shape
carat
color
clarity

Now I really did it :((

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you MissGotRocks. You do get me and it truly helps. That is exactly how I am feeling. And I too envy those who are carefree and easy. That is not me but I am doing my best to put things in perspective and take them in stride right now as there is little else I can do. Why drive myself crazy as it won't change anything. Thank you for your understanding and reassurance. Fingers crossed and mind set on hopeful for the best possible outcome. And in the meantime I will try not to drive myself bonkers. :loopy:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I hope you are doing well today. Miss Got Rocks post really got to me as well. So much of what she said is so true. unfortunately only us true worry warts and anxious people can understand. I have a sister in law who calls herself the queen of denial. It used to bother me to hear her talk as if nothing bad could ever happen. Now I just wish I could be like that. I've worried for years about so many things that were not in my control and it really is pointless. Life happens and all we can do is pick ourselves up and move on. You have been doing that the past few weeks and with so much grace. You should be so proud of yourself.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1406921001|3724585 said:
Hi Missy, I hope you are doing well today. Miss Got Rocks post really got to me as well. So much of what she said is so true. unfortunately only us true worry warts and anxious people can understand. I have a sister in law who calls herself the queen of denial. It used to bother me to hear her talk as if nothing bad could ever happen. Now I just wish I could be like that. I've worried for years about so many things that were not in my control and it really is pointless. Life happens and all we can do is pick ourselves up and move on. You have been doing that the past few weeks and with so much grace. You should be so proud of yourself.

You are right Calliecake - she has had a terrible thing happen in her life and she is moving forward every day. It's not easy for sure but she is getting there!

Anxiety is a curse that robs you of the joy of life. If there is a bad storm coming, I'm apt to decide that the power will be knocked out, a huge tree or something will fall on our house and I might be right under where it fell. My husband counters with how do you know it will fall on OUR house? It happens for sure but assuming that it will happen here is ludicrous. It's just that too much of my life has been governed by fear and I feel that I have to face all of the bad stuff before it happens. As I said earlier, the truth is that none of that stuff happens - it's the out of right field stuff that actually happens and I never saw it coming anyway. I do believe we have the power of choice though - we can continue to think of only the bad stuff and wait and stew for it to come or we can choose to believe that no matter what happens, we'll get through it. It sounds easy but is hard to put into practice. Practice makes perfect though so I keep plugging away at positive thinking. I've come to realize that no one can change my thoughts or attitude but me so I'm working on it! I share this because I truly care for the people that suffer from being anxious and worrying. You can only hope that maybe some little tidbit you share helps someone else. Life is a learning curve after all!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1406924002|3724604 said:
Calliecake|1406921001|3724585 said:

You are right Calliecake - she has had a terrible thing happen in her life and she is moving forward every day. It's not easy for sure but she is getting there!

Anxiety is a curse that robs you of the joy of life. If there is a bad storm coming, I'm apt to decide that the power will be knocked out, a huge tree or something will fall on our house and I might be right under where it fell. My husband counters with how do you know it will fall on OUR house? It happens for sure but assuming that it will happen here is ludicrous. It's just that too much of my life has been governed by fear and I feel that I have to face all of the bad stuff before it happens. As I said earlier, the truth is that none of that stuff happens - it's the out of right field stuff that actually happens and I never saw it coming anyway. I do believe we have the power of choice though - we can continue to think of only the bad stuff and wait and stew for it to come or we can choose to believe that no matter what happens, we'll get through it. It sounds easy but is hard to put into practice. Practice makes perfect though so I keep plugging away at positive thinking. I've come to realize that no one can change my thoughts or attitude but me so I'm working on it! I share this because I truly care for the people that suffer from being anxious and worrying. You can only hope that maybe some little tidbit you share helps someone else. Life is a learning curve after all!

Hi Callie and MGR, I had a lovely day today. The pain was much less and I didn't take any pain meds yet today. Though I probably will take one before bed as I can feel the pain intensifying and it might help me sleep.

My girlfriend visited this afternoon and it was very enjoyable. My friend is full of positive energy and good vibes and it is infectious. :appl: Then Greg came home and got to join our exciting conversation. All my friends love Greg.

I also got a new bathing suit (so I'm ready when I can get into the pool so perhaps a bit premature but hey I like shopping what can I say lol) and I just tried it on after dinner and it fits so woohoo. I ordered it online from Macy's and I was just taking a chance since I have no clue what size bathing suit to order as the last swimwear I bought was a long while ago. Not sure I will still be able to fit into it when the time for swimming comes but a girl can hope.

I completely agree we have to work hard to remain positive and we are in control of how we feel. MGR, you are so right. Anxiety and worry do rob us of our joie de vivre and it can be poison. So while I think it is OK to have a good cry every now and then you have to pick yourself up and dust yourself on and move forward. That's exactly what I intend to continue doing. Thank you again for understanding and for your encouragement. (((Hugs))) to you both.

All in all a much better day than yesterday.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent for the news and the new bathing suit! So glad you had a good day - here's to many more for you!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy, I am so glad to hear you had a lovely day with less pain. It sounds like you had a great time visiting with your friend today. That is always a wonderful way to pass the time. As so many have said I believe we have the ability to steer our thoughts in either a positive or negative direction. Yes, sometimes it’s hard but it does all boil down to our own thoughts and beliefs.

Sweet that your new bathing suit fits and you’ll be ready to go when you can go swimming. Something to look forward to in a few weeks.

