy! Has work been crazy or has it been quieter with the holidays approaching. How nice that both you and Marty are taking sometime off around the holidays. My husband is taking the week of Christmas and New Years off. We had talked about getting away for a few days after Christmas but decided to stay home. I'm just glad he gets to take some time off.

Is everyone done with their holiday shopping?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

I'm sorry I've been out of it. Work is sooo busy and I'm trying to take pictures. As you all know, that is a full time job.

Will post this weekend after I meet the deadlines. Hope everyone has a good week. xoxoxo

P.S. Callie, you crack me UP!! Don't worry. I took only 10-12 pictures in the car today, and only at stoplights. ;-) I got home safely. And I'm working from home tomorrow, so no worries.

(((hug))) everyone!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies. :wavey:

Marcy, your pb fudge sounds delicious and do be careful with the knife. From one klutz to another lol.

I'm glad you are taking a few days off so you can enjoy the holidays with some R&R. I am glad you are enjoying your new Land's End coat. They make super warm winter coats. My first down coat ever was from LE and it is still a workhorse to this day.

Just a few more days till Marty comes back home I think....it will be here before you know it and we are here to keep you company don't forget. :bigsmile:

Kristie, funny that was almost exactly the time I had my last period too. We are on the same (non) cycle lol. I guess hanging out on PS is almost the same as being in the same dorm. You know when girls cycles coordinate while hanging out together haha. So far I do not miss getting my period though I admit I was not thrilled to be done at so young (relatively speaking that is) an age and what that means in general but hey it's nice to be free and unencumbered regarding periods or lack thereof so there is some good there.

The aloe I was using for my hair pre shampoo prep was from the health food store and is Lily of the Valley Aloe Vera whole leaf gel:
http://www.vitacost.com/lily-of-the-desert-aloe-vera-gel-whole-leaf-128-fl-oz-2?csrc=GPF-PA-Herbs%20%26%20Botanicals-026395201280&ci_gpa=pla_with_promotion&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=026395201280&gclid=CMPVuLLZysICFcFr7AodTxIA1w

Luckily my hair didn't fall out so maybe it is just my skin sensitivity and my scalp is fine to continue using it. I like how it feels and it gives my hair more body. Or perhaps I shouldn't push my luck...

Callie, your niece will find something perfect for her I am sure with the cash. I always appreciated receiving cash for gifts when I was younger because then I could get *exactly* what I wanted and I was/am very picky so it was (and still is lol) always the best solution for my gifts.

I am sorry you had a lot to deal with going through peri menopause and are still dealing with hot flashes. That sucks Callie and I hope they are not too bad now. My gyn was surprised I didn't experience any hot flashes though she did say they could still happen at any time. Oh the joys of being a woman lol. Sending cool hugs your way Callie!

I am fairly certain my skin issues have everything to do with the weather/season change and not much to do with any stress because my stress levels were pretty low comparatively speaking at least. I was in a good place in October compared to June/July/August and I was finally seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Reading up on seborrheic dermatitis and knowing all I do about rosacea when the weather changes flares happen. I don't know why all 3 of the conditions had to occur together but it happened. I woke up with my face hurting and irritated and not looking good but I am doing my best not to stress though it is hard.

We have a family gathering this Sunday and I am so not looking forward to it now. My mom keeps the house too warm and I am also going to see my aunt and uncle who I don't feel like seeing especially when my skin is flaring. It just is though and I cannot change these facts and I don't expect any advice just venting.

I am in a not great mood this morning most likely because of my skin and I am resisting the urge to apply topical steroids. My derm told me not to but oh I so badly want relief and they give it even if it is temporary and harmful in the long run. I have always been a long run sort of girl but these days I wonder if it would just be best to live in the moment entirely without any thought to repercussions. I am at that point almost...

