shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie w/ questions on Radiant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicities

Rough_Rock
Just started looking for engagement rings (never thought I''d say that!), and my GF likes a square cut, and I think a radiant is the way to go. Can anyone lend a hand and tell me what they think of these dimensions from the WF website. The price is right for my college student budget, but of course I''ll do some negotiating before finalizing. The cut of the ring is more important than the size, but I wonder if this is the kind of ring that needs to be bigger to show it off. Given a pretty modest budget, should I go for a Princess instead?
36.gif
Any advice is much appreciated. --Sam (identity changed on the off-chance my GF visits this site).

Price: $2,315.00
Shape: Radiant
Carat: 0.73
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 64
Table: 83
Girdle: TN
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: No
Measurements: 5.43-5.19X3.32
Length/Width: 1.05

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't think a princess would be "bigger" necesarily. A less deep cut stones is usually larger and you would have some hard time finding a princess cut 60%-somethign deep. Over 70% is more likely.

This stone is a big as the weight allows. The size could well be of a 0.9-1 cts piece with less lucky numbers. Not just the depth, but the thin girdle and very, very large table all contribute to that.

I would say 80% table may be a bit much, but this helps the stone's size (because the crown is flat to accomodate the table) and may not be a total disaster for brilliance either. There is no knowing abou that until there is a picture and Ideal Scope (IS) image to talk about. WF usually provides IS images for their stones, so it can't hurt to ask for one.

These being said, I am quite partial to radiants over princess cuts, an dmy taste is no reason not to go for a nice princess cut if something right turn out.

Definitely agree that these rings need to stand some scrutiny (you know betterif the circle of potential ring-admireres would be cool or not). G/VS1 are not exactly "bargain" - G/SI1 would and without a loupe there may well be no difference between the two. Given the relatively small size, I'd say H color too
12.gif

Hope the 0.2 worth helps for starters. Congratulations for the upcomming engagement of course !
35.gif

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
I prefer radiants over princesses because I like the longer sides. Some radiants are mistaken for elongated princesses when the width of the radiant is a bit wider than normal. I had one like that before.

Good luck with your purchase. You can get a lot of good advice around here. I know I did.
emsmile.gif

moosewendy

Rough_Rock
Conventional wisdom is that the table % on a well cut radiant dhould be under 70%. A stone with a 83% table, by the numbers, would be considered an extremely poorly cut stone. Big tables are also often associated with extremely flat crowns, which kill light return. If price is your priority, the stone should be seriously discounted fot cut quality so it should be cheap for its color and clarity. If cut quality matters to you, move on.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results