I wouldn’t worry about the amount of pills you are taking right now – they will become less necessary as time goes by. What I always hear it is better to take the pain meds before you start hurting too bad.

It is hard not to let your mind wander to places like maybe my plates are broken but I am sure your body’s pain is a reaction is both to the breaks starting to heal and your bones getting used to the plates they put in there to repair them. If something feels really abnormal it doesn’t hurt to call and ask but your body usually tells you what’s going on – even though I tend to ignore it. :bigsmile:

Hang in there lady! :wavey:

Marcy

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Hurray! Progress has been made :) I am happy for you, Missy.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Sending some more healing dust your way! :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1406944133|3724742 said:
Excellent for the news and the new bathing suit! So glad you had a good day - here's to many more for you!!

Thank you so much again MissGotRocks. It's funny how even the little things can bring some joy. Have a great weekend and I appreciate the pep talk!

marcy said:
Hi Missy, I am so glad to hear you had a lovely day with less pain. It sounds like you had a great time visiting with your friend today. That is always a wonderful way to pass the time. As so many have said I believe we have the ability to steer our thoughts in either a positive or negative direction. Yes, sometimes it’s hard but it does all boil down to our own thoughts and beliefs.

Sweet that your new bathing suit fits and you’ll be ready to go when you can go swimming. Something to look forward to in a few weeks.

I wouldn’t worry about the amount of pills you are taking right now – they will become less necessary as time goes by. What I always hear it is better to take the pain meds before you start hurting too bad.

It is hard not to let your mind wander to places like maybe my plates are broken but I am sure your body’s pain is a reaction is both to the breaks starting to heal and your bones getting used to the plates they put in there to repair them. If something feels really abnormal it doesn’t hurt to call and ask but your body usually tells you what’s going on – even though I tend to ignore it. :bigsmile:

Hang in there lady! :wavey:

Marcy

Hello Marcy, how are you? I am keeping up the good thoughts and even when the pain might be bringing me down I am going to focus on the fact that it will pass eventually. I had an acquaintance call me last night and it was a nice chat. She had a full body cast (from neck down to hips) in the 90's and had to wear it for 9 whole months! She was able to walk with it on though and believe it or not she went to work (!!!) (editor at a Conde Nast publication at the time). What a trooper she was/is! LOL makes me feel like a slug. But anyway she is going to try to help me find some reputable physical therapists and she also gave me a name of a place that does aqua therapy in the East 90's. I won't be swimming per se but instead doing controlled movements with my leg under water if this pans out. Not sure how difficult it is getting into a place with aqua therapy because believe it or not NYC doesn't seem to have that many aqua therapy places.

I am looking forward to a visit from one of my long time friends today. We've been friends for over 30 years and though we have spoken on the phone almost every day he hasn't been to visit me yet since the accident since he travels quite a bit. Should be a nice visit though I know my dh hopes my friend doesn't talk about work politics and sports the whole visit lol. Those are my friend's 2 passions. I will try to focus the conversation elsewhere. ;))

I hope you have a lovely weekend and thank you for your continued good cheer!

Resonance.Of.Life said:
Hurray! Progress has been made :) I am happy for you, Missy.

Thank you Resonance Of Life. I so appreciate that and I do feel all the warmth and good wishes of my fellow PSers. Thank you and enjoy the weekend!

Sky56 said:
Sending some more healing dust your way! :))

Thank you Sky. I hope all is well on your end and have a nice weekend!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is how this is supposed to go, the "standard of care," if you will. Surgeon/Physiatrist Perspective:

1. Evaluation. Is the injury appropriate for surgery? If so, is the patient a low or medium risk surgical candidate? If yes, schedule surgery. If not, pass patient to different department.
2. Surgery. Do the necessary repairs, don't screw up or make it worse. Try not to give the patient MRSA.
3. Postoperative, make sure incisions are healing and the patient does not mess up your surgical artistry/engineering.
4. Incisions FULLY healed? No infection? X-Rays show healing fractures in proper alignment, no loosening of plates or screws? Only then may you proceed to a physiatrist, who will design your physical therapy program down to the smallest detail, write the prescription of same, and refer you to the right PT/facility.

This is the correct order; accept nothing less. You require expert care, you are not postop carpal tunnel or a knee or shoulder replacement. You cannot have some PT hack flailing around on you.

Pain is managed by you or it manages you. Period the end. You cannot beat it back without serious problems once it's out of control.

Missy, please don't forego step 4 or let anyone skip this for you.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I can't believe how few pain pills you have been able to get by with. From what you what you had posted it does seem that you were never taking even close to the allowed amount. I do understand how you felt about the pain meds. I do not like the way they make me feel. I like to feel in complete control at all times. I really do not like feeling out of it, which is how they make me feel.

Having your friends visit is a such a great distraction for you. I'm so glad you had such a nice time. You can tell by your posts how much you truly enjoy their visits. Did your other friend come by today? Did Greg have a nice time or did he talk sports and work politics?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I am good. Thank you for asking. How are you doing? I think you are doing a great job at keeping up your spirits. Wow, I am amazed your friend was able to walk when she was in a body cast. I have an image in my head of the poor thing walking without her knees or arms bending. I am sure I’d be making cheesy comments like “I’m going around all plastered”. Of course I am easily entertained. I am sure 9 months seemed like a long time when she was in that cast. That is awesome she is going to help you find some good PT and get you lined up with some aquatic exercises. It is always good to find someone who has been through this type of therapy and can recommend places that worked for them.

