shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie. Please help me decide! Narrowed down to 4.. Round, F, VS1, ~1.2 Carat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vinvin0

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for your advice in advance. I really enjoy reading this forum for information.
I have narrowed down my selection to about 4 diamonds.

Here are my basic requirements:
1.15-1.2 carat, DEF, VS1, Ideal cut, AGS000 (new), HCA0-2.

I have found 4 diamonds that I hope you can all review and let me know you opinion.

1. http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1920630.htm#
- Expert selection. 1.22 carat. 10K
- Only concern is the inclusions (looks large on the AGS report)

2. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-2167528.htm#
- ACA diamond. 1.206 carat.
- Looks nice, but the price is 11K

3. http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1920629.htm
- ACA diamond. 1.22 carat.
- Inclusions are scattered, price is 10.5K

4. http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00493153&item=6_19&filter_id=0&sec=&query=&page=1&sortby=ranking
- 1.19 carat.
- Doesn''t have full Sarin report.

They all have good HCA scores but which one is the winner?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Regards,

vinvin0

Rough_Rock
One more to consider:

5. http://www.goodoldgold.com/1_225ct_f_vs1_h%26a.htm
- Old AGS report. 1.22 carat. 11K
- No inclusions on AGS report

Thanks again,

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
The photos that Whiteflash posts are the actual magnified image of each diamond. Look at the images carefully - trust those over the ags inclusion plots on the certs, those aren't exact. They are just meant to give you an idea of the types of inclusions in a stone.

I'm off to look at your contenders.

Scintillating...

Edit* With VS1 clarity you aren't going to see inclusions with the naked eye, unless you're some bizarre super eagle eyed person. So you're pretty safe. I own a VS2 stone that is clean as a whistle. Many here on PS swear by SI1 stones, which can be a great deal cost wise, and can often be eye clean.

There is a BIG difference in the cost between the 1st two WF stones, what's your budget?

Of the stones listed, I might eliminate the GOG stone, the pavil (40.6) looks too shallow for that crown angle. (To me anyways.)

a crown of 33.9 and pavil of 40.7 eliminate the blue nile for me.

1 or 3 look good to me. There's something about the WF Expert Selection stone I'm drawn to. You should contact them and see what the PS Discount would be on your options. Make sure you put anything you're serious about on hold before it gets scooped up.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the HCA and AGS light score.... I'm not going to second guess the experts about what angles work together. Within such a tight range... it may mean little.

Among the stones you listed, only the BN one doesn't come with pictures and H&A pedigree, and since you only need one, that's out.

In your range of D-F /VS1 my fave would have been... D-E/ VS2, H&A... HCA<2 regardless of what AGS has to say.

D-VS2 - case in point
5.gif

Btw. Garry !? please correct this if wrong, but isn't the same research behind the HCA and the AGS grades? Or did AGS do soemething basically different from the Cut Group background (well, aside choosing their narrow economic slot out of the purely theoretical optimal range).
34.gif

Hansel

Rough_Rock
If price is a concern then you should go down to G and VS2. It will knock 4 grand off the price at least. I recently purchased 1A cut, 1.2ct, G, VS2, 2%Perfect Square stone for $6000 GIA cert, hence it is my opinion that you might be able to get something which is considerably more affordable by sacrificing just a little bit in color and clarity. But that''s just how I approached it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is a nice well rounded stone.

vinvin0

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the informative advice :)

My budget is around 10K, but am willing to goto 11K if the ACA cut is worth the extra premium compared to the expert selection.

I''m going to take your suggestion and also consider D-E VS2 stones now. I was worried that VS2 stones would be worse that VS1 stones. I didn''t want to goto SI or any color under F, but that''s just my preference.

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

vinvin0

Rough_Rock

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
I personally would pick purchase the ACA for a little more money. Make sure you ask for the "Pricescope Discount" when purchasing your diamond. That will save you a little bit of money.

Good luck! Let us know your decision!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Vince,

Call WF and ask Brian to pull the stones and eyeball them for you while you are on the phone with him. He will be honest with you and help you choose the liveliest stone. You can trust his opinions and his eyes.

Both stones look like they''d be killers. Except for minute nuances of "personality", they are probably twin brothers!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results