shape
carat
color
clarity

Not sure where to post this q, but How does one go about becoming a gemologist?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
I''ve developed such an interest in stones...I wonder what is involved in becoming a gemologist?

Schools/degrees/certifications...any help is welcomed!!

Thanks a bunch.
I''m on Long Island (NY) if that means anything to anyone.

-Nicole

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can get a degree from GIA, Gemological Institute of America, either by their distance program, or by going to classes in NYC. Or perhaps a combination of both since your aren't far from NYC. You can call them for a brochure, and talk to a counselor to see what works for you. Good luck.
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sell your soul to DeBeers then give your first born to GIA.
Just kidding, kinda......

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you mean?

There is at least one poster here who has a GG diploma in the drawer for fun (''Cflutist'').

And another who also has one but maybe using it professionally (''Nicrez'').

You can surely get (some of) the knowledge if you have nothing better to do (I''m trying) without a degree to show.

What to do with a gemology degree is yet another matter.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My great pal Irish Eyes has the GIA GG diploma and works with diamonds
3.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A GG from GIA is one way. You can go to Carlsbad or NYC and do it in residence or via correspondence. A more technical approach is via the FGA program from the Gemmological Association of Great Britain. It is a very fine course of study.

My recommendation is to take the GIA home study course AND work in the field. Get a job at a jewelry retailer to gain experience AND take the courses. If you are really into stones and not jewelry, then the opportunities for jobs during the learning period are more difficult to find, but plenty of large diamond and colored stone dealers-wholesalers do have staff people, so there are "jobs" out there.

You need practical experience as well as book learning to be a success and to understand the monetary values of gemstones. The field is basically not a high paying one. Working in a retail operation or at a wholesaler will not make you affluent. You need to have a long term goal, not a short term need for the most money. Some folks in the business do make a very good living, but experience is key to getting higher paying jobs or knowing enough to work for yourself.

I began doing jewelry manufacturing, bench work. It was a perfect fit for me, but would not be good for everyone. You have to seek out your niche.

Shiny42805

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone!

I''m 75% done with a BA in English, and I always thought I wanted to teach. In fact, I want nothing of the sort! I don''t mind working with jewelry...don''t mind ONE BIT!

The link was especially helpful. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results