Did you have a nice visit with your friend? Were you able to steer the topic away from politics and sports? A really good friend of mine has completely opposite political beliefs from me – we learned a long time ago to never discuss politics.

I was certainly a slug today. I was up until midnight getting laundry done. DH is off on a business trip for 2 weeks so I had to wash as many of his clothes as I could. My uncle woke me up bright and early about 6:30. He’s on ET and I’m on MT, I was going to ask him “do you ever check the local time before you call someone?” but I hated to be rude. My husband left for the airport about noon. All I did today was read, do dishes, bake a batch of cookies and walk over to the mailbox.

Tomorrow I am going jewelry shopping. My sister wants earrings and a pendant. That will be fun!

I hope you have a good night’s sleep!
Marcy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1407021526|3725113 said:
Here is how this is supposed to go, the "standard of care," if you will. Surgeon/Physiatrist Perspective:

1. Evaluation. Is the injury appropriate for surgery? If so, is the patient a low or medium risk surgical candidate? If yes, schedule surgery. If not, pass patient to different department.
2. Surgery. Do the necessary repairs, don't screw up or make it worse. Try not to give the patient MRSA.
3. Postoperative, make sure incisions are healing and the patient does not mess up your surgical artistry/engineering.
4. Incisions FULLY healed? No infection? X-Rays show healing fractures in proper alignment, no loosening of plates or screws? Only then may you proceed to a physiatrist, who will design your physical therapy program down to the smallest detail, write the prescription of same, and refer you to the right PT/facility.

This is the correct order; accept nothing less. You require expert care, you are not postop carpal tunnel or a knee or shoulder replacement. You cannot have some PT hack flailing around on you.

Pain is managed by you or it manages you. Period the end. You cannot beat it back without serious problems once it's out of control.

Missy, please don't forego step 4 or let anyone skip this for you.

Thanks Azstonie.
I am confused because my surgeon originally wanted me to do home PT for another 3 weeks before I start "real" PT but of course no weight bearing exercises. But the home physical therapists from the Visiting Nurse service in my area are not the best or even IMO competent. Not to disparage anyone's profession at all but this is just my experience with the visiting PTs in my area and from discussions with others their experience too.

So should I go out for PT just for the passive exercises or try them the best I can at home forgoing the pushing on the foot for ankle movement and flexibility because I don't want my dh to have that responsibility since neither of us know how safe it is to push/put pressure on it that way. But I can still move my ankle every day as best I can without physically pushing it though not sure I can regain the movement and range of motion I need that way.

I am very confused as you can tell because I don't want to do any harm but I also don't want to do too little and make it that much harder to regain my functioning back. Going out takes a lot out of me more than I realized. With the last 2 doctor's visits (July 24 and 31) when I got back home I was in lots of pain and completely exhausted for well over a day each time. So do I risk finding a place to do the passive PT exercises and go out for them or just continue doing the best I can myself at home and then when the month is up go out for PT that is more than just the passive exercises?

And thank you for reminding me about not letting the pain get out of control. I am a stubborn person sometimes to my detriment thinking I can tough it out when in reality I am being foolish. It's just sometimes I can tough it out and I just don't know when I can and cannot because the pain has a way of fooling me. At times it starts getting bad but then I don't take anything hoping it will dissipate and it does and at other times it starts getting bad and I don't take anything hoping for it to lessen in intensity but it increases to the point where one pill doesn't touch it and 2 makes me nauseous. So in a way I am trying to play the odds it will get better before I take anything when in reality there is just no way of knowing which way it will go...

Good news is that I didn't take the Oxycodone yesterday (Saturday) though I was in some pain I took a chance and only took 1000 mg Tylenol midday and no Oxycodone and it never became intolerable. It was a 6 to 7 on the pain scale. When it reaches an 8 that's when I take the meds. Not sure if that is the best method to deal with my pain because I just don't know when it is going to reach that 8 and keep climbing even with the pain meds if I wait too long. As with so much there is no exact formula when to take it.

But I am heeding your advice and won't be so reluctant to take it when/if I need it. I think it is clear I will be experiencing more pain as I do the therapy exercises and cannot let the pain cloud my mind or make me reluctant to do the exercises as that will impede my recovery so I will be taking it more readily to make sure I am not hesitant to do the work to regain my function.

I LOL'd when I read what you wrote regarding the surgeon's masterful artistry because that is so true haha. Not to mention don't screw up or give the patient MRSA. I mean it's not funny but it is and it is very true. The surgeons really admire their work don't they? And believe me if I can walk and cycle and do most of my activities again I will be kissing the ground my surgeon walks on and can we say big gifts if I end up OK after all this? For him, the PA and their whole staff!!!! I will be showing my gratitude you can bet. Not that I haven't thanked them and been grateful each time I saw the nurse/PA/doctor/secretaries. I have been. Just saying I will be one of their most thankful and appreciative patients ever if I get my life back after all of this. Words will not be able to truly express my gratitude. What they do, how they make people "whole" again, that is a miracle. I know they are not g-d but well, they are the closest thing to it on earth when it comes to getting one's life back after an accident like this.

