shape
carat
color
clarity

Not Happy with my Diamond - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ebast1

Rough_Rock
Well, Dave and I have received our two appraisals back. When I got my ring back from the second appraiser he said quickly that it was in fact an I1, but when we received the paperwork in the mail it stated the center stone was an "Si2-I1". I thought it couldn''t be both. The different outcomes of these two appraisers are amazing. They both are GIA and the first appraiser said the ring was worth $3,175 but the second appraiser said it was worth $1,875. Can anyone explain this to me? King''s Jewelers did an appraisal when we gave the ring back and said that it also was still an Si2. I am just so confused about the grading scales and how they can be so different. We figured we''re just SOL and I am beating this into the ground unecessarily so we are upgrading one scale - hopefully to an Si1 with the same cut and clarity at King''s. To my knowledge, the price difference between an Si2 and an Si1 should only be a few hundred - $300? I just want to know why my two appraisals differ by $1,300. Thanks!

Erica

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Appraisals tend to run high and indicate the highest retail price you might see for your jewelry. My ring has been appraised twice, and both times the "retail replacement cost" was about twice what it would cost for me to buy a comparable stone and set it in the same setting, and I don't even have access to stones at wholesale prices.

In order to have the stone graded accurately you'll need to have it removed from the setting, and frankly, it's probably not worth it. That's why the weights and clarity gradings have varied. You know you're unhappy with it, so just upgrade the stone with King's. Insist on a certified stone so there is no guesswork involved. And be firm in your insistence only to pay a few hundred more dollars for the stone . . . don't let them claim it's a huge difference in price for one clarity grade. Check out what stones of that color and clarity in the 0.62 range are selling for on PriceScope so you have some reference.

Blueman33

Shiny_Rock
I have not read part 1 and 2.

Did you do the appraisals 'blind'? No info at all on the stone?

If not, perhaps one appraiser is trying to 'match' the given information more closely than the other.

EDIT: I see now it is a mounted stone, a blind appraisal works for loose stone, but mounted stones can't be weighed and sarined (hmmm....is 'sarined' a word?)

And are the appraisers on the same page for the 'value' you are seeking? Insurance replacement, retail value, average value, what you could sell it for, etc.?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I think you are on the right track with upgrading to an SI1 stone. The important thing, though, is that you insist on a certified SI1 stone. Uncertified stones can be called whatever the jeweler wants to call them.

You say that both of your appraisers were GIA appraisers. Because the appraisers have taken the GIA course does not mean that they are giving you the equivalent of a GIA certificate. You'd have to send the stone to GIA in order to get a GIA certificate. Appraisals of a set stone can vary.

The bottom line is that you are unhappy with your stone. If your receipt or ticket from King's says that you have an SI1/SI2 stone, you could insist on upgrading to a certified SI1 stone without having to pay too much money, I'd think. The truth is that your stone is probably an SI2 and maybe an I1.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ebast1

If you are still on the diamond boards, could you post your final update here?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results