LLJsmom, good luck with work and don't worry about us. We are all enjoying gazing at your beautiful ring and how gorgeous it looks on your lovely hand! :love: I'm with Callie though-no more pictures in the car while you are driving. Even if you are stopped at stoplights. Careful now. There is plenty of time for picture taking when you are not in the driver's seat. :cheeky:
Looking forward to more pics when you have time and (((hugs))) to you too.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know what you mean about parents keeping the house too warm, Missy, my father sits around all day and ranks up the heat because he's "cold" while my mom and I did all the cooking and cleaning and hosting activities and we DIED from the heat in there. Before I ended contact with them in their house I used to just sneak over to the thermostats and rank them DOWN while I was there.

When you and Greg start thinking about where you would want to retire to, think about the weather and your skin?

When I lived in Juneau (rained 366 days per year) my skin was beautiful, all that moisture all the time. When I lived in Anchorage same thing although it could get really cold in the winter and I noticed a lot of my friends who'd lived there longer were showing red faces and broken capillaries too and I always wondered if it was from the cold. Now that I live in Arizona I run humidifiers 24/7 and I moisturize aggressively.

Now I'm trying to figure out which kind of laser to go with for my facial skin, I have the very mild rosacea and some broken capillaries around my nose and the crease in my chin and I want those gone!

Anyone done lasering on their face?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom: Shout out to you---re the blahs/down mood, I have had a struggle with this the last 5 years and I got results from taking magnesium glycinate (needs to be glycinate, the other lesser forms of magnesium serve as largely a laxative and aren't really bioavailable to you) and fish oil. I started with 400 mg of magnesium glycinate and titrated up to 800. Surprisingly, the stiffness in my hands went away at that dose too. With the fish oil, I started at 1000 mg daily and titrated to 2000-3000 mg, took it with food, I used the Minami brand, its certified and pure. KAL makes a magnesium glycinate and also Doctor's Best makes a good magnesium glycinate supplement.

I got two great book that helped me more than the counseling I went through at that time, it is:

Why Am I Still Depressed...by Jim Phelps, MD (This book was recommended by a psychiatrist at the Clinic to a patient in his 20s and I really respected that doc so I ordered it on Amazon---don't be put off by the title, the concept is that 'feeling' happens along a mood spectrum and the goal is to keep yourself at a spot on the spectrum where you are functional and 'happy').

and

The 10 Best-Ever Depression Management Techniques by Margaret Wehrenberg (there is also a version for Anxiety, which is now being thought of as NOT separate from depression or vice versa).

I believe in the mood spectrum approach and also that depression and anxiety are not separate and are located on that mood spectrum pretty close to each other.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1418745892|3802288 said:
I know what you mean about parents keeping the house too warm, Missy, my father sits around all day and ranks up the heat because he's "cold" while my mom and I did all the cooking and cleaning and hosting activities and we DIED from the heat in there. Before I ended contact with them in their house I used to just sneak over to the thermostats and rank them DOWN while I was there.

When you and Greg start thinking about where you would want to retire to, think about the weather and your skin?

When I lived in Juneau (rained 366 days per year) my skin was beautiful, all that moisture all the time. When I lived in Anchorage same thing although it could get really cold in the winter and I noticed a lot of my friends who'd lived there longer were showing red faces and broken capillaries too and I always wondered if it was from the cold. Now that I live in Arizona I run humidifiers 24/7 and I moisturize aggressively.

Now I'm trying to figure out which kind of laser to go with for my facial skin, I have the very mild rosacea and some broken capillaries around my nose and the crease in my chin and I want those gone!

Anyone done lasering on their face?

I can just picture what you had to go through and I do the same. Always sneaking to push the heat down when I am there but my mom is wise to me lol. With us it's my mom and the heat though my sister and BIL are not far behind. I swear they have to eat more because they are always cold. :((

Haha, first of all I want to live anywhere that has 366 days per year...or do I given my current situation hmmm. :think:
I would love to hear about living in Alaska. It is so beautiful there though I could not tolerate the cold so living there would be out for me. I enjoy visiting though!

I think about the weather all the time and where to retire. I know that if we could (financially and family wise) retire in Southern California I'd do that in a sec. Only in a temperate climate would my skin behave. What exacerbates my rosacea is change in temperature and going from warm to cold and vice versa. I actually do best in summer as outdoor natural heat rarely aggravates my rosacea whereas indoor dry heating is the worst for it. Winter is skin wise my most challenging season usually.