And a huge thank you to you because you have been with me (and continue to stick with me) through this whole journey. Your compassion and generosity is more appreciated than I can truly express and I know I have said this before and I hope it doesn't bother you that I keep repeating myself but IMO it bears repeating. Thank you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1407029797|3725154 said:
Missy, I can't believe how few pain pills you have been able to get by with. From what you what you had posted it does seem that you were never taking even close to the allowed amount. I do understand how you felt about the pain meds. I do not like the way they make me feel. I like to feel in complete control at all times. I really do not like feeling out of it, which is how they make me feel.

Having your friends visit is a such a great distraction for you. I'm so glad you had such a nice time. You can tell by your posts how much you truly enjoy their visits. Did your other friend come by today? Did Greg have a nice time or did he talk sports and work politics?

Hi Callie, yes my dear friend Tom come yesterday we had a lovely visit though we did talk too much shop lol. But Greg had a good time anyway. It was a nice change to just playing board games and cards. I had been reluctant to have visitors on the weekends because I have my dh with me all weekend and I really prefer visitors on the weekdays. But I can see it is a nice change of pace to occasionally have weekend visitors too. For Greg just as much as me as he has been doing so much extra work with me like this and he needs a break (please not literal!!!) too yanno?

Tom told us about the athlete Paul George who had a similar break to mine. Of course he was fortunate to be able to have the surgery for the tibia/fibula break right away whereas I had to wait 10 days because my swelling was too severe. He's also 24 so hopefully his recovery will be a smoother easier road than mine and he will be able to resume playing professionally again. I was sad to hear of the accident and reading the reports seeing it referred to as gruesome and horrific. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up doesn't it. :blackeye:

I had surprise visitors last night though and well it was nice but Greg wasn't thrilled with the surprise. My mobile rang and it was one of the secretaries from work and one of the medical assistants. They were in my neighborhood and wanted to know if it was OK to come and visit. I mean they were right outside my building lol. It was 8 PM and by that time I am exhausted beyond belief and Tom had just left an hour or so before that after being here for almost 8 hours. It was a long day. But I couldn't say no. I just couldn't. And part of me was happy they thought enough of me to want to visit if that makes sense. I know they don't do that for other clinicians.

So I said they could come up but only for a short visit as I was tired and they came a minute later (haha literally outside my building) and spent only 20 minutes visiting but it was perfect. I was surprised at how annoyed Greg seemed just before they arrived (after he realized I said yes) but I understand. It had been a long day and we were just relaxing watching The Bridge and it was an unwelcome interruption. Had they called earlier and asked it would have been a different story but the last minute call he felt was rude. It wasn't rude in their minds and that's the thing. Different backgrounds and cultures view things differently and I know they called because they missed me and wanted to see how I was doing. So despite the last minute notice, the thought behind it and the actual visit was nice.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1407038413|3725217 said:
Hi Missy,

I am good. Thank you for asking. How are you doing? I think you are doing a great job at keeping up your spirits. Wow, I am amazed your friend was able to walk when she was in a body cast. I have an image in my head of the poor thing walking without her knees or arms bending. I am sure I’d be making cheesy comments like “I’m going around all plastered”. Of course I am easily entertained. I am sure 9 months seemed like a long time when she was in that cast. That is awesome she is going to help you find some good PT and get you lined up with some aquatic exercises. It is always good to find someone who has been through this type of therapy and can recommend places that worked for them.

Did you have a nice visit with your friend? Were you able to steer the topic away from politics and sports? A really good friend of mine has completely opposite political beliefs from me – we learned a long time ago to never discuss politics.

I was certainly a slug today. I was up until midnight getting laundry done. DH is off on a business trip for 2 weeks so I had to wash as many of his clothes as I could. My uncle woke me up bright and early about 6:30. He’s on ET and I’m on MT, I was going to ask him “do you ever check the local time before you call someone?” but I hated to be rude. My husband left for the airport about noon. All I did today was read, do dishes, bake a batch of cookies and walk over to the mailbox.

Tomorrow I am going jewelry shopping. My sister wants earrings and a pendant. That will be fun!

I hope you have a good night’s sleep!
Marcy

Oh you are a good wife Marcy. All that laundry at once. I hope he appreciates it! But I am sure he does. I can tell by your posts you have a lovely relationship with your dh. I hope the 2 weeks he is away on business goes quickly and that he is back home with you sooner than you realize!!!
And as for your uncle, I understand as that would have been aggravating to me too. Sleep is critical! But I do think you did the right thing in not complaining to him that he woke you. While I am all about honesty and allowing my feelings to be spoken out loud sometimes it is better to keep it in for the sake of not offending someone (especially a loved one) who means well. And ummm, did you mention COOKIES??? :lickout: What type of cookies? I will vicariously enjoy them from here. :appl:

Yes I have friends like that whose political beliefs are opposite mine. We also agree to disagree and do not discuss the hot button topics. We learned that long ago as it just leads to difficult situations and unhappy feelings. My friend Tom however does not share different political views so that was not an issue to avoid. We had a lovely visit and he said he will come again soon. It was a very nice day thank you for asking.

Have a great day jewelry shopping with your sister! I am glad you have enjoyable activities to keep you occupied while your dh is away. Enjoy and I wouldn't object to pictures of any special or even just pretty pieces. LOL. Have fun!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I love Azstonie list of the standard of care. That is so true!

Sounds like you had a lot of company. That was nice of the people from work stopping by to visit you and it’s good they didn’t stay too long since it was late. It does brighten your day though to have company to talk to for a change of pace.

