shape
carat
color
clarity

NO SPOILER Harry Potter Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SO... I started reading it last night at 7:30pm... and stayed up till I had finished it at 4:00. I am slated for a re-read after John reads it. But over all I really liked it!! (I''m exhausted this morning, in case you are wondering-- but have no regrets about staying up).

What is your HP reading status?

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
Ah I am jealous! That is what I wanted to do saturday night but I fell asleep
38.gif

I did finish last night, and I really loved it!
36.gif
But now I am sad that I will never read a new HP again. Sigh.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cheated.
11.gif
I read the ending, then the last 2 chapters on Saturday. On Sunday, when I had time, I read it the correct way and I am about halfway through the book. It is very different, but then again, this is to be expected considering all that has happened. Despite knowing how dark the story will be, I was still shocked.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 12:24:03 PM
Author: Miscka
I know... that''s why I put off starting it on Saturday. It''s the last of the series... and I was really relucant for it to end.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Mine arrived this morning.

I''m so looking forward to it - but not to finishing it...
15.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2007 12:31:27 PM
Author: Gypsy

I know... that''s why I put off starting it on Saturday. It''s the last of the series... and I was really relucant for it to end.
JKR could very well do an off-shoot or a new series.
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 12:41:43 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 7/23/2007 12:31:27 PM

JKR could very well do an off-shoot or a new series.
3.gif
I''d actually love a series on the newborn in the book. But she hasn''t commited to anything. And being ther richest woman in Britan, she doesn''t really need to. Still two movies to come out too.

You realize of course, that I''m going to have to re-read the ENTIRE series again during my vacation.

VACATION!!!! YAY! TWO WEEKS until I''m on (unpaid, but lets not spoil the excitement) VACATION!

God, do I need a vacation! lol.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Had it in hand after hitting the beach all day on Saturday. Got home and delayed it until Sunday to have more time to read. It physically hurt to see it lying there, unread....
Started reading it after dinner last night around 8:30pm, until bedtime. Had to be up extra early today so I went to bed only having read almost 3/4 of it. DYING to finish it, but am I strange I almost want to take my time now? Scared of once it''s over the joy will be gone...

So far, so good, JK is an amazing writer with such depth of characters. Interesting read, complex characters, flawed and human, love it. Sad that it will be done after this book... Can''t believe it''s been 10 years!

sugarplum

Brilliant_Rock
Glad to hear people are liking the book! I haven''t read it yet but am looking forward to it! I''ve been waiting for the last book to come out because I want to purchase the entire box set.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
We were first in line to get it at Safeway. haha

Finished it on Sunday morning. Great book! Sad to see it over.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 12:53:07 PM
Author: Nicrez
Had it in hand after hitting the beach all day on Saturday. Got home and delayed it until Sunday to have more time to read. It physically hurt to see it lying there, unread....
Started reading it after dinner last night around 8:30pm, until bedtime. Had to be up extra early today so I went to bed only having read almost 3/4 of it. DYING to finish it, but am I strange I almost want to take my time now? Scared of once it''s over the joy will be gone...

So far, so good, JK is an amazing writer with such depth of characters. Interesting read, complex characters, flawed and human, love it. Sad that it will be done after this book... Can''t believe it''s been 10 years!

That was me at 1:30 am. I was TRYING TO put it down... but just kept saying, one more chapter, one more chapter... LOL.

I felt, and still feel exactly the same way. I''m definitely going to have to re-read the whole series.

Not a spoiler... just a funny note:

There was this one line in this book that was SO FUNNY because Hermione is saying to Ron, exactly what he said to her at the end of the first book when she was stuck in the devil''s snare. She''s looking for matches to light to get them out of it and Ron says, "HERMIONE you''re a WITCH" and she starts and remembers. There is a similar scene in this one where it''s RON that''s panicking and Hermione says, "RON YOU ARE A WIZARD." And I just loved the symmetry of that. It made me smile b/c that was my favorite line in the first book (AND was ommited from the movie which irritiated me), and it was like closing a circle.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Finished it at half five this morning, never noticed the time passing and was really shocked when I turned the light off and realised the sun was coming in through the curtains!

