shape
carat
color
clarity

Noticeable difference in size 1.25 vs 1.36?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I am new to the forum & have a question. How noticeable is the difference in size when you look at a 1.25 carat diamond vs. a 1.36? Does .11 really make a big difference when you look at a diamond of these sizes? Reason being I am contemplating a Super ideal Hearts & Arrows in 1.25 or a GIA Excellent Excellent table 55 & depth 61 in the 1.36. I guess what I''m asking is if I should choose a smaller Super ideal Hearts & Arrows over the slightly larger diamond.
1.gif

Thanks,
Rosy

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Rosey, welcome to Pricescope.

Have you compared them in person?

I think that the difference will be so slight to the naked eye. At least my 40+ eyes anyway.
10.gif
If the price difference is an issue, I'd say that the 1.25 is still a very nice sized stone, especially if it's well cut.

Good luck with your decision. Both stones sound real nice. Size isn't always everything.
2.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
It's not the carat weight, but the spread and the optical performance that determines how big a stone looks. A well cut stone often looks bigger than a poorly cut one of the same spread. Check the dimensions of each stone. Most people say that 0.2 mm is a noticable difference, all other things being equal.

Best bet is to look at the two you are considering side by side. My guess is you probably can see the difference side by side loose, but once mounted in a ring and not side by side, I don't the difference will be material.

slw925

Rough_Rock
I had this same question myself, and after checking things out in person, I realized how much of a jump you really have to go before you notice a change in size. Although with me, I was looking at the difference between a 1.18 and a 1.30. My 1.18 has dimensions closer to that of a 1.24. So that is why I probably didn't see any difference. I sat there for a while staring at both stones thinking that I should be able to tell a size difference, but I couldn't.
Furthermore, when I compared my 1.18 to a 1.50, I did see a slight and noticeable difference. Then when I compared the 1.18 to a 1.75, I really saw a noticable difference. When or if I eventually trade up, I would like to shoot for 1.75.
In your case, the best cut diamond H&A may very well give the illusion that it looks bigger than it really is, since excellent cut stones look fabulous. Going down in cut grade to gain slightly more size, may or may not appeal to you depending on how different the cuts look compared to each other side by side. The H&A may look really cool, but the other one may also (in and of themselves).
My advice... if you haven't seen either in person yet, have the jeweler place them side by side and not tell you which is which at first, so you can see which one you favor most. If you notice a difference and like what you see in the higher ct weight, go for the bigger one.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Do you have more data on the second stone? From the data you've told us, it doesn't sound like a step down in quality. Not all great cut stones are branded. Ask the vendor for a sarin report to get the crown and pavilion angles.

I agree with the others. I've heard that your eye begins to differentiate size at about a .1mm difference. But it is mostly obvious when they are side by side. On their own they will probably look very similar. I'd look at the specs and pricing of both of them side by side, and make a decision on the "whole package".

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results