Did you have a good night’s sleep? How is your pain today? I hope both of them are improving for you!

Marty is a keeper all right. He is good to me and we have a lot of fun. He likes to try and scare me and gets a big chuckle out of it when he succeeds. Our bathroom can be accessed from two sides so I’ll be in there getting ready for bed and he’ll sneak in and scare the crud out of me.

I made chocolate chip cookies which are known by our friends as “Death Cookies”. That came about because I also think I’m funny and when I used to pack Marty’s lunch for work I’d put poison stickers on his baggies. Once I started working at the same place I’d write “with poison” and “without poison” on our baggies so I’d know which one was mine. Of course all the people at work thought that was funny so one day I took in a baggie of my chocolate chip cookies for everyone with a poison sticker on that bag so Marty’s boss named them death cookies. Death cookies are often requested by people so they must be good.

I had a wonderful day shopping with my sister. She bought a pendant mounting and a ½ carat diamond to put in it. It is really pretty. I was going to see about upgrading my EC RHR or my blue sapphire RHR. The ECs they brought out were either the same size, obviously included or OMG I’m not spending that for a RHR. The sapphires were so yucky I said don’t even take them out of the case. So then another lady who knows I love different colored sapphires starts pulling out some unique gems to look at and I ended up buying a radiant cut lavender sapphire. I picked out a rose gold ring for it. I’ll attach a picture. There goes my other upgrades but oh well – I got a new ring instead.

Well, it’s my bedtime so I’d best head that way.

I’ll check in tomorrow. Have a great day!
Marcy

lav2.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring marcy I love the purple and gold combo. :love:

Just checking up on you missy. Glad the pain is better: take the meds you need, there's no rush in weaning off them quickly. They'll be out of your life eventually I am sure. You're making great progress! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
marcy|1407128549|3725658 said:
Hi Missy,

I love Azstonie list of the standard of care. That is so true!

Sounds like you had a lot of company. That was nice of the people from work stopping by to visit you and it’s good they didn’t stay too long since it was late. It does brighten your day though to have company to talk to for a change of pace.

Did you have a good night’s sleep? How is your pain today? I hope both of them are improving for you!

Marty is a keeper all right. He is good to me and we have a lot of fun. He likes to try and scare me and gets a big chuckle out of it when he succeeds. Our bathroom can be accessed from two sides so I’ll be in there getting ready for bed and he’ll sneak in and scare the crud out of me.

I made chocolate chip cookies which are known by our friends as “Death Cookies”. That came about because I also think I’m funny and when I used to pack Marty’s lunch for work I’d put poison stickers on his baggies. Once I started working at the same place I’d write “with poison” and “without poison” on our baggies so I’d know which one was mine. Of course all the people at work thought that was funny so one day I took in a baggie of my chocolate chip cookies for everyone with a poison sticker on that bag so Marty’s boss named them death cookies. Death cookies are often requested by people so they must be good.

I had a wonderful day shopping with my sister. She bought a pendant mounting and a ½ carat diamond to put in it. It is really pretty. I was going to see about upgrading my EC RHR or my blue sapphire RHR. The ECs they brought out were either the same size, obviously included or OMG I’m not spending that for a RHR. The sapphires were so yucky I said don’t even take them out of the case. So then another lady who knows I love different colored sapphires starts pulling out some unique gems to look at and I ended up buying a radiant cut lavender sapphire. I picked out a rose gold ring for it. I’ll attach a picture. There goes my other upgrades but oh well – I got a new ring instead.

Well, it’s my bedtime so I’d best head that way.

I’ll check in tomorrow. Have a great day!
Marcy

Ooh Marcy, the ring is beautiful! I love sapphires and I love rose gold and your new ring is ooh la la. :love: Really gorgeous!!! Wear in much health and happiness. :appl:

I'm glad you were able to help your sister get a lovely diamond pendant too. Sounds like an amazingly productive day. Just like mine was...not... lol. I will say Greg is getting to be a game shark. So much for the guy who doesn't like board/card games. HA. He is getting to be quite good and I catch him practicing on his iPad LOL.

Your death cookies sound awesome! They also sound like the death of weight control if one consumes them often haha. It seems all my friends are bringing me baked goods these days and while I appreciate that my waistline certainly isn't but I am also eating healthy foods for healing so hopefully a bit of "bad" foods won't hurt me. :lickout:

Marty definitely sounds like a keeper. I bet our dhs would get along quite well. They both seem like great men (who of course are married to amazing women)!
:bigsmile:

I wish I had good news about last night but it was my worse night yet since I came home from the hospital. I dozed for 20 minutes but woke up due to shooting pains from my foot to ankle. I took 1000 mg Tylenol at 12:20 AM but the pain continued and I did doze for a short while but at 3 AM I gave up and took an Oxycodone which helped a bit around 4 AM (takes so long to feel the relief when I take Oxy) and I fell asleep for about an hour and then woke up again and the foot/ankle pain started.

