shape
carat
color
clarity

Newspapers That Endorsed Bush In 2004 Endorse Obama In 2008

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
link

Choice quotes from the article:

The Denver Post, "which had backed George W. Bush in 2004 and is owned by Republican-leaning William Dean Singleton," endorsed Barack Obama for president on Friday. "So did the Chicago Sun-Times, Kansas City Star. Southwest News-Herald (Ill.) and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. And to top it off: another Bush-backing in 2004, The Salt Lake Tribune."

SNIP

The Salt Lake paper complained that "out of nowhere, and without proper vetting, the impetuous McCain picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate. She quickly proved grievously underequipped to step into the presidency should McCain, at 72 and with a history of health problems, die in office. More than any single factor, McCain''s bad judgment in choosing the inarticulate, insular and ethically challenged Palin disqualifies him for the presidency.

"Still, we have compelling reasons for endorsing Obama on his merits alone. Under the most intense scrutiny and attacks from both parties, Obama has shown the temperament, judgment, intellect and political acumen that are essential in a president that would lead the United States out of the crises created by President Bush, a complicit Congress and our own apathy."

The Kansas City paper also hit McCain hard for choosing an "unqualfied" running mate.

SNIP

Then, the Chicago Tribune, a newspaper that has not endorsed a Democrat for president since it was founded in 1847, followed suit. From their editorial:

Many Americans say they''re uneasy about Obama. He''s pretty new to them.

We can provide some assurance. We have known Obama since he entered politics a dozen years ago. We have watched him, worked with him, argued with him as he rose from an effective state senator to an inspiring U.S. senator to the Democratic Party''s nominee for president.

We have tremendous confidence in his intellectual rigor, his moral compass and his ability to make sound, thoughtful, careful decisions. He is ready.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
I am glad about the Denver Post. They are in a very liberal city and it made a lot of people REALLY mad in 2004 when they endorsed Bush. As I recall, they had endorsed Clinton before that.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/18/2008 8:16:22 PM
Author: brazen_irish_hussy
I am glad about the Denver Post. They are in a very liberal city and it made a lot of people REALLY mad in 2004 when they endorsed Bush. As I recall, they had endorsed Clinton before that.

I thought Denver was pretty liberal but I guess the newspaper can go either way, regardless of the populace.

I would have assumed the Chicago Tribune was liberal if I didn''t already know it was a conservative paper. (I used to work at a newspaper so I''m somewhat familiar with all the major papers.) That''s probably my favorite switch since the Chicago Tribune hasn''t endorsed a Democrat since it began back in 1847! Plus I think it means more since Obama got his political start in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results