I''m so sad now that I won''t read a new Harry Potter again, it''s been a wonderful journey.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I finished it in about 10 hours. What a ride... And JKR was definitely right when she said it was a bloodbath.

About not getting another new one... I think I''m in denial right now!
26.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to be good and wait till vacation to read it.
14.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/23/2007 9:55:18 PM
Author: Harriet
I have to be good and wait till vacation to read it.
14.gif
Augh! That''s terrible.

My problem is that I''m not an ''installment'' reader. I''m a binge reader. I finished it in 8 hours-- after only intending to read for 3.5 and go to bed at a ''reasonable'' hour.

20.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I am usually a binge reader, too. I am trying to read this slowly since it is the last book. I''m on page 96. Perhaps some of the reason I''m not in too big of a hurry is because I read the last few pages and epilogue first
41.gif
. I HAD to know how it ended!!! I''m really really really bad with surprises!!! So bad that when it is getting close to my b-day I call Visa to check the recent activity!!!!!!

suzi

Shiny_Rock
I had my copy in hand at 12:01 AM Saturday morning...I didn''t think I could wait until I got home to start reading it. Stayed up all night reading, but finally passed out at around 7AM. Woke up a couple of hours later and finished the book. LOVED IT! I''ve read that lots of people were disappointed in the ending (the epilouge) but I wasn''t. I thought the ending was a good contrast to the rest of the book, and left me with a good feeling!

Two weeks ago my nephew and I wrote down our predictions for the book. I am happy to say that the great majority of mine were spot on. A couple of them didn''t play out exactly how I thought, but I actually liked the way they played out better than the way I had predicted!

I will miss Harry Potter, but I am so glad I went along for the ride!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just re-read the end... and think I missed something. But don''t know where I lost the thread of it.

It''s bugging me now, and John is reading it now so that I can''t dig through it. Argh!

I have to say that I understand the disappointment in the epilogue, there were many questions I had that it left unanswered. And the tone was well... in sharp contrast to the book. Which would have been okay except for the immediate juxtaposition.

Still, there is only one thing I want to know... and that will wait until we have a spoiler thread, when more people have read the book.
2.gif

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/24/2007 1:46:21 AM
I just re-read the end... and think I missed something. But don''t know where I lost the thread of it.

It''s bugging me now, and John is reading it now so that I can''t dig through it. Argh!

I have to say that I understand the disappointment in the epilogue, there were many questions I had that it left unanswered. And the tone was well... in sharp contrast to the book. Which would have been okay except for the immediate juxtaposition.

Still, there is only one thing I want to know... and that will wait until we have a spoiler thread, when more people have read the book.
2.gif

See, that''s exactly what I liked about the epilouge...the contrast. The book was pretty intense, especially the last chapters. Very emotionally draining if you are an invested Harry Potter fan! The ending was just the opposite. It was kind of like finishing off a very good meal with something that left a good taste in the mouth. I liked that. I thought there were a few unanswered questions, but not really any significant ones. Just small things. But...I''m not sure if I would have liked it if she''d answered EVERYTHING. I sort of relish a bit of mystery, and even though this was the last book, she did the smart thing by leaving us wanting more, or with a few unanswered bits where we would have to use our imaginations.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got about 100 pages left, and for the most part, I wasn''t that trilled with the first half. I liked the other books better, but after about 500 pages it''s getting there. I hope the ending is worth it!

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
I got my book delivered around 3:30 pm Saturday afternoon. (Chased down the wrong mailman in hopes that he had the book...anyway...)

Finished it at 4am Sunday morning, so about 8 hours if you factor in eating, gym, and more eating. There was no way I could sleep without finishing the story.