I don't understand why because the previous 2 days were good regarding pain as in not much compared to what I had been feeling. I was feeling so hopeful and then last night makes me feel apprehensive all over again. Ugh. Vent over. Hopefully it is just a normal part of the healing process and the pain setback is temporary. It reminded me all over again (as if I need reminding lol) that when the pain is bad everything seems so much darker. :((

I am expecting my friend to visit this afternoon. She had a breast lumpectomy last Wednesday at Sloan Kettering because she was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. She will be seeing her surgeon this Thursday for the results of the pathology report and treatment plan action. I cannot believe she is taking the time and effort to visit me when she is dealing with this recent diagnosis and surgery and I realize how fortunate I am to have such caring friends. She also insisted on visiting me when I was in the Hospital for Special Surgery though that was the day after her initial Sloan consult (and the second surgeon she met to decide which hospital in which have the surgery). So putting it all in perspective no more crying from me. Thank goodness they caught her breast cancer early and hoping everything comes back clean with no need for further surgery and a straightforward treatment!

Have a great day Marcy and thanks for keeping me posted. I enjoy hearing about your daily activities! And you are another day closer to your darling Marty returning home! :appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1407147740|3725714 said:
Beautiful ring marcy I love the purple and gold combo. :love:

Just checking up on you missy. Glad the pain is better: take the meds you need, there's no rush in weaning off them quickly. They'll be out of your life eventually I am sure. You're making great progress! :appl:

Thank you rosetta. The pep talk helps especially with the pain setback I had last night. The Oxycodone is not going anywhere too far from me yet but I am taking it in stride. That is what they are here for and the good outweighs the bad re taking them right now. Have a great week and thanks for stopping by! :wavey:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy,

I am so sorry you had such a rough night. The only idea I have on the shooting pains are maybe nerves or muscles that are “waking” back up from the surgery or your recent beginning of PT. I hope those subside quickly and your pain gets better. Stupid pain – it is such an unwelcome houseguest.

I hate to hear about your friend’s breast cancer. That is great they caught it early and will plan how to treat her now. I have a good friend who is a breast cancer survivor and I have walked in our local race for the cure and always put her name on my shirt. Give you friend my best wishes.

Yes, Greg and Marty would probably get along great. Everyone just loves Marty. When we started dating my nieces and nephews were always more excited to see him than me.

I am the family cookie baker but I try not to make them too often because as you say they are bad for the waste. If I make a double batch I always give some away. That is nice of people to bring your some goodies, I think a little here and there is fine and you eat healthy so just enjoy your treats.

Thank you and Rosetta for the compliments on my ring. I dug out a shirt today that matches the sapphire. The rose gold really seems to match the lavender color.

Well I’d best get ready to leave for work.

I hope you have a good day.

Marcy

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,

I just got a full-body "massage" heat pad...

http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Products-10-Motor-Massage-Plush/dp/B007Y3CCGG/ref=sr_1_2_m?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1407161952&sr=1-2&keywords=comfort+products+60-2910+ten+motor+massage+cushion+with+heat

It doesn't really massage, more like vibrations in various patterns and you can adjust the strength.
I thought of you and your comment on not liking strong massage.
It's a comforting relaxing feeling and maybe something that would work for you also.
Just a thought.

So much for sending you virtual Tiffany necklaces, huh. However, I think this thing in the photo is actually available! :lol:

Be Well!

Jimmi

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Marcy!

Jimmi, thank you for that recommendation and I appreciate you thinking of me. I am going to check it out. How are you doing with the invisalign? Is it getting easier? I hope so!
And what do you mean, is that necklace you are sending me not available??? :o 8-) :halo:

I also have another question for anyone (azstonie or rainwood might be able to answer this) who knows. Have you heard of a bone stimulator? My former hospital roommate texted me about this and said she thinks it would be great for me. I asked the PA about it but he said for future use perhaps. I will ask my surgeon at the next appointment which right now is about 3 weeks away. But I am interested if anyone here has any knowledge of this and if it could work for my type of fracture where both tibia and fibula are broken. Thanks.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy:

I read the National Institute of Health;s article on electrical stimulation for fracture failing to heal.

They also covered the use of ultrasound to stimulate healing.

(I have experience with ultrasound/laser treatment from my Westie after her two hip replacements. In a few days of treatment, her postop swelling and discomfort were completely resolved. It works in people too. The technician uses a hand device, everyone wears the special glasses, and they 'zap' spot by spot to cover the affected area. My dog did great with it, I begged for it when my knee broke, could not get anyone to speak with me about it/order it.)

The thing about the e-stim for you, your surgeon would have to order it and then fight with the insurance company because they would say first off, show us the data that says the fractures are failing to heal; secondly, there is not a lot of evidence for e-stim/fracture nonhealing. Maybe HSS has e-stim, though, and it would be simpler than all of that. I would ask about e-stim and also use of laser to reduce swelling and inflammation in your leg and ankle.

One thing I remember from Maggie's rehab with the veterinary physiatrist: Until the swelling and inflammation is gone, you don't start rehab.

When I started rehab, the surgeon was very clear with me: NO PAIN. NONE. If it starts with some exercise or motion or handling done by the PT, stop it immediately. This is very different from what many PTs are 'used' to. They have patients who whine about the least bit of discomfort and they have to be motivated and inspired and sometimes goaded into progressing. This is not your case. You've had a traumatic injury and surgery, your rehab is not a cookbook rehab (shoulder replacement, go to binder, have patient do schedule A for 2 weeks, scheduled B for 2 weeks, schedule C for 2 weeks, etc.). You require an honest to goodness PT who has experience with complex injuries. Not someone who does mostly carpal tunnel rehab, shoulder and knee replacements.

IMHO the best thing you can do now is to keep that leg protected. Watch your general health, which you already do. Stay on top of the pain, which you are doing. Let your good health and nature heal you up, THEN and only then commence with rehab with the physiatrist's prescription.