I had Candela VBeam Perfecta for the first 2 years of my rosacea struggle. I had no visible blood vessels on my face rather they were trying to destroy/shrink them to help diminish the flushing and subsequent burning that happened when I flushed. It helped but only minimally and not worth the down time and expense though insurance actually did help with some of the cost as my flushing/burning was severe. I had to take around 10 days off from work for each session as my face was a mass of purple bruises for 30 days but after 10 days I could cover most of it with makeup. Anyway I did that every 3-6 months for 2 years and it was not fun.

The most important factor you need to consider is the doctor you choose. He or she will make the best recommendation for you as what laser or IPL would be best to remove your visible facial blood vessels. As you know there is always a risk with any procedure and personally if I wasn't desperate at the time I wouldn't have done the laser but fortunately I had no scarring from it. It just took a long time to heal fully. I know you will do your due diligence though Kristie so I am not worried you won't know all the risks associated with it.

You may find these Q&A's helpful. It's a lot of info but well worth reading if you are considering having laser or IPL. Good luck and I am here if you need me though it has been a while since I have done my research in this area.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Peter_Crouch_Jan_2012.php

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Peter_Crouch_Fifth_Interview.php

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Peter_Crouch_Second_Interview.php

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Peter_Crouch_Third_Interview.php

http://rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Peter_Crouch_Fourth_Interview.php

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/QandA/Dr_Nicholas_Soldo.php

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Girls,

Missy, I'm sorry your face isn't feeling well today. The itching would drive me crazy too. I tend to agree with you regarding the stress levels. I can't imagine a more stressful time than last summer for you and your skin was fine. Close friends of ours live in Houston and she said her skin has never looked better since moving their due to the humidity. Of course I don't think there is such a thing as a good hair day when you live there.

I'm sure you'll have a good time at your mom's on Sunday. Everyone will be happy to see you and no one will probably even notice your face is acting up a but. Seriously, they are your family. They could care less and really isn't spending the time together all that matters.
If you start feeling stressed have a glass of wine. Will your nieces be there too? They are the best medicine. They will have you laughing in a matter of minutes.

Count yourself lucky with the hot flashes. I never thought I'd have them because my mom never got them. The doctor put me on low dose hormones a few years ago because they were awful. Everytime I try to go off them the flashes come back with a vengeance. One of my friends used to think I was crazy when I would tell her about them. Then low and behold about 3 months later she began to get them too. I'll never forget her saying she didn't find them nearly as funny once they were happening to her.

Kristie, I hear you regarding the temperature in our parents homes. My dad lives in Florida and the last time we were there it was 70 and beautiful outside. They had some fireplace thing going the whole time. We stayed in a hotel. It had to 85 degrees in that house.

LLJSmom, Don't worry we will be here when work slows down. I'Ve looked at the picture 20 times since Saturday. I hope your are enjoying your ring as much as the rest of us are! Although you know there is no such thing as too many pictures of that beauty.

Marcy, Your fudge sounds wonderful!! How was work today?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Callie, hot flashes do sound awful. I am so sorry you are still experiencing them. My aunt still gets them (and she went through menopause probably over 10 years ago) and OMG she gets soaked through and through though that doesn't happen often anymore fortunately.

Yes, you are so right go figure. Last summer my skin looked perfect and that was probably one of the most stressful times of my life. I think my body was putting all its energy into healing my leg and there was nothing left to cause chaos for my face haha.

Honestly I would happily switch any (very far and few between in any case!) good hair days for good skin days. My face is so itchy and I am aware of it with a low level discomfort almost all the time lately.

My nieces will be there Sunday so that's good. The wine however is out. I was never a big wine drinker anyway but after I developed rosacea any wine causes a huge flush so I gave it up. No biggie for me. Kristie's Atarax rec is looking better and better LOL.

