shape
carat
color
clarity

Now a vendor is telling me I'm being too "academic"...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had staff in Tiffanys in Australia tell me the HCA is an outdated tool that is rubbish so the thread is just as valid now as it ever was. Any jeweller that does not wish to understand the basic proportions of a decent cut diamond or does understand but then chooses to sell crap cuts anyway is not a good jeweller. There are a high number of very bad ones in Australia and only a handful of good ones, I suspect it is the same in the UK and the US.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
arkieb1|1417042537|3790924 said:
I've had staff in Tiffanys in Australia tell me the HCA is an outdated tool that is rubbish so the thread is just as valid now as it ever was. Any jeweller that does not wish to understand the basic proportions of a decent cut diamond or does understand but then chooses to sell crap cuts anyway is not a good jeweller. There are a high number of very bad ones in Australia and only a handful of good ones, I suspect it is the same in the UK and the US.

LOL, why am I sitting here wondering just how well that went for them???

Wink

MelisendeDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Anonymous6|1291351812|2785960 said:
So, I inform him this is what I'm searching for word for word in the email:

Carat: 1.5-1.6 round at least Triple EX and preferably scoring between 1-2 on the Holloway Cut Advisor (HCA)..

Mentioning HCA isn't helpful unless you are dealing with a PS vendor who knows about it, and even if you are its a cheat sheet a trademember should not need.

and if it so happens to be H&A noted by GIA or AGS (I'd rather not work with EGL), that would be great

If it actually said H&A on the GIA or AGS report I would NOT pick that stone. Those labs will print anything inscribed on the girdle on the grading report. It doesn't mean squat as they don't grade it or have a standard for it, and most stones that have to market by stating H&A on the girdle are actually not a high standard of H&A.

He just claims that getting involved with the specs and being so detailed with them is "academic".....

By the above I think you need to do a lot more reading or get help from this forum, otherwise you should just trust your jeweler. A little but not enough knowledge is dangerous.

I think the people I've been dealing with aren't used to people with knowledge about diamonds? Don't know what the crap is going on (referring to one of my earlier posts about the bad experience at a wholesaler)

Is it a bad thing to be too specific with specs? I know it's what the eyes see that matter... but specs are specs for a reason are they not?

Yes it is bad, it indicates you haven't understood some of the concepts which are simplified here by the prosumers.
HCA is a rejection tool not a selection tool and if those vendors don't have/use an Idealscope or ASET then I don't see how you can do anything other than trust their judgement and your own eyes and make comparisons in person. Either that or shop online and just select "safe" stones.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Now a vendor is telling me I'm being too "academic"...

Hey-yo!!! 4 year old thread... Revival! [emoji6]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results