One thing you might look into; What facility there in Manhattan or NYC is a rehab clinic with everything there and in place and who rehabs very injured and surgically fixed patients? I would want to go there. You want expertise and experience. No beginners.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1407171034|3725860 said:
Hi Missy:

I read the National Institute of Health;s article on electrical stimulation for fracture failing to heal.

They also covered the use of ultrasound to stimulate healing.

(I have experience with ultrasound/laser treatment from my Westie after her two hip replacements. In a few days of treatment, her postop swelling and discomfort were completely resolved. It works in people too. The technician uses a hand device, everyone wears the special glasses, and they 'zap' spot by spot to cover the affected area. My dog did great with it, I begged for it when my knee broke, could not get anyone to speak with me about it/order it.)

The thing about the e-stim for you, your surgeon would have to order it and then fight with the insurance company because they would say first off, show us the data that says the fractures are failing to heal; secondly, there is not a lot of evidence for e-stim/fracture nonhealing. Maybe HSS has e-stim, though, and it would be simpler than all of that. I would ask about e-stim and also use of laser to reduce swelling and inflammation in your leg and ankle.

One thing I remember from Maggie's rehab with the veterinary physiatrist: Until the swelling and inflammation is gone, you don't start rehab.

When I started rehab, the surgeon was very clear with me: NO PAIN. NONE. If it starts with some exercise or motion or handling done by the PT, stop it immediately. This is very different from what many PTs are 'used' to. They have patients who whine about the least bit of discomfort and they have to be motivated and inspired and sometimes goaded into progressing. This is not your case. You've had a traumatic injury and surgery, your rehab is not a cookbook rehab (shoulder replacement, go to binder, have patient do schedule A for 2 weeks, scheduled B for 2 weeks, schedule C for 2 weeks, etc.). You require an honest to goodness PT who has experience with complex injuries. Not someone who does mostly carpal tunnel rehab, shoulder and knee replacements.

IMHO the best thing you can do now is to keep that leg protected. Watch your general health, which you already do. Stay on top of the pain, which you are doing. Let your good health and nature heal you up, THEN and only then commence with rehab with the physiatrist's prescription.

One thing you might look into; What facility there in Manhattan or NYC is a rehab clinic with everything there and in place and who rehabs very injured and surgically fixed patients? I would want to go there. You want expertise and experience. No beginners.

Hi Azstonie, thanks for all the info.

When you say no pain with therapy does that mean none whatsoever? I am supposed to be doing passive range of motion/mobility of my ankle right now and it hurts like he** when I move the ankle at all. I have almost no range of movement of my ankle and that is why I am supposed to be flexing it back and forth during the day to get that mobility back. I am unsure as to what to do because what you write makes sense and my first instinct is to protect my leg while it is healing as well. At least for now.

I contacted (via email) the HSS Physiatry department based on your recommendation and will see what they say regarding having me make an appointment to see a physiatrist there. I wish my surgeon would have made that recommendation because then I would know he is on board with it and though I did mention it to the surgeon's PA he seemed to dismiss it. I'll see what they say.

Thanks again. :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No pain, and that was after I had X-Ray confirmation the fractures were healed. The atrophy that came from the immobilization, rehabbing that was not painful unless the PT directed me to do something the surgeon and physiatrist forbade (squats and lunges, for example).

I'm trying to understand why, with your fractures in the first healing stage, anyone would risk disturbing the healing process going on there...

The first goal would be to heal the fractures. Rehab comes after that. Your job is keeping those fractures protected.

There are stages of fracture healing. Usually at around 90 days you see union/healed fracture. It's still kind of in a fragile state. As the months roll by, the healing improves. Complete healing is usually at the 3-year mark.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your surgeon's PA is there to protect the surgeon's time. Most patients want refills of meds, reassurance, wound check, that kind of thing. It's very possible that PA doesn't know anything about postoperative other than those things. My surgeon, he knew what I should NOT be doing in rehab/PT, only the physiatrist knew specifically what I should do, when to do it, for how long, and when to go to the next level. And the PT still never ever prepped for my appointment in order to do it right. I carried my file with me and would show it to him when he'd order me to do a dangerous/harmful exercise.

I hate to say this, but it might be time for the husband-surgeon phone call. Surgeons give great credence to a worried and exasperated man calling them to say: My wife is a trooper. She is not a complainer. But something is going wrong with her recovery from surgery and it requires specific physician involvement right now and I'm not going to be satisfied with anything less.
1. Complex injury followed by surgery involving plates and screws. Please correct me if I misunderstand this, but the first goal here is healed fractures with no displacement, right? Without knowing if that has been achieved, why would Missy be doing exercise/manipulation of the ankle?
2. Pain is not being managed and my wife because of this is getting little sleep and her appetite is low. It's time to reevaluate the pain management plan.
3. We've been told to see a physiatrist at HSS; let's discuss this.

Dr "Dick," we are committed to getting the best possible result from your efforts but we're in the postoperative long haul at this point and we are not sure of the treatment plan, please tell us what should be happening and when it should happen.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1407195161|3726065 said:
No pain, and that was after I had X-Ray confirmation the fractures were healed. The atrophy that came from the immobilization, rehabbing that was not painful unless the PT directed me to do something the surgeon and physiatrist forbade (squats and lunges, for example).