I need pb fudge. :devil: The kicker is that I really can only have bad foods in low doses because of my skin issues. But do not feel sorry for me think about how healthy I am because I have to be. :halo:

How are you doing today Callie? Any decision regarding the rings? Has your dh made any suggestions? I hope you had a good day. How is your friend who lost her job recently doing?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, So funny you asked about the ring. I keep looking at the picture, which is fine because I don't like the picture of the ring at all. So right now I'm thinking I will pass but I know darn well once I see it in person again I will feel differently. My husband told me last night that he is on to me. He said he knows I'm waiting for him to tell me to just buy that one too. He says he's not going to say it this time because he knows I'll want another ring 3 months from now. I know he's right. I will definately want another one in a few months. Heck, I always want another ring! Nothing new there. Ask me again on Friday. I can't get to the store until Friday. I'm sure I'll put it on layaway and pay it off in a couple of months. He won't even notice a new ring. This is the jewelry equivalent of hiding clothes in the trunk of the car. I used to be very quilty of this one when I was working. He told me one Saturday he was going golfing so I better sneak my clothes in the closet. It was starting to look like a store in my trunk. He was laughing and asked how I really thought I was hiding anything when he was the one who did the bills.

My friend who lost her job had much more important things on her mind. Her daughter who is a couple months pregnant had to be rushed to the hospital on Sunday. She could hardly walk or talk all if a sudden. They thought she was having a stroke. Luckily it turned out to be a migraine and her daughter is fine. She said she would start looking for a job after the holidays.

It's funny you said wine makes your face red. It does the same thing to me. My face gets very flush and my nose gets red after one glass. I very rarely drink. Maybe a couple times per year and never have more than 2 drinks when I drink. I seriously can feel even one glass of wine and I don't like that feeling. If I have a drink, I'd prefer something that doesn't taste like alcohol.

Please don't tell me your aunt has had hot flashes for 10 years. I know I'm lucky as I don't get drenched from them but I still don't like them. Going thru menopause was terrible for me. I didn't sleep for about a year. I'm so glad that only lasted about a year. They put me on Ambien which caused a deep depression for me. After 3 mos they took me off the ambien and the depression disappeared within two days. They had no idea the depression was caused by the Ambien until they took me off it. It was really scary.

You seem like you have so much self control when it comes to food. I can do wonderful as long as I don't have bad stuff in them house. Ice cream is my downfall. I never buy it because I can eat a whole half gallon in two days. I wish I could eat a small amount and just put it away.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my, how scary. I am relieved your friend's daughter is OK. It puts everything in perspective that's for sure. She has good reason to be thankful that her daughter is well and I can imagine she couldn't care less about the job now.

I assure you I am not perfect when it comes to self control. I do eat out of stress and worry though I might be more careful than most because of my rosacea (and now seb derm) as there are definitely triggers for rosacea. Wine, chocolate, dairy etc. I miss dairy (ice cream!) and sometimes have chocolate with peanut butter but I know I shouldn't. And like you if I have trigger foods that I love in the house I just might eat them so I try not keeping those foods in the house. I only have so much self control. :rodent:
And ice cream was my downfall too before I had to stop eating it because of the rosacea. I miss that most of all. :((

Haha that is what I suspected. He knew you wanted both lol. Our men are not that innocent and clueless after all haha. Well see how you feel about it on Friday. There should be no pressure here. If you love it great easy peasy. If you are unsure there is no need to get it. There will be other bling you fall in love with either way.

LOL on you hiding the clothes and your dh knowing anyway. He seems OK with it though so probably no more hiding is necessary in your future though I like your layaway plan for the jewelry. :bigsmile:
I never hid clothes or anything from Greg but that's mainly because there would be no fun in it for me. He doesn't care about what I buy and never says no to any purchase. But that means I have to curb my shopping compulsion because I could do major damage since I have no obstacles in my way. (I just bought 5 more dresses...Callie I have a problem! I haven't worn most of the dresses I purchased these last few months. OMG.) So far the only thing he has said no about is if we can adopt another kitten or 2 or a puppy. He is quite definite in the NO about that. ;(

Don't worry about the hot flashes lasting a decade. My aunt is unique in every way and I seriously doubt you would have them that long and they certainly wouldn't be as strong as when you first experienced them. Hers are much better now. I am really sorry you suffered so with sleeping and the ambien. That med can be serious. I took it for a long while myself but never had any weird symptoms though sleep was just not restful for me on it and ultimately I stopped taking all sleeping meds.

