shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie with quite a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amarz

Rough_Rock
I have been perusing this site for awhile now trying to learn as much as I can, and you all have really taught me lot so far, thank you!
Here''s the situation: I have been doing research as my boyfriend would like to know what I am looking for in a ring, as he is going to get serious about a purchase sometime soon. The budget is around 10K, including the setting. This may be a little flexible. We are hoping to fall somewhere between 1.5 and 1.75 ct. I really like the look of asschers, but they seem so complicated, and I am not sure that we could find a great one in this size range and still stay within the budget. I have not been able to see an asscher in a lower color grade in order to determine if this would matter to me, but am suspecting that I should not go below an H. Any opinions on this? If I could drop in color then we could probably manage to find a stone for the right price. I have been looking at GOG''s site and like the look of some of the other cuts such as the square H&A, and the modern cushion. Any opinions on which cut would likely produce the best end result regarding size, price, etc?? Thanks for any and all help in my coming to a decision!

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
From what I understand the ''square'' shapes appear smaller per carat weight than the typical RBs. I don''t know if this means that the cushions fall between them, but someone here will know.

A really great cut will minimize the appearance of the lower grade colours, but again, I think that the RBs are best at this. You might find that the square H&A has the capacity to be most helpful to hide colour. It is hard to know what colours you will like until you see a bunch - and don''t forget that a great cut J can look whiter than a poorly cut G, so try to compare only nicely cut stones when you decide what colour grade you will consider.

Nothing makes up for seeing stones in person - failing that, narrowing down to a couple of stones and running them past the critics here can be helpful! Also, some of the vendors are very helpful at discussing them with you.

amarz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the helpful advice. Yes, I have been led to believe that square shapes will not appear as large as the RB''s. This is one of the concerns with the asscher. I would rather have a quality stone, but at the same time don''t want to sacrifice too much on size. I am starting to think that in order to get a good quality asscher within the budget, that the size would definitely have to be sacrificed. I would love to see some of these cuts in person, for example, a modern cushion or square H&A, but don''t really know where to go as we do not have a plethora of stores to visit. From the stores that we do have, the selection leaves something to be desired.
From the images on GOG, I am noticing that the square H&A''s posess far superior IS images to most of the asschers or cushions, and that may persuade me to consier this cut instead as I do want a great deal of sparkle:)
The best thing to do may be to just let my man deal with it, pass along some reputable contacts and let him take care of the rest. I do want it to be a surprise after all!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have a very nice budget. i don''t think you''ll have a problem finding a nice size stone at all. Goodoldgold has turned up some gorgeous asschers as well as other fancy shapes. If your bf works with Jonathan or Tim they will be sure to take good care of him and not lead him astray.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can''t go wrong with GOG for asschers or square H&A''s. Also have him check out www.whiteflash.com and www.jamesallen.com Good luck. I did buy an asscher from GOG and am thrilled with it.
2.gif

amarz

Rough_Rock
Since I started browsing this site, I have come to realize that GOG and Whiteflash both have excellent reputations and I will be passing their contact information along to my boyfriend. I know that I would love an asscher, but would still like to get a look at a square H&A, just for comparison.
By the way Kaleigh, I have seen pictures of your ring on this site and it is gorgeuos:)

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints:)

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 10:08:30 PM
Author: amarz
Since I started browsing this site, I have come to realize that GOG and Whiteflash both have excellent reputations and I will be passing their contact information along to my boyfriend. I know that I would love an asscher, but would still like to get a look at a square H&A, just for comparison.
By the way Kaleigh, I have seen pictures of your ring on this site and it is gorgeuos:)

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints:)
Thanks, I''m glad you like it. Can''t wait to see what you get.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results