I'm trying to understand why, with your fractures in the first healing stage, anyone would risk disturbing the healing process going on there...

The first goal would be to heal the fractures. Rehab comes after that. Your job is keeping those fractures protected.

There are stages of fracture healing. Usually at around 90 days you see union/healed fracture. It's still kind of in a fragile state. As the months roll by, the healing improves. Complete healing is usually at the 3-year mark.

OK that really makes sense azstonie, thanks. Can you remember when you first started rehab 3 months after your surgery if it was difficult getting the range of motion back in your ankle? Mine is so stiff and tight and it just barely moves at all when I am trying my best to move it.

azstonie|1407196454|3726078 said:
Your surgeon's PA is there to protect the surgeon's time. Most patients want refills of meds, reassurance, wound check, that kind of thing. It's very possible that PA doesn't know anything about postoperative other than those things. My surgeon, he knew what I should NOT be doing in rehab/PT, only the physiatrist knew specifically what I should do, when to do it, for how long, and when to go to the next level. And the PT still never ever prepped for my appointment in order to do it right. I carried my file with me and would show it to him when he'd order me to do a dangerous/harmful exercise.

I hate to say this, but it might be time for the husband-surgeon phone call. Surgeons give great credence to a worried and exasperated man calling them to say: My wife is a trooper. She is not a complainer. But something is going wrong with her recovery from surgery and it requires specific physician involvement right now and I'm not going to be satisfied with anything less.
1. Complex injury followed by surgery involving plates and screws. Please correct me if I misunderstand this, but the first goal here is healed fractures with no displacement, right? Without knowing if that has been achieved, why would Missy be doing exercise/manipulation of the ankle?
2. Pain is not being managed and my wife because of this is getting little sleep and her appetite is low. It's time to reevaluate the pain management plan.
3. We've been told to see a physiatrist at HSS; let's discuss this.

Dr "Dick," we are committed to getting the best possible result from your efforts but we're in the postoperative long haul at this point and we are not sure of the treatment plan, please tell us what should be happening and when it should happen.

Thanks azstonie, I am getting frustrated and I can tell my dh is too. The surgeon definitely said to us at our first postoperative visit (2 weeks after surgery) that I needed to start ROM on the ankle. But I'm concerned because your points make complete sense and it hurts like heck. We have no X-rays showing anything yet (except immediately after surgery) and I'm with you. Why risk it? Ugh. I hate calling the surgeon because he did say to do ROM of the ankle but maybe Greg will be willing to call tomorrow. The surgeon is actually going on vacation next week so if we don't call by Thursday I'm out of luck for a while. OK just asked Greg and he will call Wed or Thurs as the doctor is in surgery tomorrow. Thanks for that suggestion!

But just to ask again- do you remember if you had very limited range of motion on your ankle at first and how hard was it to get that back? Thanks so much for all your direction. At times I feel lost being in these uncharted territories and as you know the surgeon doesn't spend lots of time explaining this stuff and you're right in that the PA is there to write Rxs and such and who knows if he is giving me the correct advice. He said I could do aqua therapy next week LOL I wonder if the surgeon would be onboard with that? My incisions are far from healed and they are driving me crazy with itching and burning right now. I don't see them as water/pool ready any time really soon.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I was stiff as can be. The only good things at PT were the laser treatments and electrical stimulation to bring down swelling and he did an awesome massage of my entire leg.

I was also scared poopless of the ride over, walking from the parking lot to the facility, and one of the tottering elderly folks there bashing into me.

Let me say this to you: I can tell you are going to be fantastic at rehab and you will get the best results possible.

But until then, it's fracture healing 24/7. It feels like you're watching paint dry but it's happening every single second.

First things first.

If your surgeon tells you to exercise the ankle/leg and he knows it's painful I stand corrected. I'm just super concerned about PT starting without orders/plan from a physiatrist. That and your Pain level.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1407197221|3726085 said:
Yes, I was stiff as can be. The only good things at PT were the laser treatments and electrical stimulation to bring down swelling and he did an awesome massage of my entire leg.

I was also scared poopless of the ride over, walking from the parking lot to the facility, and one of the tottering elderly folks there bashing into me.

Let me say this to you: I can tell you are going to be fantastic at rehab and you will get the best results possible.

But until then, it's fracture healing 24/7. It feels like you're watching paint dry but it's happening every single second.

First things first.

If your surgeon tells you to exercise the ankle/leg and he knows it's painful I stand corrected. I'm just super concerned about PT starting without orders/plan from a physiatrist. That and your Pain level.

Thanks so much azstonie. You are a life saver to me amidst all this confusion and scary territory I am dealing with right now. I appreciate your patience and thoroughness with explaining everything so carefully to me! I am with you. I would rather be safe than sorry and if that means just waiting till I am sure and then just working even harder at physical therapy when I know I am healing and stable then so be it. I edited my post above to say Greg is going to call the surgeon this Wed or Thurs to double check and then we will see where we are with all of this. (((Hugs))) to you for all your help!!!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
INCISIONS NOT HEALED? No pool. NO. And no pool unless it's at a certified rehab facility either and you will have a lift or the motorized chair I n/out of the pool. Two person assist I n/out of chair thingie..

Are the edges of the incisions completely approximated? Until they are, you aren't ready for rehab at all.

ROM, yes I was very stiff. We had X-Ray showing fracture healed so we knew ROM was safe.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results