I hope your niece is doing better today. Let us know how it goes with her and also what she ends up purchasing for the holidays as your gift to her.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, you are too funny. You are so talking to the right person about dresses. I have no idea how many I have it closet that I still haven't worn. I ordered two skirts last night that were on sale for $26. They were a final sale and I didn't know what size I would take so I ordered both sizes. I'm hoping the larger size doesn't fit because I could give it to one of my girlfriends or niece if that's the case. It would look adorable with boots! You aren't alone. If I find a style dress that I love and know fits great I always buy at least 2. See, you are not alone. No judgement here!

I was first married whenI hid the clothes in the trunk. I've been married over 20 years. He could really care less. Although he has said instead of buying clothes I don't wear, he'd rather I save the money for jewelry purchases.

When you first injured your leg I so wished I could have sent my dog to you for a day or two. She loves to cuddle and never wants to leave my side. I remember thinking she would be able to cheer you up. She really is so sweet.

I had asked the doctor a few times if the depression could be from the ambien when I was taking it and was always told no. I know that was causing the depression. It completely disappeared when I stopped taking it. I always cringe a little when I hear some has started taking it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I just read the antique jewelry show I wanted to attend in April has been cancelled. It looks like they only cancelled the Chicago show. :angryfire:

Zlata

Rough_Rock
Hi all! :wavey:

Just a quick post to say hope everyone's doing well and wanted to add~

Restless leg syndrome & rosacea! I never knew they were connected and I do have somewhat regular, but mild bouts of RLS. I take Natural Vitality Natural Magnesium Calm regularly and it works well to control it. Bonus: Magnesium is good for the skin!

Aloe vera--Missy, I think the citric acid may be causing the problem. I find AV fairly drying, so don't use it on my face but do have a kitchen aloe that has most certainly prevented scarring more than once--as long as I apply immediately after the burn. (I can be a bit of a klutz in the kitchen when boiling water.)

Am going to look into the fermented vegetables. That sounds great!

Alcohol: Yes, red, white, and fortified wine all make my cheeks flush. Gin, on the other hand, has no effect whatsoever on my face...luckily. :Up_to_something:

Have a great evening and thanks so much!
Z

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies!

Callie, I wish I could catch hot flashes. I am always cold. Of course everyone who’s had them tell me I really don’t want to get them. That is great you husband has time off around the holidays. I think staying home a relaxing is a special treat as well. How are you doing on your holiday shopping? After Christmas shopping with your niece will be a lot of fun. We are still pretty busy at work and the next 2 weeks will be very hectic getting a week of work done in 3 days. Decisions, decisions on whether to buy another ring. I can’t offer you advice on that; I’ve got about 3 near rings since I swore off buying anything else this year. I am glad your friend’s daughter was okay. That is very scary!

LLJsmom, I am glad you made it home okay but you might have to spin your diamond to the inside to keep from blinding yourself in sunlight. Don’t work too hard and enjoy your beautiful ring. I’ll look forward to more pictures.

Missy, I was quite proud of cupping up the PB fudge without injuring myself. I am not surprised you still have your down coat from Land’s End. Their stuff wears like iron. All of my coats are Land’s End. My jacket is rated one of their warmest and I can’t stand to wear it in a store; I get so darned warm in it. The other jacket I’ve been wearing is one of the polar fleeces. It is pretty warm but doesn’t quite cut some of the biting Wyoming wind. So I wanted something in between. I ordered one of their down vests too. It was on sale; how could I pass it up? Marty gets home Friday night and I can hardly wait. I am glad you will keep me company in the mean time. I am sure you’ll have fun at the family Christmas once you get there and see everyone. You family will love to see you!

Azstonie, it’s funny you mention the humidity in Arizona. I think it’s more humid there than Wyoming and we pretty much have none here. My skin would sure love the moisture in rainy Juneau.

