shape
carat
color
clarity

Nicked and Crooked Setting!?!?1

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kokoro

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

After much research I finally found a nice round solitaire and proposed to my fiance with a simple six-pronged platinum setting. After shopping around for a bit, we found a new setting and band that we fell in love with at a "supposedly" reputable vendor in NYC. To our dismay, the setting job that they did seems to be very poor. I don't mean to be neurotic or overly critical, but the setting does seem off-centered. It is a pave four-pronged platinum settings. We were wondering what do you all think? Should I go back and demand they fix it? Or is this considered within normal limits. Is there any way to fix the little nick? note - the little nick in the platinum is located on the prong on the right had side of the picture (facing the image, it is in the center of the right most prong) Will resetting weaken the current ring or have any detrimental effects to the stone? I've been quite stressed over this, even though I know it's just a minor thing, but any advice anyone may have would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
There''s no pic??

kokoro

Rough_Rock
the right prong

nick.JPG

kokoro

Rough_Rock
another view

nick2.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
If it bothers you, let the vendor know and see what they say. Do you have any pictures showing that head is off center?

kokoro

Rough_Rock
here is the crooked view . . . as one can see, the culet is off to one side.

IMGP2035.JPG

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Insist that they fix it. It looks crooked to me.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take it back and have them fix it. I can clearly see the nic and the crooked setting. Good luck and let us know what they say, but don''t take no for an answer.
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Contact them in the morning if they are open on Sat., if not send them an email and find out when they can replace the head and do a propler job setting it.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take it back. Not that it matters, but this shouldn't be that hard to fix. It looks like you are going to have snagging problems on the prongs as well. Will it snag on a nylon stocking? When it's done, take it back to whoever you chose to do the appraisal and have them check to see if it's set properly.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

kokoro

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

The ring and matching band, were suppose to fit flushly also . . but there is a gap there. The salesman told me that he would raise the basket allowing the matching band to fit flushly . . . I believe there was a term he used . . . it began with a "B." Can anyone think of this term?

As for the snagging issue . . . I should test it on a nylon?

Neil, you were saying that I should take it to any reputable appraiser to make sure it''s set correctly? I had it appraised by IGI earlier before I changed the setting (it has a GIA but I just wanted some extra paperwork - though it may have been useless.) Any recommendations for appraisers/jewelers that can tell me if it''s set well in the NYC, NJ area?

Also, I noticed the stone did not look as "WHITE" as it did before. Before I had it in a tiffany style - simple setting. It was set pretty high, where I could see space between the culet and the stone. Combined with the pave setting, it didin''t seem as white though the sparkle was still there. I''m pretty sure the jeweler, who is probably one the largest ones in the city, would not do a switch on my humble ring, but any other reasons for the color difference? Or maybe it''s this whole situation that is causing me to be paranoid.

IMGP2030 (Small).JPG

kokoro

Rough_Rock
A "whiter" photo - i know it''s all relative to the light but still . . . just wanted to get everyone''s take on it. Thanks.

780503648203_0_ALB.jpg

kokoro

Rough_Rock
any other advice? thanks

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, take it back and have them fix it. as for the stone being switched, not likely but if you''re not sure it''s your stone then take it to an appraiser and have them verify it''s the same stone you have the cert for..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results