shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Needs Help With Photos of Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYPrincess

Rough_Rock
Could someone tell me how to set my digital camera to get clear, close up photos of my ring? I have been struggling for a week trying to figure out all the settings and I am very frustrated at this point.

Any assistance would be appreciated so I can add my bling pics to the gallery.

Thanks.

20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it have a macro setting? If so, that''s what you need to put it on, and turn the flash off.
2.gif

If you do a search on here, there''s tons of threads on picture taking!

jason2007

Rough_Rock
I just went through this...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-pics.64078/

Here''s my tips:

- Use the Macro mode (or Super-Macro on Canon cameras) on the camera and find out what distance the macro mode is designed for (it should be in the manual) for the best focus
- Don''t use flash
- Use a tripod
- Use the delayed shutter feature - it''s a function on most digital cameras that gives you a countdown before it takes a picture. This will significantly reduce ''camera shake'' and makes all the difference. Hit the button and then hold the tripod steady.

- I didn''t do this but a photographer friend recommended it after commenting that my photos made the diamond look dull: take a thin white sheet, go outside in bright sunlight and put the tripod, camera and ring (and probably yourself) underneath - this creates a ''light tent'' that should evenly diffuse the light and create a better picture

Whill381

Rough_Rock
I may be stating the obvious, but someone here told me that the macro setting is the "flower icon" on the camera. If they would have just said to use macro, I would''ve been digging out my camera manual to find out what macro was!

Turn ON that flower icon and you''ll take better pictures immediately.

Good luck,
Wendy

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 9:33:55 AM
Author: Whill381
I may be stating the obvious, but someone here told me that the macro setting is the ''flower icon'' on the camera. If they would have just said to use macro, I would''ve been digging out my camera manual to find out what macro was!

Good luck,
Wendy
Oh holy cow. THAT''S what macro is??? I thought my camera didn''t have that setting.
23.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 9:33:55 AM
Author: Whill381
I may be stating the obvious, but someone here told me that the macro setting is the ''flower icon'' on the camera. If they would have just said to use macro, I would''ve been digging out my camera manual to find out what macro was!

Good luck,
Wendy
That''s what I would do too. Is that a bad thing, to have look at the manual?
33.gif

Whill381

Rough_Rock
Haha...it was Stone Hunter who told me the flower icon was macro mode...just the other day, I learned about this. So, I can''t take the credit.

And no, it''s not a bad thing to have to look something up in the manual, if you can FIND the manual. That''s the tricky part for me.

Now I know. Flower icon =""s Macro Mode. GOT IT!

9.gif
Wendy

NYPrincess

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the instructions fellow PSers however, I tried the "flower" button and I still can''t get good closeups in focus. There must be something else that I am missing. I have two digital cameras. One is a Canon that is way too complicated for me to use and the other one is a small Nikon. I''ve tried taking photos with both cameras.

If anyone knows why the "flower" button or macro button doesn''t entirely help this problem, please let me know. I guess I could read the manual(s) but I still might not be able to determine what else I need to do as I am not very camera savvy.

Help!

7.gif

Celeste555

Rough_Rock
I am no photography expert but try placing your camera on a steady surface (e.g., table top) and position your ring so that you can just press the button while the camera is sitting firm on the table. I find that part of the problem of trying to get good pics is that my hand is never steady enough! Or if you have a tripod that would work too.

jason2007

Rough_Rock
I know that on the camera I used (Canon Powershot S2) if you hold down the Macro button for a few seconds it goes into ''Super-Macro'' mode which allows you capture objects at 1:1, right up against the lens.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/21/2007 5:19:56 PM
Author: Celeste555
I am no photography expert but try placing your camera on a steady surface (e.g., table top) and position your ring so that you can just press the button while the camera is sitting firm on the table. I find that part of the problem of trying to get good pics is that my hand is never steady enough! Or if you have a tripod that would work too.
This is a good suggeston. Holding still is KEY.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results