Ziata, it is interesting how different minerals and vitamins can help our bodies. Marty used to have RLS really bad but he’s better now. That’s good that gin doesn’t make your cheeks flush.

I stopped at the store on my way home so didn’t cook my supper until late. Then I finished a book. I boycotted my Christmas list tonight.

Have a great day tomorrow.
Marcy

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys,

Azstonie, you rock! I love all this info you are sharing. I do believe that your skin can be a reflection of a lot of stuff going on. I'm super stressed right now, and my face is going to look ugly and haggard for this whole week. Oh well, I'll just stare at my ring.

Missy, girl hang in there... Work the hell out of that reformer and do what you gotta do to keep the spirits up.

I'm binging on cool ranch doritos and homemade guac to keep my awake, working, and not overly stressed (until I step on the scale that is).

Everyone, it's great to read of about your lives. I swear I will catch up soon. I go snap a couple more photos when I feel like I wanna explode.

Btw, I posted more pics. I'm getting pretty proud of my pictures now.

Ok, off to get maybe 5 hours, if I'm lucky. I swear I just got a message that they need something by 9 am. REALLY!?!?!? :errrr: And tell me now? At midnight the night before? Sure, that's plenty of time. THANKS.

Happy Wednesday!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good morning ladies!

Callie, I cannot believe they canceled the antique jewelry show this April. :(( Did they say why? I am sorry because I know how much you were looking forward to it.

Maybe a trip here (july 2015 and autumn 2015) for some bling viewing is in order...and then we can spend time at the beach house if you make the trip. Everyone is invited. :wavey:

http://www.newyorkantiquejewelryandwatchshow.com

http://www.nyfallshow.com

I would have loved having your sweet puppy here to keep me company when I was not weight bearing. I am sure she would have cheered me right up!

Hi Zlata, that's interesting about the citric acid. The aloe drops that touched my arm caused 2 raised welts that lasted for several hours. Weird. I wonder if the aloe straight from the leaf would have not caused that reaction.

I agree about the gin observation. In the summer I will occasionally have a Tanqueray and tonic and it is very refreshing and flush free.

Callie, in case you are interested one of the reasons you may flush from the wine is you may be lacking or have an alteration in the necessary digestive enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) gene to metabolize/oxidize the alcohol. Also when you drink alcohol histamine can be released and ALDH works to reduce histamine so if you are lacking it or have an alteration in this gene you can also experience allergy like symptoms like nasal congestion, flushing and headache.

My solution is stick to gin. :cheeky:

Marcy, as you know I LOVE a good sale. In fact my BIL has a saying that I find to be quite true as well as funny. He likes to say my family is going broke by saving money by shopping at Costco. LOL. Funny but some truth in it. I know I find myself buying things that are on sale that I would not have ordinarily bought. Oh well I guess the psychology of it all really works on the consumer. At least we are doing our part to stimulate the economy haha.

I am glad you were successful in completing the pb fudge. I know Marty will appreciate it when he comes home. I am not sure I would be able to resist finishing it all and have it last until Friday though. :cheeky:

Kristie and Zlata, how much magnesium do you guys take? I take around 400 mg a day (Magnesium Citrate-I thought that was a good Magnesium re bioavailability in the body) and I am wondering if that is enough.

LLJsmom, I cannot believe work contacted you at midnight wanting something completed by 9AM. What if you were already sleeping and didn't get the message? Crazy. I hope you were able to easily finish it and managed to get some quality sleep too! Good luck today and I hope work is calmer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, How are you feeling today?

Neiman Marcus is having a 25% off sale on boots and booties going on now. Many Stuart Weitzman styles to choose from. Nothing like a new pair of boots to brighten a girls day!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kids:

Magnesium citrate is the 'lowest' form of magnesium and is not bioavailable for anything much more than as a laxative.

You want magnesium glycinate (KAL or Doctor's Best, which has the added advantage of being chelated). I take 800-1000 mg daily depending on stiffness in my leg/hands and mood status. I take 400 in the morning and 400 before bed as it helps with sleep onset.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results