shape
carat
color
clarity

Novice needs help/advice on princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bcd

Rough_Rock
I have been doing a decent bit of research in preparation for buying an engagement ring, but am clearly still a novice and am therefore looking for some advice. I am buying a princess cut diamond and I came across the 2 listed below in my searching based on my general criteria.

These are 2 diamonds that I''ve been looking at, both Princess:
Carat Weight: 1.86
Shape: Princess
Length-to-Width: 7.17 x 6.88 x 4.61
Color Grade: I
Clarity Grade: VVS1
Depth: 67%
Table: 67%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: TN-STK
Culet: NON
Fluorescence: NON
Report: GIA
Price: $9900
Carat weight: 1.54
Cut: Signature Princess
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 64.9%
Table %: 71%
Symmetry: Very good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.56x6.52x4.23 mm
Crown height: 8.6%
Length/width ratio: 1.01
Report: GIA and GCAL
Price: $8900

In terms of differences, obviously the first one has the bigger carat weight and the higher clarity. The second has the slightly higher symmetry. I am still working on getting the Crown height for the first.

But based on these numbers, are there any red flags for either of these? Which one would you prefer? I know it''s difficult to give an opinion just based on the numbers, but any advice or opinions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

BSHAW

Rough_Rock
Sorry not an expert but your post gives me a question about the cut of the two. One says "Signature Princess" how is this different than a regular princess cut??

Referring to the diamonds you chose I really don''t like the length to Width on the first but I really prefer the princess to be square. Just my 2 cents.

bcd

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/7/2005 2:39:58 PM
Author: BSHAW
Sorry not an expert but your post gives me a question about the cut of the two. One says ''Signature Princess'' how is this different than a regular princess cut??

Referring to the diamonds you chose I really don''t like the length to Width on the first but I really prefer the princess to be square. Just my 2 cents.
sorry...meant to erase "signature". that is a Blue Nile classification based on what they deem to be ideal ranges. the other diamond is from a different dealer.

any other opinions? would like to make a final decision today if possible. (30-day guarantee on both, so i''ll get a chance to take a closer look later)

bcd

Rough_Rock
OK....crown height for diamond #1 appears to be 7.9%. Lower than I''d hoped. Is this a deal-breaker? Where''s the acceptable cut-off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results