shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice question - making the final pick!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cu-bigred

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for your help to date

I belive I am down to the final 3 - wanted to get thoughts if possible

my selection criteria were as follows:

Cut = Hearts and arrows
Clarity = VS1 or VS2 - cannot have notable inclusions over table
Color = D to F - to-be has a darker skin tone
Carat = 1+
Budget = $10k

Althought all the details are below, given there is only +/- $400 difference I am leaning toward either the 1.01/D/VS1 (quality play) or 1.15/F/VS2 (size play)

I would love to get thoughts and perspective from the experts!

Thanks again to everyone for your help - not sure what i would do without pricescope!

choice #1 = = = = = = = =

Price: $9,863.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.011
Color: D
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.6
Table: 55.8
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.8
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.51-6.53X3.95

choice #2 = = = = = = = = =

Price: $9,517.00
Carat: 1.036
Color: E
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.3
Table: 56.6
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 15.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium Faceted
Measurements: 6.58-6.60X3.97

*only stone to post excellent on cut advisor*

choice #3 = = = = = = = == = =

Price: $9,386.00
Carat: 1.152
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.9
Table: 54.9
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.7
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Measurements: 6.79-6.81X4.14

= = = = = = = = = = = =

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
They all newline or are any classic?
If ya dont know can ya post the IS images?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All 3 are going to be gorgeous, and it'd probably be hard to tell a visual difference among the 3.

Initially I was going to say #3 just because it has the highest carat weight, but the table seems just a smidge small. However, at 54.9% it's just barely outside of the 55-57% ideal table range that it probably doesn't really matter. It just means it'll have an ever-so-slightly smaller spread than the other two stones...but again, probably not a huge difference and not easily detectable by the eye.

That said, I would probably go with #2. E is a nice midway point between D, and F and is going to be icy white. The Excellent HCA is another big plus. Like the others, it has ideal proportions, but with the 56.6 table it'll have a slightly larger spread.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2006 2:00:24 AM
Author: KristyDarling
All 3 are going to be gorgeous, and it''d probably be hard to tell a visual difference among the 3.

Initially I was going to say #3 just because it has the highest carat weight, but the table seems just a smidge small. However, at 54.9% it''s just barely outside of the 55-57% ideal table range that it probably doesn''t really matter. It just means it''ll have an ever-so-slightly smaller spread than the other two stones...but again, probably not a huge difference and not easily detectable by the eye.

That said, I would probably go with #2. E is a nice midway point between D, and F and is going to be icy white. The Excellent HCA is another big plus. Like the others, it has ideal proportions, but with the 56.6 table it''ll have a slightly larger spread.
I''m for #2 as well for the same reasons. I like the numbers, the HCA, and the color is the midpoint between the two. Good luck!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh! I just looked at the millimeter measurements....go for #3!!!! I''m a size whore, what can I say! F is still going to be white, white white!!!!

lil_jay78

Shiny_Rock
I hate to sound like an echo, but I would vote # 2 for all the same reasons.

you will not be able to tell the difference between the colors and just like you said, since all three stones are really awesome similar(well, #1 and #2 more than #3, since #3 is the biggest).

Whatever you choose, it''ll be one awesome rock!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
here''s my dumb chinese opinion
16.gif
this is a no brainer.

buy the 1.15 ct F VS2 stone. 99.99 % of your friends won''t be able to tell the difference between the D and this F color stone. except for the size
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tough decision, I just wanted to make it easier on you by saying that all of these stones are great choices, so don''t stress too much!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
The F VS2 all the way. You will never see the dif in color or clarity between it and the other two. You will see a very noticeable size difference.

shay

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I''d pick the 1.15 F also.

The table is not too small, and the size will make a difference.

klavigne

Shiny_Rock
Gotta play devils advocate here.
0.20mm difference!!! Take two pieces of paper stacked on top of each other and look at it from the side and thats the difference. No one will ever be able to notice any size difference for a stone that size. Now if it was a 1/4 carat then maybe you''d be able to tell.
I''d go with stone #2 because of the numbers looking better than the rest.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about going the G/H route in a larger stone? You mention that your to be has darker skin color. Your thinking about needing the whiter stones are contrary to what I have heard about skin color. ....just a thought since I, too, am an admitted size whore.

cu-bigred

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for the reply

The primary reason I was leaning toward the smaller, higher quality stone was becasue:

(1) some of my to-be''s extended family are in the jewelry biz - unfortunately given the distance and timing i couldn''t utilize this resourse - but i dont want to get dinged by a more knowledgable eye (also relates to #2)

(2) chineses cultural angle - friends have told me quality over there is more about color and clarity vs. size here in the us - so in my case giving up 0.1 ct was not such a huge trade-off

Does this change any of your thoughts?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have read many times on this board it is a cultural thing. So, for that reason I understand your desire for colorless.

I think all three are nice stones. I doubt whether you will see much difference between any of them. The value/size girl in me says go w/ the F/VS2 stone. But, is the value of a D on paper worth something to you? To her? Will someone ask the specs?

cu-bigred

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply

I am a value guy as well - I do think it would matter to her either way

However there is that seed of doubt that might get probed or asked to show

I think I am leaning toward the D - my logic is that its a very slightly smaller stone, but I can always use the new family connections to upgrade to a larger, similar quality stone down the road

Also gives me some piece of mind for that lone auntie how might insist to see!!

Thanks again to all

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote here for the F/VS2. You will not see the difference among the three, except for the size of the F/VS2. The specs on all three are stellar, including the 54.9 table, which is definitely still ideal. But if the D will matter to you or to her, then the D is still a nice choice.

ETA: You said your to-be has a darker skin tone--many on PS have found that darker skin tones actually go better with warmer colors, like H/I/J. Just a note for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results