shape
carat
color
clarity

Nitsuj's (Justin's) Quest for the Wife Documentary

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
Everyone seems to document what's going on with their rings, so I thought I would create a clean process to 'journal' everything I've done.

January 7, 2004 - Met Woman (speed dating even! YIKES!)

July 2004- December 2005 - Researched diamonds occasionally. Learned what to look for, forgot about it, came back, I'm no way getting married yet.

August 2005 - Came up with proposal idea

January 2006 - Redeyed many nights researching diamonds, read way too much on pricescope.

January 29 - Purchased the diamond from Whiteflash (www.whiteflash.com)
.72c F VS2 Excellent/Excellent from their 'expert selection'
HCA readings (excellent, excellent, excellent, excellent) 1.4 is the number (is that meaningful to you?)

February 1 - Met with selected jeweler "Colucci Co." (website unavailable) apprentices of Marc Williams (www.webgoldsmith.com). Custom design will be 18kt white gold, bezel setting with platform, no other gems. She is meeting up with Marc to provide a few more drawings on Feb 6.

Feb 7 - Disappointed now that jeweler will not work with loose stones. Jeweler 'colucci' was sympathetic though and is now clear on the bossman's policy.

Feb 7a - Contacted Whiteflash because I forgot to ask for my discount. Leslie is giving me the refund.

Current Applicable Photos:

repr.jpg

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
Edited

nitdia.jpg

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
Today was not a good day. I met with the apprentice designer and she said that the custom jeweler would NOT use my stone. So I''m still in the return period for my whiteflash rock, but I''m skeptical. I''m so obsessed with numbers that I don''t just want the jeweler to plop and ideal cut F vs2 down without me being able to say whether or not the HCA is going to come out alright. I won''t even be able to see the stone since it will be in his inventory 3 hours away. Damned.

My other option is to send it back to whiteflash and have them set it or try this jeweler in Hershey, PA (yes, where all the chocolate comes from)

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Why wouldn't the jeweler use your stone? That seems ridiculous! I meant, why wouldn't the jeweler use it. Not NOT use.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What reason did the jeweler give you for not agreeing to use your stone?

ETA: AW, I guess we were posting at the same time!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Why won''t the designer use your stone?? It looks beautiful. What kind of setting are you interested in?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
in my experience wf is extremely reasonable for their settings and they don't charge a setting fee for diamonds purchased from them.

your rock looks awesome! well done!

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
I was putting out feelers, but got a lot of different responses. Basically, it was just his policy and it probably has a lot to do with insurance, scamming, and profit. I've read other designers state that they just can't afford to set loose stones in custom jewelry. If it is a prefabricated setting, say prong, then it's a snap.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I reread your initial post - your setting of choice is just a simple wg bezel? The jeweler seems to want to sell you his own diamond...and I would walk away!!!

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 3:39:28 PM
Author: FireGoddess
I reread your initial post - your setting of choice is just a simple wg bezel? The jeweler seems to want to sell you his own diamond...and I would walk away!!!

No, it isn't all that simple, it is a custom bezel on a platform. The platform has some pretty intricate stuff going from the bezel down to the side of the shank. I do understand the liability of taking a little pebble from someone as there is a huge amount of trust.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ultimately the choice is up to you, but me personally, if I was laying down a pretty penny for a custom setting only to be told that they would only use a diamond THEY sell me, I''d walk. But that''s me. You have to decide what''s important to you...getting the setting done by this particular person, or getting the diamond that you personally chose.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
That part is understood, but if you have the certification from WF and everything pertaining to the diamond, what harm could come to the setter? I would send it to WF. I was unaware they set their loose diamonds into other settings. I''d rather trust WF to set their diamonds in the setting, than have the setting people set the diamond into the setting instead.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Fire Goddess, it seems like they are slightly bullying you into getting their diamond, or no setting. Not fair. Did the apprentice give actual reasons?

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 3:45:31 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Ultimately the choice is up to you, but me personally, if I was laying down a pretty penny for a custom setting only to be told that they would only use a diamond THEY sell me, I''d walk. But that''s me. You have to decide what''s important to you...getting the setting done by this particular person, or getting the diamond that you personally chose.

I''m with you on that. I''d walk as well. Setting loose stones happens all the time and a lot of jewelers do it. I wouldn''t want to have to buy some marked up stones because that''s all they''d do. Your call though, ultimately.

nitsuj

Rough_Rock
Well, I think my call may be NO. They want 5000 for the same diamond and this is unfortunately out of my budget.

Oh crap, good thing I still have 3 months to go.

Any suggestions for the internet other than whiteflash? I was looking at this setting on whiteflash:
setting

However, I think I may take a trip to Hershey tomorrow.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 4:04:38 PM
Author: nitsuj
Well, I think my call may be NO. They want 5000 for the same diamond and this is unfortunately out of my budget.
Yeah....thought that might happen.
2.gif
I think the setting you picked out is very romantic - makes the diamond almost look like a flower. I thought someone else on PS debated over that setting, can't remember if she went with that though.

ETA: I see belle's got the mind of a steel trap - that's the ring I was thinking of!!!!!
36.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wf does custom work too. it''s at least worth getting a quote from them. of course a trip to hershey is never a bad idea!
3.gif

icefisher just purchashed the crescendo setting..

crescenplat.jpg

matthewk

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2006 3:38:04 PM
Author: nitsuj
I was putting out feelers, but got a lot of different responses. Basically, it was just his policy and it probably has a lot to do with insurance, scamming, and profit. I''ve read other designers state that they just can''t afford to set loose stones in custom jewelry. If it is a prefabricated setting, say prong, then it''s a snap.

I think that is with their setting and their diamond. In an email Leslie told me that if I showed up with my own custom setting and bought a diamond from them, it would be an additional $50 to set it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results