And I was sad when I turned the last page, and now I''m in the process of rereading books 1-7. This is definitely a series that I will be reading aloud to my kids, if I have any.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everyone done now (Except poor Harriet?)... shall I start a discussion thread with a spoiler warning?

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Well, it HAS been nearly a week since the book came out...
2.gif

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, please. I''ve been dying to discuss the book with people, but no one I know has finished it yet.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''d love to discuss it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we do spoilers now? It''s been a week and I''ve gone through the book TWICE already.

suzi

Shiny_Rock
Last night I was at a softball tournament, and I happened to see a friend there who was reading the book when I saw her earlier in the week. So I walked over to her and causally asked her if she''d finished the book. She said that she had, so I went on to ask her what she thought of the ending (she was nearly 3/4 through the book when I saw her last) and she said that she had liked the ending. I THEN asked her if she was surprised, especially regarding the way it ended for Snape (still hadn''t said anything difinitive or given anything away). Some woman who was sitting in some bleachers then proceeded to YELL at me, saying "Hey, some of us haven''t READ the book yet if you please!!!" I was kind of stunned for a moment and didn''t say anything, but then I recovered my wits and replied, "then I guess you shouldn''t be listening to our conversation, eh?". The "lady" went on to say a couple more rude comments to me, and at that point I said that I was sorry if she hadn''t read the book yet, but it HAD been out for nearly a week already, to which another woman sitting by her said to me "some of us have a LIFE and have better things to do with it than read a book!" Again, I was stunned. They continued to make rude comments to me, but at that point I just turned around and ignored the two of them and pretty much changed the subject and began discussing something else with my friend.

That whole episode kind of shook me up. I''m not usually a confrontational person, but I thought that these two women were a bit out of line. We were in a noisy public place, and the two of them were at least 20 feet away from me when I was talking to my friend. They were actually sitting in the bleachers watching one of the softball games, and my friend and I were standing some distance away from the bleachers. And it''s not as if I said anything that would in anyway spoil the book or give away the ending! Is it just me, or is it rude for people to listen in on other people''s conversations and tell them what they can and cannot talk about? I mean, I didn''t even know these two women! Or am I too sensitive?
39.gif

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I finished it the other night also, and would love a spoiler thread!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 10:36:33 AM
Author: sipper
Last night I was at a softball tournament, and I happened to see a friend there who was reading the book when I saw her earlier in the week. So I walked over to her and causally asked her if she''d finished the book. She said that she had, so I went on to ask her what she thought of the ending (she was nearly 3/4 through the book when I saw her last) and she said that she had liked the ending. I THEN asked her if she was surprised, especially regarding the way it ended for Snape (still hadn''t said anything difinitive or given anything away). Some woman who was sitting in some bleachers then proceeded to YELL at me, saying ''Hey, some of us haven''t READ the book yet if you please!!!'' I was kind of stunned for a moment and didn''t say anything, but then I recovered my wits and replied, ''then I guess you shouldn''t be listening to our conversation, eh?''. The ''lady'' went on to say a couple more rude comments to me, and at that point I said that I was sorry if she hadn''t read the book yet, but it HAD been out for nearly a week already, to which another woman sitting by her said to me ''some of us have a LIFE and have better things to do with it than read a book!'' Again, I was stunned. They continued to make rude comments to me, but at that point I just turned around and ignored the two of them and pretty much changed the subject and began discussing something else with my friend.

That whole episode kind of shook me up. I''m not usually a confrontational person, but I thought that these two women were a bit out of line. We were in a noisy public place, and the two of them were at least 20 feet away from me when I was talking to my friend. They were actually sitting in the bleachers watching one of the softball games, and my friend and I were standing some distance away from the bleachers. And it''s not as if I said anything that would in anyway spoil the book or give away the ending! Is it just me, or is it rude for people to listen in on other people''s conversations and tell them what they can and cannot talk about? I mean, I didn''t even know these two women! Or am I too sensitive?
39.gif
Nope. I would have reacted the same way.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results